Pepperdine 1L's Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: Pepperdine 1L's Taking Questions

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:06 pm

I don't suppose you know of anyone who commutes from Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena? If you do, I'd love to know average commute times. Ugh.... :|

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:49 am

taytay wrote:I am very interested in entertainment law. it is also the primary reason I chose to apply to pepperdine and loyola, both apparently strong in the field. I realize this is can be a strange field to work in and that it is often connections that are most important.

does pepperdine have a strong alumni base in the entertainment field? in some of my research I also noticed that a pepperdine alumni is the head of uva and it listed as being strong in the field on its tls profile. also do you think going to pepperdine gives a big advantage in making connections in the field while in school there or are you pretty much on your own?
Pepp is supposed to be strong in this area, but I suspect this has mostly to do with its los angeles externship programs, and alumni who are willing to take people in...
I have now heard repeatedly from those who do very well in this field that it is one of the most remarkably difficult to break into, especially straight out of school. That said, Pepperdine does place a good amount of people in the kind of externship positions in this field that may be necessary to set yourself up for those opportunities.

The CDO also makes a concerted effort to provide networking opportunities in this area.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:12 pm

taytay wrote:I am very interested in entertainment law. it is also the primary reason I chose to apply to pepperdine and loyola, both apparently strong in the field. I realize this is can be a strange field to work in and that it is often connections that are most important.

does pepperdine have a strong alumni base in the entertainment field? in some of my research I also noticed that a pepperdine alumni is the head of uva and it listed as being strong in the field on its tls profile. also do you think going to pepperdine gives a big advantage in making connections in the field while in school there or are you pretty much on your own?
The Entertainment Law Society is really good; they bring in a ton of cool speakers and setup networking events, the older students are also very willing to help 1L's. The club is subdivided by Film Industry, Sports, and Music Industry type jobs with a liaison for each. There's also an entertainment law externships for the school year through the Clinical programs.

Mr. Matlock wrote:I don't suppose you know of anyone who commutes from Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena? If you do, I'd love to know average commute times. Ugh.... :|
Google is probably fairly accurate cuz they usually list the estimated time in traffic and w/o. On the bright side (or down side) as a 1L your classes usually start at 8 fall semester and your done just after noon; so it helps to beat the bad traffic by getting in early and leaving early.

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 am

Does the school's conservative bias reflect in the social scene? Do people ever drink, and if they do, does it happen exclusively off campus? Are the students outgoing? What would you suggest to someone coming from across the country who doesn't know anyone, but likes to make and have friends? Would he/she have a tough time making any? How is the quality of life? Do you need a car to get everywhere? Do you feel isolated on campus?

Can you expand on the international law opportunities available?

How valuable is the Dispute Resolution program? Is it highly sought after by firms or employers?

If you NEED top10% for biglaw, what do the majority of students do after graduation?

Is a Pepperdine degree portable in California? Does it have a reputation in NorCal?

Thanks a lot, this helps a ton!

orko60

New

Post by orko60 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 am

I got an email the other day about the joint JD/MDR program. I talked to someone at the school, and they made the program seem great. I think that starting this summer, before the law program actually begins, would be fine with me. My only question is, is this all worth it? Are there any tangible benefits from getting two degrees? Does a concentration in Dispute Resolution make you sexier in the face of employers?

Thanks in advance! I'd really like to go in the fall; we'll see if I get any better offers from other schools. Right now, Pepp is my #1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Grad09 wrote:Does the school's conservative bias reflect in the social scene? Do people ever drink, and if they do, does it happen exclusively off campus? Are the students outgoing? What would you suggest to someone coming from across the country who doesn't know anyone, but likes to make and have friends? Would he/she have a tough time making any? How is the quality of life? Do you need a car to get everywhere? Do you feel isolated on campus?

How valuable is the Dispute Resolution program? Is it highly sought after by firms or employers?

If you NEED top10% for biglaw, what do the majority of students do after graduation?

Is a Pepperdine degree portable in California? Does it have a reputation in NorCal?

I'll just answer the questions that I have knowledge about. Someone else can address the rest. As for the social scene, Pepperdine won't be much different than any other school. Many students drink, but drinking is not allowed on campus. It happens, but there are consequences if you get caught. There is "Bar Review" every Thursday night. Most of the time the events are located in Santa Monica or on this side of L.A. Some people complain about having to drive to get anywhere, but most people that I know don't seem to have much of a problem.

The students here are very outgoing. I moved 2,000 miles across the country to attend. Other than my wife, I didn't really know anyone. There are plenty of opportunities to meet people. In your first week, you have orientation. There are events where you will be with your entire class (around 240 people). Then there are times when you will be with your section (about 80 people). They divide it even further for your "mentor groups." These groups have a faculty advisor and two older students who serve as mentors (basically, they help you adjust to top-law-schools.com). There are 15-16 people in those groups. The whole orientation process helps get you situated. If you live on campus, meeting people and making friends is even easier.

