Five Weeks Till the Bar and Buckling Down Now Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
thesteelers

Bronze

Five Weeks Till the Bar and Buckling Down Now

Post by thesteelers » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I spent this past month barely glancing at the material because I had to work to make rent/bills and was still trying to find a job. Now my parents have sent me money for July and I've decided to forget the job search until I pass the bar.

I have a bunch of practice material and essay books and outlines from Amazon. I plan to literally study 19 hours a day from now till July 28th.

Is this doable? More importantly, has anyone done this?

ran12

Silver

Re: Five Weeks Till the Bar and Buckling Down Now

Post by ran12 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Definitely doable and it won't take 19 hours a day. First month of bar prep, at least for Barbri, is for things like watching lectures, doing a read through of material, and practice questions. Doing just that bare minimum doesn't take more than 5 or 6 hours a day and probably less time for those who watch lectures at 1.5-2.0 speed. Since you're not even going to have to worry about lectures, you should be able to have more than enough time to read and memorize material, and do practice questions and essays.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 pm

bro youre fine the first 4 weeks of barbri have been fill in the handout for 4 hours a day and the fail a bunch of practice questions because you don't have anything memorized. I think right about now is when shit starts to get real and people actually start "studying." What state are you taking btw?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 pm

19 hours/day is a poor idea, you will kill yourself before the bar.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 pm

You're fine, just get it together soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:19 am

10 hrs/day, 7 days/week would be more than enough I think.
Roughly 9-1, 3-7, 8-10
Just come up with a good use of your time like MWF mornings review mbe subject outlines etc
then MWF afternoons do MBE Qs and 1 essay
and TR do PTs in the morning and memorizing/flashcards in the evening or more MBE/essay as you see fit and go from there..
maybe do state specific stuff on the weekends?

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks guys. Haha this is rough but I'm starting to feel more confident. I'm just skipping the lectures and going straight to the outlines and memorizing the BLL.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Also, this is for New York. My friend offered to let me watch her online Kaplan lectures but I just decided I didn't have time.

Luckily I already took a lot of bar-related classes in law school so this stuff isn't entirely new to me. I just keep telling myself "you just need a C"

ShitLawOrBust

Bronze

Post by ShitLawOrBust » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:04 pm

you're fine. no need to begin studying until after july 4 IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:39 am

ShitLawOrBust wrote:you're fine. no need to begin studying until after july 4 IMO
Srs? Even for the "hard" jurisdictions? I mean I have been studying my ass off but am curious of ppl do this.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am

MoneyMay wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:you're fine. no need to begin studying until after july 4 IMO
Srs? Even for the "hard" jurisdictions? I mean I have been studying my ass off but am curious of ppl do this.
People definitely do this. I've had attorneys tell me that they were working full time, planning weddings, and moving cross country prior to the bar. The prep? They went to Tampa 10 days before the bar exam and took the crash course. This was in the 80s, but you get the idea. Personally, it's a big enough test, that I wouldn't monkey around with this approach (really don't want to be the asshole that walks into the managing partner's office after working for a couple weeks and says, "soooo...that bar thing? yeah, failed it," because I didn't study), but it is doable. I think it's just a personal comfort thing and what one has to do.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:19 am

alicrimson wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
People definitely do this. I've had attorneys tell me that they were working full time, planning weddings, and moving cross country prior to the bar. The prep? They went to Tampa 10 days before the bar exam and took the crash course. This was in the 80s, but you get the idea. Personally, it's a big enough test, that I wouldn't monkey around with this approach (really don't want to be the asshole that walks into the managing partner's office after working for a couple weeks and says, "soooo...that bar thing? yeah, failed it," because I didn't study), but it is doable. I think it's just a personal comfort thing and what one has to do.
I wish I was brave enough to that, June was awful lol and I am sure July will be worse. But yeah I am with you, I want to do this ONCE and only once.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah, June was a special month. I was working to make rent/bills and pay for my bar prep materials.

Okay guys I've been memorizing rule statements the past few days but the Kaplan outlines I bought from Amazon don't really help with the application of it. I was more hoping for the kind of outlines people would make for class in law school. If any Feb 2014/July 2013 NY bar exam takers are online and would be kind enough to email their outlines to me, I'll give you major karma points and I'll of course be happy to share the wealth with anyone who asks. I just need an outline that has like one/two line explanations for some of the rules or isn't just the statute copied verbatim. My email: thesteelers89@gmail.com

If it helps anyone else, my strategy starting Monday is to just beast through the MBE problems and do up to 200 per day if not more, just really drill the concepts. I tried a practice set two days ago and noticed that they had virtually nothing to do with the law stated in my bar prep materials, so I think getting familiar with the problems is key.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Just popping in to say thanks to the guys who emailed me outlines, major props.

*ducks back out to study*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”