Underlining/ emphasizing words in the essays Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
plath

New

Underlining/ emphasizing words in the essays

Post by plath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 am

What are your thoughts on using underline/bold text to make the essays clearer? I obviously do not mean underlining the whole thing but rather emphasizing buzz words to help the reader help me. I haven't used SofTest before but I think it is possible.

Anyone get any input from their prep-course on that? Is that recommended?

peanut123

New

Re: Underlining/ emphasizing words in the essays

Post by peanut123 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:10 am

Used softest in law school and there were formatting options to bold/underline/italicize. This is just personal opinion as I haven't heard anything from Barbri or another authority on it, but I am thinking I'll use it for my headings/subheadings (probably bold and underline) and then sparingly underline in the text for organization. I will probably not use any formatting for the sake of emphasis. I would just think if the graders are reading hundreds (? thousands?) of essays, they will get to a point where their eyes play tricks and it could end up having the opposite effect (like how no one reads indented quoted paragraphs or footnotes). Just my thoughts.

plath

New

Post by plath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:41 pm

peanut123 wrote:Used softest in law school and there were formatting options to bold/underline/italicize. This is just personal opinion as I haven't heard anything from Barbri or another authority on it, but I am thinking I'll use it for my headings/subheadings (probably bold and underline) and then sparingly underline in the text for organization. I will probably not use any formatting for the sake of emphasis. I would just think if the graders are reading hundreds (? thousands?) of essays, they will get to a point where their eyes play tricks and it could end up having the opposite effect (like how no one reads indented quoted paragraphs or footnotes). Just my thoughts.

Yep that's what I thought. But then I feel like if it was something worth doing Barbri would have mentioned it whenever they could (also, the model essay have no formatting whatsoever)
Last edited by plath on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peanut123

New

Post by peanut123 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:00 pm

It's also entirely possible that SofTest will not allow formatting for the bar exam. I think when I was playing with a mock exam, it didn't allow copy/paste, which is a normal feature I used on law school exams.

The model answers in my essay book have subheadings bolded, but it's not clear if that was original or not (since obviously many of them were written in the pre-laptop days).

plath

New

Post by plath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pm

peanut123 wrote:It's also entirely possible that SofTest will not allow formatting for the bar exam. I think when I was playing with a mock exam, it didn't allow copy/paste, which is a normal feature I used on law school exams.

The model answers in my essay book have subheadings bolded, but it's not clear if that was original or not (since obviously many of them were written in the pre-laptop days).
I actually recall that copy and pasting, as well as underlining, was available. It's also noted on my SofTest page if I enter with my BOLE ID. Then again it may change b/w states. I'm taking NY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

peanut123

New

Post by peanut123 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm

plath wrote:
peanut123 wrote:It's also entirely possible that SofTest will not allow formatting for the bar exam. I think when I was playing with a mock exam, it didn't allow copy/paste, which is a normal feature I used on law school exams.

I actually recall that copy and pasting, as well as underlining, was available. It's also noted on my SofTest page if I enter with my BOLE ID. Then again it may change b/w states. I'm taking NY
That is fabulous news. (Also taking NY). I copy and paste like a crazy person during MPTs just so I can quickly see my rules right in front of me.

plath

New

Post by plath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 pm

peanut123 wrote:
plath wrote:

That is fabulous news. (Also taking NY). I copy and paste like a crazy person during MPTs just so I can quickly see my rules right in front of me.
Please double check me as my brain has come to a stage where when it does not know something it makes it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”