Caffeine/hydration gameplan? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ironbmike

Bronze

Caffeine/hydration gameplan?

Post by ironbmike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 pm

For you caffeine drinkers out there, what's your plan? I'm going to avoid it for the test because it always makes me need to go to the bathroom. But, I might keep a can of soda in my car for lunch if I need a boost for the afternoon sessions. But I'm thinking that I should stop drinking caffeine now, a week out, to let my body acclimate a bit. I'm on one cup of coffee per day right now (not a ton).

As for hydration, it usually takes about an hour (I think) for water to go through the system. So I plan to get super hydrated the day before, then wake up an hour before I want to leave for the exam and first-thing chug a bunch of water, then hopefully pee before I leave the house. Then on break, immediately chug water and then stop so that I can hopefully pee before the afternoon session begins.

0lol

New

Re: Caffeine/hydration gameplan?

Post by 0lol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:05 pm

10 cups a day

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm

ironbmike wrote:For you caffeine drinkers out there, what's your plan? I'm going to avoid it for the test because it always makes me need to go to the bathroom. But, I might keep a can of soda in my car for lunch if I need a boost for the afternoon sessions. But I'm thinking that I should stop drinking caffeine now, a week out, to let my body acclimate a bit. I'm on one cup of coffee per day right now (not a ton).

As for hydration, it usually takes about an hour (I think) for water to go through the system. So I plan to get super hydrated the day before, then wake up an hour before I want to leave for the exam and first-thing chug a bunch of water, then hopefully pee before I leave the house. Then on break, immediately chug water and then stop so that I can hopefully pee before the afternoon session begins.
Don't overthink the water deal. Hydrating leads to greater brain power and likely quicker performance. If need be, you take a bathroom break mid-exam. Have you taken any practice exams? I'd plan to take one bathroom break during the middle of each session if you do value your hydrating for test-taking.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:33 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:For you caffeine drinkers out there, what's your plan? I'm going to avoid it for the test because it always makes me need to go to the bathroom. But, I might keep a can of soda in my car for lunch if I need a boost for the afternoon sessions. But I'm thinking that I should stop drinking caffeine now, a week out, to let my body acclimate a bit. I'm on one cup of coffee per day right now (not a ton).

Don't overthink the water deal. Hydrating leads to greater brain power and likely quicker performance. If need be, you take a bathroom break mid-exam. Have you taken any practice exams? I'd plan to take one bathroom break during the middle of each session if you do value your hydrating for test-taking.
Yeah, on my practice I allowed one bathroom break and still finished in time.

But I prefer to play it "safe" and allow bank time.

Near

New

Post by Near » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Can we bring in caffeine pills?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imnottelling

New

Post by imnottelling » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:04 pm

I am only allowed to take in a liter of water and a "non-distracting" snack. I've been drinking 4-6 liters of water per day while studying. Need to work on getting used to a little less. I plan on doing a cup or two of coffee in the morning with plenty of time to let it's effects sink in. I also have caffeinated mints to get me through. I always want a little bit of caffeine about halfway through a 3 hour exam. As for snacks, something with a relatively quick acting carb and maybe a little bit a fat, like a granola bar.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:08 pm

imnottelling wrote:I am only allowed to take in a liter of water and a "non-distracting" snack. I've been drinking 4-6 liters of water per day while studying. Need to work on getting used to a little less. I plan on doing a cup or two of coffee in the morning with plenty of time to let it's effects sink in. I also have caffeinated mints to get me through. I always want a little bit of caffeine about halfway through a 3 hour exam. As for snacks, something with a relatively quick acting carb and maybe a little bit a fat, like a granola bar.
Caffeinated mint, now that's interesting. What brand?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Monster energy works like a charm for me. I'll probably have to pee multiple times during each session. Oh well.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Near wrote:Can we bring in caffeine pills?
Depends on your state. In my state...ahem, commonwealth...we get to bring nothing. Not even water.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:28 pm

ironbmike wrote:
imnottelling wrote:I am only allowed to take in a liter of water and a "non-distracting" snack. I've been drinking 4-6 liters of water per day while studying. Need to work on getting used to a little less. I plan on doing a cup or two of coffee in the morning with plenty of time to let it's effects sink in. I also have caffeinated mints to get me through. I always want a little bit of caffeine about halfway through a 3 hour exam. As for snacks, something with a relatively quick acting carb and maybe a little bit a fat, like a granola bar.
I used these during the last bar exam (I'm taking a different state this summer): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BTMGKS/re ... 0J6E52PQQY

