LAW SCHOOL STUDENT - Want to do USAF JAG Reserves and work in Business Affairs or a firm (Entertainment Industry) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
coralconsulting77

New

LAW SCHOOL STUDENT - Want to do USAF JAG Reserves and work in Business Affairs or a firm (Entertainment Industry)

Post by coralconsulting77 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Reddit attorneys, can someone please enlighten me a little bit on this subject. I apologies if anything in this post sounds naive, however, information acquisition is the exact purpose of this post. Also, I know it is insanely competitive, the level of competition is not my question, although any suggestion of a comparable unit of the military JAG forces would be welcome.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there in the reddit community who could provide some helpful insight with this. So I am 31, and in an accelerated law program in a major US city in California. I graduate in 2021 at 33, and would like to do JAG reserves while practicing. I know that I will likely have no life, however, it's something that I want to do. I am interested in protecting an institution which I see as valuable and crucial along with it's members, however that may be (divorce, trusts, wills...etc). I do have some concerns about the employment factor, however, I have a decent network in the entertainment industry from major studios and talent agencies, and I know a couple people in the reserves at studios.

My question is, has anyone done this (practice law as in house BA or at a firm) even better if they are in the same industry while simultaneously doing JAG reserves. I figured I would just do the initial training immediately after I took the bar exam since it takes 3 months to get the results anyway, then try to land a job based on my previous network. I also looked into AFROTC or ROTC programs to do while in law school, however, I figure with my accelerated JD schedule that may be tough but I would definitely swing it if I could make it work with the classes. Also, I could try to land an externship or internship during the summer between my first and second year (I would much rather do a JAG term than clerk for a judge) and then do my entertainment externship toward the end of my last year. Frankly my network is robust despite my school being a local non-major institution.

Anyway, any advise from those in the same or a similar position would be really helpful!

nixy

Gold

Re: LAW SCHOOL STUDENT - Want to do USAF JAG Reserves and work in Business Affairs or a firm (Entertainment Industry)

Post by nixy » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm

You're aware you'll have to practice for some years before being able to do USAF JAG reserves, right?

jackdanielsga

New

Re: LAW SCHOOL STUDENT - Want to do USAF JAG Reserves and work in Business Affairs or a firm (Entertainment Industry)

Post by jackdanielsga » Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 am

I guess there aren't too many reddit people here to answer, eh?

Hope you're doing a lot of worthwhile things with the 47 seconds of your life that you saved by not editing out the "reddits" before pasting your post here.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 pm

I know OP asked the question 3 times, but I’m not following what they are asking.

OP: there is a thread for military questions on this forum.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm

If your "accelerated law program in a major US city" is at Pepperdine or a similar school, I suggest you don't rely too heavily on your network. I know that in the entertainment industry, it can seem like competence and pedigree have nothing on connections. But entertainment law is not the same as working in the industry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”