Is SMU law worth it? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
travlaw

New

Is SMU law worth it?

Post by travlaw » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 pm

What are the job prospects like for someone who graduates from SMU Dedman law?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Re: Is SMU law worth it?

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Excellent if you want to work in Dallas or Texas in general...don't expect the degree to carry very far.

travlaw

New

Post by travlaw » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 pm

what do you mean by carry very far?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 pm

travlaw wrote:what do you mean by carry very far?
You're not exactly going to do great with an SMU degree in NYC, Chicago, or Washington DC.

BoobieMiles

New

Post by BoobieMiles » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 pm

That being said, with Dallas being a rather large legal market and SMU being the most high regarded law school in the area and one of only 3 tier 1's(baylor?) in the whole state the job prospects are likely pretty good. I had a cousin go to SMU for UG and I visited him, the campus is gorgeous and so is the area. The only problem with Dallas is the Cowboys which are the worst thing to ever happen to football/life in general

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t-bone

New

Post by t-bone » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:50 pm

Is SMU more prestigious than UT in Dallas? Or does the "area" just mean the Dallas area?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:52 pm

t-bone wrote:Is SMU more prestigious than UT in Dallas? Or does the "area" just mean the Dallas area?
No, not in a million years. UT owns the state, and definitely are the preference of any Texas school regardless of what city. However, SMU is very, very highly regarded in Dallas and a great 2nd option.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:52 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Excellent if you want to work in Dallas or Texas in general...don't expect the degree to carry very far.
SMU places extremely well in Dallas, but struggles to place outside of Texas and to some extent Houston when compared to peers. I would be very reluctant to pay sticker at SMU. However, the campus and coeds are very nice!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
t-bone wrote:Is SMU more prestigious than UT in Dallas? Or does the "area" just mean the Dallas area?
No, not in a million years. UT owns the state, and definitely are the preference of any Texas school regardless of what city. However, SMU is very, very highly regarded in Dallas and a great 2nd option.
+1,000,000 ... I agree, when considering Texas schools, SMU is your second best choice in Dallas. The fact that they place so many more students in Dallas has a lot more to do with location and self-selection than prestige.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:10 am

UT dominates, and SMU/U of H place well in their respective cities.

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:19 am

Bustang wrote:UT dominates, and SMU/U of H place well in their respective cities.
+1

travlaw

New

Post by travlaw » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:56 am

if someone were to graduate from SMU not in the top 10%, say somewhere in the middle, would it be difficult to get a job as a lawyer?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:00 am

travlaw wrote:if someone were to graduate from SMU not in the top 10%, say somewhere in the middle, would it be difficult to get a job as a lawyer?
of course not...

The thing about TLS is that it's very biglaw-oriented. So when you read someone warning about the dangers of graduating at median from a non-T14, they are saying you are screwed b/c you have no chance to work at a biglaw firm. That and you will probably have to find your own job as your school's career services won't be able to help you much. You'd probably get on at a small firm at around 60k to start, but in the long run you'd be making good money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 am

swheat wrote:
travlaw wrote:if someone were to graduate from SMU not in the top 10%, say somewhere in the middle, would it be difficult to get a job as a lawyer?
of course not...

The thing about TLS is that it's very biglaw-oriented. So when you read someone warning about the dangers of graduating at median from a non-T14, they are saying you are screwed b/c you have no chance to work at a biglaw firm. That and you will probably have to find your own job as your school's career services won't be able to help you much. You'd probably get on at a small firm at around 60k to start, but in the long run you'd be making good money.
TITCR, although it might be more like $45k-$50k.

minnesconsin

New

Post by minnesconsin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 am

Helmholtz wrote:
swheat wrote:
of course not...

TITCR, although it might be more like $45k-$50k.
The good thing is the COL in Texas is relatively low.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Smu grads place very well considering the schools ranking. If you're above the median, I don't think you have a lot to worry about. SMU/U of H aren't like Baylor/Texas Tech.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Bustang wrote:
Smu grads place very well considering the schools ranking. If you're above the median, I don't think you have a lot to worry about. SMU/U of H aren't like Baylor/Texas Tech.
this is probably more like top 25% ... based discussions with former students, a somewhat surprising number of people do come out making close to $150,000 given that the school just barely cracks the T-50, but many have also struggled to find jobs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:40 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
Credited. If you want to work in Dallas, SMU is a great choice. I almost attended SMU this fall, but didn't want to pay sticker (accepted another school's scholarship offer).

