Best schools for Indianapolis "Biglaw" Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aaroncox7

New

Best schools for Indianapolis "Biglaw"

Post by aaroncox7 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone had experience/insight on where to shoot for if one wants to work at the main Indianapolis law firms (Ice Miller, Faegre Baker Daniels, etc).

I'm not applying until next cycle but with my stats (3.82, 175) I figure I'll have a pretty good shot at getting good money at both IU schools and admissions at some T14's as well. I really only want to live in Indianapolis - I'm from the area and don't want to be anywhere else long-term. I'm wondering how a generic T14 degree looks to these firms vs. a degree from an IU school. I can see from employment stats at the IU schools that you have to be top of your class to work at one of these firms, but is it really any easier from, say, Duke or Cornell?

FND

Bronze

Re: Best schools for Indianapolis "Biglaw"

Post by FND » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:05 am

aaroncox7 wrote:I was wondering if anyone had experience/insight on where to shoot for if one wants to work at the main Indianapolis law firms (Ice Miller, Faegre Baker Daniels, etc).

I'm not applying until next cycle but with my stats (3.82, 175) I figure I'll have a pretty good shot at getting good money at both IU schools and admissions at some T14's as well. I really only want to live in Indianapolis - I'm from the area and don't want to be anywhere else long-term. I'm wondering how a generic T14 degree looks to these firms vs. a degree from an IU school. I can see from employment stats at the IU schools that you have to be top of your class to work at one of these firms, but is it really any easier from, say, Duke or Cornell?
Do yourself a favor, go to those law firms' websites, and look up the attorneys in the Indianapolis office. Check the bios. Compile a list, and see where everyone went to school. That'll give you a much better answer.

Note: I checked Faegre for you. Not a single attorney in the indianapolis office went to Duke or Cornell. 2 went to Harvard. The vast majority went to schools in Indiana

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 pm

If you have strong ties to Indianapolis (which it seems you do) it should be possible to get big law there from a T14. You might not find a lot of students from them there, but it's most likely due to self-selection (Duke students wanting to work in the south, Cornell students preferring NY, etc)

bajablast

New

Post by bajablast » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 pm

I agree with the general t13 sentiment, but I will say that Midwest t13 schools like UChicago and Northwestern will probably give you more play than say Cornell or Duke.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 pm

The best bet is probably going to a Midwestern T14 like Chicago or Northwestern, especially with your stats where you'll likely get money from them to begin with--although if any T14 ends up being substantially cheaper, it's unlikely to be very harmful if you choose that school over one more geographically friendly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm

I feel like Notre Dame should be pretty high on your wish list?

I don't know anything about Indianapolis specifically but ND places exceptionally well into federal clerkships and Chicago biglaw. Have to imagine it would do as well or better in-state. And your numbers suggest $$$$

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:18 pm

Caveat, I know nothing about Indiana employment.

I suspect, however, that big firms in Indianapolis recruit mostly from the top of the class at local law schools. So they may be very well represented, but all of the associates had very good grades. There are likely a lot of IU grads that don't have good employment prospects.

I also suspect that a T14 with strong ties is a great place to be. A median Chicago or Northwestern grad with ties is almost certainly in a better spot than a median IU grad.

So were I you, I'd take a scholarship at T14 and just work in Indianapolis over the summers, then get back there after graduation.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm

I'd think Northwestern and Chicago would be the best options, especially if you can get money from them (Northwestern should be close to full scholarship with those numbers). After that, I'd think Notre Dame is the best bet.

This is all caveated by the fact that I do not know anything about the Indy market. But, I have a hard time thinking NU/Chicago grads with ties wouldn't be very competitive.

collegemascot433

New

Post by collegemascot433 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 am

From the area, went to an Indiana law school (but later transferred). Participated in the Indy hiring process for 1L summer and briefly for 2L before going to a major market; spoke to a lot of people at these firms who know the region's legal market well. I agree w/ above posters regarding Chicago and NW, and Indy firms largely taking from the top 10% or so at the IU schools + a bit lower at ND. With your stats it would be foolish to consider both IU schools and I would caution against ND due to all three essentially tying you to the region (though ND at least will be marginally better for Chicago, if you want it down the road). However, median or even a bit higher at any school in the state would likely be a preclusive disaster for Indy big law (or anywhere big law). I think another interesting play would be UMich. You would conceivably get solid money there, along with a lowerish COL compared to Chicago. It would also have the benefit of you looking marginally less like a Chicago flight risk to Indy firms (particularly helpful if you gun for a rare 1L SA, as you should in the Indy market from a T14).
Also I believe Vandy and WUSTL with strong ties and decent grades will be no problem to get to Indy.
Feel free to PM me with more in-depth questions. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”