FLORIDA BAR - JULY 2014 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hous

Bronze

Re: FLORIDA BAR - JULY 2014

Post by hous » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:36 pm

South Florida, received my letter today.

153/155 - Themis. Definitely reflects how I felt about Themis' Florida material. I thought I killed the essays and bombed the MC, I probably did. I literally only knew maybe 10 Florida MC questions and guessed between 2-4 on the other 90.

I only did about 33% of the MBE question sets because it was my strongpoint in bar prep. I did 100% of the Florida material. I feel like I wasn't prepared for the Florida MC and over prepared for essays.

EDIT: I did 100% of the mbe lectures / handouts. The 33% was just the portion of the practice sets that I completed.

GatorLaw124

New

Post by GatorLaw124 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:55 pm

FL 160/ MBE 157.

Barbri.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:13 pm

168 FL/165 MBE. Surprising. I found the FL stuff much less difficult than MBE. Thought that would be a tank fest. Oh, and Barbri.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 pm

alicrimson wrote:168 FL/165 MBE. Surprising. I found the FL stuff much less difficult than MBE. Thought that would be a tank fest. Oh, and Barbri.
Everyone that took Barbri said the Florida MC section was cake. Everyone else felt they bombed it. I think the scores reveal barbri nailed it.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:32 pm

hous wrote:
alicrimson wrote:168 FL/165 MBE. Surprising. I found the FL stuff much less difficult than MBE. Thought that would be a tank fest. Oh, and Barbri.
Everyone that took Barbri said the Florida MC section was cake. Everyone else felt they bombed it. I think the scores reveal barbri nailed it.
Barbri definitely nailed it. They bailed me out as my essays were poor yet still got a 160.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:17 am

plouis wrote:151/152!

Still no C&F. At least I have "priority."

Is that a thing? If we passed the Bar Exam and are waiting on C&F we are a "priority" for getting cleared? They are just waiting on some more references from me which I had people send out on Tuesday morning(some of them were sent next day air). Does anyone know the day the board meets? I think it might be the last business day of the month, because my results letter dated my status as of August 29th, 2014.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am

For those of you who took Barbri, how does your MBE scaled score compare to your Barbri midterm score? Assuming a 10-15 point scale, is it better, worse, or about the same? I've seen some Themis folks saying their practice test scores generally reflected their actual score, and I'm curious if the same is true for some of you Barbri folks.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:11 am

sherpaorlawschool wrote:For those of you who took Barbri, how does your MBE scaled score compare to your Barbri midterm score? Assuming a 10-15 point scale, is it better, worse, or about the same? I've seen some Themis folks saying their practice test scores generally reflected their actual score, and I'm curious if the same is true for some of you Barbri folks.
My raw on the simulated MBE was 147 and my scaled score on the actual exam was 170, so take that as you will.

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:05 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:For those of you who took Barbri, how does your MBE scaled score compare to your Barbri midterm score? Assuming a 10-15 point scale, is it better, worse, or about the same? I've seen some Themis folks saying their practice test scores generally reflected their actual score, and I'm curious if the same is true for some of you Barbri folks.
On the simulated MBE I scored 115 and on the actual exam I score 158. I attribute the jump to actually focusing on my weak areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neveragain224

New

Post by neveragain224 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Just got scores today! Took Themis and got a 159 on the Florida portion and a 166 on the MBE. Still waiting to be authorized to be sworn in - letter says that I've now been given priority, so I guess that's a good sign...

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Still waiting...

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Got a 148 raw score on Barbri Simulated MBE, which was a 96 percentile. I scored 164 on the real MBE that's about 95percentile according to this https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/percent ... s-feb-2014

WhoMovedMyCakeBatter

New

Post by WhoMovedMyCakeBatter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:24 pm

If you don't care about anything else (and trust me, it's long-winded babble) I got a 131 on Florida Part A, a 150 on Part B. FAIL, PASS, PASS, YES for an overall pass. Yahoo!

I created an account just to post this, because man it sure seems like everybody posting passed the Florida Bar with flying colors. I cannot possibly be the only passer who did not have such stellar passing margins.

I've already passed one Bar before taking Florida. An experienced Bar taker knows the best way to practice essays is, after reviewing the subjects a lot, don't waste your time doing practice essays - the real money is in reading the PRACTICE ESSAY ANSWERS, for it is in those answers that you will find out a lot. When reading an essay for a subject, the stuff that comes up that you already know, you'll know it. But the stuff you didn't know, you'll remember it simply because you didn't know it. I mean, it was hilarious for my first bar, the very first essay question was about the same topic as the very first practice essay - I blew the practice essay but aced it on the Bar because of that practice miss. This led to me presumably being money on my Florida essays. I mean straight up, I made a pile of every single topic for FL essay answers, printed out every practice essay provided by the Board of Bar Examiners, and just straight read them 10 times each. That is the best essay prep you could do.

BUT DAMN THAT FLORIDA MULTIPLE CHOICE WAS HARD AS CRAP! I legit was only sure on 16 out of the 100. Another 10 were good guesses. Truth is, over 60 I had no freaking idea. I spent months believing I failed the exam because of the multiple choice, only to be told this is how everyone feels. I guess it must be!