I use them when I run/bike, so I already knew how I would react to them. There are multiple flavors, and you can find them at most sporting goods/running stores.
Last edited by squiggle on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Near

New

Post by Near » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm

ironbmike wrote:
Near wrote:Can we bring in caffeine pills?
Depends on your state. In my state...ahem, commonwealth...we get to bring nothing. Not even water.
Hmm my state allows us to bring "medications." I'll choose to interpret this broadly.

imnottelling

New

Post by imnottelling » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm

squiggle wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
I used these during the last bar exam (I'm taking a different state this summer): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BTMGKS/re ... 0J6E52PQQY

I use them when I run/bike, so I already knew how I would react to them. There are multiple flavors, and you can find them at most sporting goods/running stores.
I like the jelly beans for long bike rides, but other than that, they kind of leave a sticky feeling in my mouth. For caffeine mints, I got these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01017R9ZA/re ... 66401&sr=1

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

ironbmike wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:

Yeah, on my practice I allowed one bathroom break and still finished in time.

But I prefer to play it "safe" and allow bank time.
I don't know about you, but when I need to pee while doing questions, it slows me down a little bit. So consider that when deciding to bank the time. Will not going to the bathroom slow you down to the point that you're not actually saving time?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Do hardboiled eggs count as non-distracting if not in a shell? What about bread? These statutes would be unconstitutionally vague if the NY Bar were considered a state actor.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:24 pm

I had a caffeine pill right before walking into the room and then had a 5-hour energy on the break. Minimized liquid while maximizing caffeine.

I didn't drink anything for probably the 2 and a half hour leading up to the test but had a few glasses of water before that.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:47 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
Do hardboiled eggs count as non-distracting if not in a shell? What about bread? These statutes would be unconstitutionally vague if the NY Bar were considered a state actor.
I feel bad for whoever has to sit next to you. The smell of a hard boiled egg is intense.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
I feel bad for whoever has to sit next to you. The smell of a hard boiled egg is intense.
Barely any smell at all, surprisingly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0lol

New

Post by 0lol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:These statutes would be unconstitutionally vague if the NY Bar were considered a state actor.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

fly_lawy3r

New

Post by fly_lawy3r » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:41 pm

We can't bring in anything in Texas. Planning on having a caffeine source in the car to access before the afternoon sessions.

resipsajob

New

Post by resipsajob » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 am

How much of a pain are they regarding breaks? Is it like the LSAT where getting permission to get up takes you more time than you are actually out of the room?

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am

When I took the bar I loaded up on water and caffeine, I also was familiar with the test building (my law school) and knew where the bathrooms were located. I went all 4 sessions, and it actually calmed me down for those 30 seconds.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

teabreeze

New

Post by teabreeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:09 pm

resipsajob wrote:How much of a pain are they regarding breaks? Is it like the LSAT where getting permission to get up takes you more time than you are actually out of the room?
I don't remember having to ask for permission in NY or CA. I think you can just get up and go. Though maybe it depends on the testing site.

resipsajob

New

Post by resipsajob » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm

teabreeze wrote:
resipsajob wrote:How much of a pain are they regarding breaks? Is it like the LSAT where getting permission to get up takes you more time than you are actually out of the room?
I don't remember having to ask for permission in NY or CA. I think you can just get up and go. Though maybe it depends on the testing site.
That's good to hear. The LSAT proctors made it a huge affair.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:08 pm

When I took the bar, I filled a water bottle with half-monster/half-water so that I'd be caffeinated but hydrated. I had to use the bathroom a few times, but it actually gave me a reason to walk, stretch, get the blood circulating, clear my head, etc.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:

Peeled hardboiled eggs and bread should be okay. I brought jerky and PB+J sandwiches (in addition to my Monster/Water combo, see above), and nobody complained.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”