More helpful for bankruptcy - corporate finance or advanced legal research? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

More helpful for bankruptcy - corporate finance or advanced legal research?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Going to be a BK associate and have heard both corporate finance and advanced legal research are helpful classes for this practice area. However my school has both of theses courses offered at conflicting times. Which one is more helpful? As someone without a business background, I imagine corporate finance would have more long term utility.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: More helpful for bankruptcy - corporate finance or advanced legal research?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Personally, between these two choices I'd be more focused on professor reviews, workload, and other quality-of-life factors than on potential career utility. Both sound helpful for different reasons and you're unlikely to regret not taking either since you'll get the real info in practice anyway.

If you, personally, feel like your finance background is a weak spot then dipping your toes might be a nice confidence builder.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Personally, between these two choices I'd be more focused on professor reviews, workload, and other quality-of-life factors than on potential career utility. Both sound helpful for different reasons and you're unlikely to regret not taking either since you'll get the real info in practice anyway.

If you, personally, feel like your finance background is a weak spot then dipping your toes might be a nice confidence builder.
It's worth bearing in mind that a law school corporate finance class might be heavily stacked with folk who have worked in finance or have a B School background. If OP feels this is a strong area for them, then I agree with you and that either class would be good. If, however, they're newer to the area, the curve may be tough making it a better 3L class when OP hopefully has an offer in the bag.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:11 pm

albanach wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:Personally, between these two choices I'd be more focused on professor reviews, workload, and other quality-of-life factors than on potential career utility. Both sound helpful for different reasons and you're unlikely to regret not taking either since you'll get the real info in practice anyway.

It's worth bearing in mind that a law school corporate finance class might be heavily stacked with folk who have worked in finance or have a B School background. If OP feels this is a strong area for them, then I agree with you and that either class would be good. If, however, they're newer to the area, the curve may be tough making it a better 3L class when OP hopefully has an offer in the bag.
it's an easy A range grade for anyone who tries, even if they have no background, because most people don't---they P/NP it and/or don't show up because they're corporate, have a BigLaw job, and grades don't matter

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Advanced legal research is probably more useful. Corporate Finance largely discounting cash flows to present value. You aren't going to do that ever as a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 am

LBJ's Hair wrote: it's an easy A range grade for anyone who tries, even if they have no background, because most people don't---they P/NP it and/or don't show up because they're corporate, have a BigLaw job, and grades don't matter
Each to their own, but that doesn't reflect my experience. Perhaps more so because I had a professor who gave A+ grades, so the class naturally attracted gunners, but nonetheless I didn't feel there was much slacking going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Going to be a BK associate and have heard both corporate finance and advanced legal research are helpful classes for this practice area. However my school has both of theses courses offered at conflicting times. Which one is more helpful? As someone without a business background, I imagine corporate finance would have more long term utility.
I find corp fin knowledge to be very helpful as a bankruptcy attorney, you won’t be using it directly, but you’re always around it. Advanced legal research is more directly relevant and probably helpful, but I question just how necessary it is for day-to-day bankruptcy work—seems like major overkill.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:39 pm

I'd take the Advanced Legal Research, and if you want to learn about corpfin, spend some time doing some units on it on Khan Academy, or buy Tim Copland's Valuation book and workbook, and work through it on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”