I just wanted to rep for the people that passed and didn't ace the exam. 131 on Florida - not great! But it doesn't matter, I get sworn in anyway. There must be others out there! Even if this forum self-selects for people that are "smart" I mean, I can't be the only one who failed Part A! :) Don't get me wrong, a super high bar score is badass, not saying it's bad in any way. But not everybody can have one, come on people, out of the woodwork!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm

haha yeah TLS is a bad place if you want to feel like you've got your shit together. The OCI thread was full of people saying if you didn't wear cap toe shoes (as a guy) then you're pretty much throwing jobs away.

Congrats on passing another bar!

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:43 am

Has anyone been sworn in yet? Do you need something from the mailing to be sworn in?

clebert

New

Post by clebert » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 pm

I took Themis as well and got: 156 Florida / 166 MBE

I was shocked to do that well on Florida because I was getting very low scores from my Themis advisor on my practice essays (15 was my lowest, and 33 was my highest), and I truly had NO IDEA what the answer was on most of the corporations FMCs and swear that half of the corporations law they tested was nowhere to be found in the Themis outline or lectures.

I previously took the full bar exam in Minnesota using BarBri in July 2001, and I took the essay portion only in South Dakota in February 2002 just relying on my studying with BarBri from July and not really studying any more. But those are two of the easier states. South Dakota is supposed to be the easiest state of all.

So Themis came through for me. They claimed that their goal was to prepare students to pass "easily" so I guess that ended up being true.

But now I'm wishing I wouldn't have spent so much time studying! I hauled those &#*@ green books to Hawaii and back and all around the contiguous US, too! Haha!
neveragain224 wrote:Just got scores today! Took Themis and got a 159 on the Florida portion and a 166 on the MBE. Still waiting to be authorized to be sworn in - letter says that I've now been given priority, so I guess that's a good sign...

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 pm

bld2414 wrote:Has anyone been sworn in yet? Do you need something from the mailing to be sworn in?
I was sworn in today. A form with the oath and a place for a notary signature comes in the mail. You need to send this in for your bar number. So, you're either going to have to wait or get sworn in by someone who has these forms on hand. I know some state attorney/pd type places have them. So do some judges or schools that do a big swearing ceremony. Unfortunately, we won't have bar numbers for 3-4 weeks after swear in. Fortunately, we can still practice, we just have to write pending instead of a bar number.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:21 am

alicrimson wrote:
bld2414 wrote:Has anyone been sworn in yet? Do you need something from the mailing to be sworn in?
I was sworn in today. A form with the oath and a place for a notary signature comes in the mail. You need to send this in for your bar number. So, you're either going to have to wait or get sworn in by someone who has these forms on hand. I know some state attorney/pd type places have them. So do some judges or schools that do a big swearing ceremony. Unfortunately, we won't have bar numbers for 3-4 weeks after swear in. Fortunately, we can still practice, we just have to write pending instead of a bar number.
WE LAWYERS WOOP

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 am

After hearing about the lower than normal pass rates it was especially good to learn that all of our new hires passed. We can throw a celebration without the awkwardness of excluding someone. :)

pricesquire

New

Post by pricesquire » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am

I registered just to: (1) add a data-point, and (2) ask a question.

Data point:

FAIL PASS PASS NO

So, the good news is: I passed (via the Overall Method)!!! :D - I'll never have to take that stinkin' test again.

Used Kaplan's online prep. No live classes, just prerecorded videos & book work.

I felt terribly underprepared for the FL section, and lo and behold, I failed the FL section!

Luckily I crushed the MBE!

No idea what's holding up my app though, as my letter didn't really explain, other than saying "if your application is in order, you'll be given priority" -- and something about :apps take 6-8 months to process" - didn't submit my app until April, so assuming it's just a timing issue.

That said, is there ANY way to check online regarding an application status? Assuming the answer is no, but this is the place to ask!

silky bruh

Bronze

Post by silky bruh » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Did they give us an envelope to return the oath in? I can't remember, don't want to send it to the wrong address if I can help it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm

silky bruh wrote:Did they give us an envelope to return the oath in? I can't remember, don't want to send it to the wrong address if I can help it.
They did in mine.

Got my bar number today in an email.

fsunoles88

New

Post by fsunoles88 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Does anyone know when the Florida Bar member website will be updated showing our names on there? And when we will receive our Bar card? I submitted my oath on 9/26.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm

fsunoles88 wrote:Does anyone know when the Florida Bar member website will be updated showing our names on there? And when we will receive our Bar card? I submitted my oath on 9/26.
I was told its generally a week to receive the bar card. We should get them at any moment.

I submitted mine around the same time and I haven't received an email with my number. Did anyone else receive that email?

fsunoles88

New

Post by fsunoles88 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 pm

hous wrote:
fsunoles88 wrote:Does anyone know when the Florida Bar member website will be updated showing our names on there? And when we will receive our Bar card? I submitted my oath on 9/26.
I was told its generally a week to receive the bar card. We should get them at any moment.

I submitted mine around the same time and I haven't received an email with my number. Did anyone else receive that email?
I haven't received anything in my email. I didn't even know the Florida Bar corresponds via email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”