I would recommend a car, but it is not absolutely necessary. There is a free shuttle that will take you anywhere on campus and to select locations in Malibu (e.g. Ralph's for groceries). You can always pay for a shuttle service to get you to the airport.

Having a car just makes things easier. You will want to get out of Malibu sometimes to shop, eat, go to movies, etc. It would be a pain always having to bum a ride.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Grad09 wrote:Does the school's conservative bias reflect in the social scene? Do people ever drink, and if they do, does it happen exclusively off campus? Are the students outgoing? What would you suggest to someone coming from across the country who doesn't know anyone, but likes to make and have friends? Would he/she have a tough time making any? How is the quality of life? Do you need a car to get everywhere? Do you feel isolated on campus?

1. The social scene here seems very good. Thursday night bar-reviews are heavily attended and can get kinda crazy; they tend to be in Santa Monica/Hollywood/LA. Also there is a large formal/dance each semester. And the student government holds random weekend events for those who have the time. Strongly recommend a car. I don't live on campus so I can't speak to that much.

2. International Opportunities = Large London program. Full time faculty over there, school owns a large building where you live and have class; also possible to get internships with barristers while there. Fairly large groups of students go every summer and fall.
Germany program= much smaller, handful of students and a couple dedicated professors, supposed to be very cool but study abroad's always tend to have an awesome rep.
Uganda= several students go and work with the Uganda supreme court over the summer. Get to work on HUGE UN treaties and other hardcore serious stuff, cuz they need all the help they can get there. Also I've heard of Africa trips with professors to help prisoners who have been incarcerated for a long time w/o trial since alot of the justice systems are seriously backed up.
Thailand/South East Asia: students help stop sex trafficking of children etc.

You can also create your own program, just talk to the Administration; just keep in mind on all this international stuff that I'm no expert this is just the info that I have heard.

3. Most students seem to do government work, public interest, or small-mid-sized law firm private practice. From my experience here, most of the people who come here are not interested in BIG law (myself excluded - i'm currently interest in everything :D)

4. I'm not sure how portable a degree is in norcal, we tend to be strong in LA and the OC or Socal generally. Since norcal has a ton of law schools I would think were not that strong there, although as the school continues to improve so will degree portability.

tdaly01

New

Post by tdaly01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Is there any benefit in your application if you have gone to Catholic school your whole life, (grade school, hs, ug) are Catholic, and are active in the church? Or not really because Pepperdine is Protestant.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 pm

tdaly01 wrote:Is there any benefit in your application if you have gone to Catholic school your whole life, (grade school, hs, ug) are Catholic, and are active in the church? Or not really because Pepperdine is Protestant.
They prefer applicants who are religious (or just who aren't atheist) - so it might help you a bit that you went to catholic school if you expand on the role going to religious school has played in your life. You could be buddist or muslim and they would be just as happy (and maybe more happy w/ an even bigger boost) so catholic =/= protestant not a big deal at all.

If you are active in your church I am sure they would appreciate that. They generally just like people to talk about the greater good and spirituality in the mission statement IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

orko60

New

Post by orko60 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:12 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
tdaly01 wrote:Is there any benefit in your application if you have gone to Catholic school your whole life, (grade school, hs, ug) are Catholic, and are active in the church? Or not really because Pepperdine is Protestant.
They prefer applicants who are religious (or just who aren't atheist) - so it might help you a bit that you went to catholic school if you expand on the role going to religious school has played in your life. You could be buddist or muslim and they would be just as happy (and maybe more happy w/ an even bigger boost) so catholic =/= protestant not a big deal at all.

If you are active in your church I am sure they would appreciate that. They generally just like people to talk about the greater good and spirituality in the mission statement IMO
I got in as an Atheist. I think I might have mentioned that I am a non-believer in my Mission Statement response. There's hope for us!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

i have a question: is Gatriel subscribed to this thread?

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 pm

fatduck wrote:i have a question: is Gatriel subscribed to this thread?
am now :?:

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I don't suppose you know of anyone who commutes from Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena? If you do, I'd love to know average commute times. Ugh.... :|
Are you from around here? I live in Pasadena and commuted to Sherman oaks for 3 years. On a good day it took 45 mins, on a bad day an hour and a half. It's another 20 mins (roughly) to Pepperdine. If you can avoid the commute, do it. Ill be moving to the Sherman Oaks area, and that's still a little far away. Think of all the hours you could be studying but instead spent in traffic. If it can be avoided at all, avoid living on the East Side of town. Not being overly dramatic, but that kind of time in the car everyday really wears you down. PM me if you want more info on traffic times/where to live/etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 pm

and gatriel, were you one of the panelists at the new admitted students day?

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm

jstubbs wrote:and gatriel, were you one of the panelists at the new admitted students day?
No, I wasn't. I was helpin out behind the scenes though. I am a mentor for next year. You matriculate?

Like here, I don't have kind things to say about on campus housing, so no matter how much of a Pepperdine Law cheerleader I am, because the school makes so much cash off of on-campus housing, I doubt I'd ever be invited to do something along those lines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”