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 pm

betasteve wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Bustang wrote:
this is probably more like top 25% ... based discussions with former students, a somewhat surprising number of people do come out making close to $150,000 given that the school just barely cracks the T-50, but many have also struggled to find jobs.
As someone attending SMU this fall, this echos what I've heard so far. A UT grad is likely going to be favored over you/me, and almost certainly if they ranked similarly. However, from what I hear, top 10%/Law Review will land you a Biglaw in Texas gig at the higher Vault ranked firms. Top 25% makes ti more of a struggle/competition, and then I hear it is hit and miss past that. Not that you won't find a job, but that you won't be making market. Given the placement ability, SMU should really be ranked in the 30's, but I think their part time program hurt them a little, as does peer review I think, given how insular they are in Dallas.
Agreed. On another note, I think that SMU will be an interesting school to watch in years to come. For SMU to really turn the corner though, I think that they have to get beyond only placing well in Dallas. The PT program is also relatively very new so I believe that the USNWR lackluster ranking will be reversed in years to come.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:42 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

Yes, in a million years. I live in Dallas, and it is much easier to get a job in Dallas if you went to SMU. My boyfriend graduated SMU law, and I know a lot of his classmates took a great majority of the spots in the top firms in the area. If you went to UT, you can get a job (and a great one at that), but you have to make a really good effort to work in Dallas during the summer. Though, UT is the better law school, obvisously. If you want to work in Dallas you just have to work at it. I'd be willing to do it, definitely, its just that SMU has a HUGE alumni netowrk, and trust me, they are pretty friendly to their alums.

Idnk

New

Post by Idnk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Yes.

I graduated from SMU law school having moved a bit south from New York. Graduated from SMU in 1982. Listen to the story.

At present time, there are now more Fortune 500 companies with headquarters based in Texas than any other state. When I started there was Texas Instruments and Seven Eleven and Frito-Lay. It used to be a bit thin to say the least. It took a while, but quite frankly a degree from SMU ot U of Texas is worth its weight in gold.

There were these dudes in Texas that hired me as a student. I prepared many a brief. And many a case was overturned. And then I moved to a company. And then that company went bankrupt - but I did not know that. But in the middle of a hearing (when in Austin - not Dallas), I learned I no longer had a job.

And then I learned that no one has a job. You are what you are.

So, a few months later I meet up with a very renowned Texas based company. Worked in Dallas 2 years. I was then transferred to London, England - and I have lived in London, England since 1988.

I have literally travelled all over the world -and going tp SMU has been one of the most eventful, painful (hey it is lawe school afterall) events in my life.

Rick

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Idnk wrote:Yes.

I graduated from SMU law school having moved a bit south from New York. Graduated from SMU in 1982. Listen to the story.

At present time, there are now more Fortune 500 companies with headquarters based in Texas than any other state. When I started there was Texas Instruments and Seven Eleven and Frito-Lay. It used to be a bit thin to say the least. It took a while, but quite frankly a degree from SMU ot U of Texas is worth its weight in gold.

There were these dudes in Texas that hired me as a student. I prepared many a brief. And many a case was overturned. And then I moved to a company. And then that company went bankrupt - but I did not know that. But in the middle of a hearing (when in Austin - not Dallas), I learned I no longer had a job.

And then I learned that no one has a job. You are what you are.

So, a few months later I meet up with a very renowned Texas based company. Worked in Dallas 2 years. I was then transferred to London, England - and I have lived in London, England since 1988.

I have literally travelled all over the world -and going tp SMU has been one of the most eventful, painful (hey it is lawe school afterall) events in my life.

Rick
While your life experiences and career sound great, I don't think any of us should consider the results of people who graduated 20+ years ago. The job market, both legal and nonlegal, is worlds away from that time period.

That said, I think SMU is a good school if the price is right. And TX economy is stronger than most.

Center2450

New

Post by Center2450 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Currently an SMU undergrad, I've met with a few Dallas big law partners and spoken with them about opportunities in Dallas. They've talked to me about hiring and said that they will almost always interview top third or at least 25% at SMU (and UT) and only top 10% from Vandy and other more "national schools". Not necessarily because they think its a better school, but because of hiring reasons- cost of recruiting, yield, etc. One of them was a Vandy grad who said, if you want to stay in Dallas, just go to SMU.
Last edited by Center2450 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ylwbellysloth

New

Post by ylwbellysloth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

If I attended SMU, are the chances of finding work in California virtually non-existent, or how would it rank?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm

If you want to work in California, go to school there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”