How about quitting a law school if I get a better LSAT score? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
burqin

New

How about quitting a law school if I get a better LSAT score?

Post by burqin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 am

I scored 158 in last Dec. and got admitted to Penn State. If I get 169 in this Sep., how about quitting from Penn State and applying next year to a better school, say, Cornell? What will Cornell think about my quitting? Any harm to the application?

I know I could opt to transfer after 1L at Penn State. But Cornell will not grant me any scholarship, if it admits me. And I'm not sure I can improve my score so I would not take a gap year and lose the opportunity of Penn State. Moreover, for some reason I would not take deferral.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How about quitting a law school if I get a better LSAT score?

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:37 am

I can't imagine why you would even consider doing this. If you are PTing around a 169 and currently have a 158, you should not enroll anywhere until you have that 169 in hand (assuming you actually score where you're PTing). It's a really bad idea to enroll in a law school while still thinking you want to ultimately go somewhere else. Max your LSAT potential, apply with that score, and see where the chips fall. If you have a good option for the right price, dive right in and enjoy. If your options, cost, and goals don't align, seriously reconsider going because it's a huge time and financial investment.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:51 am

Also dont you have to like pay tutition? This is a dumb idea.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:02 am

burqin wrote:...and lose the opportunity of Penn State.
That's not much of a lost opportunity compared to Cornell...

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:00 pm

This is a spectacularly dumb idea. Why didn't you sign up for the June LSAT? That way you would've received a score before the fall semester began and would be able to save yourself over $20,000 in tuition, fees, and housing in the event that your score were to increase substantially. If you were to enroll at Penn State and withdraw as you've contemplated and if Cornell were to ask why, they would probably auto-reject you for such a foolish decision. Please do yourself a favor and withdraw your acceptance immediately and start studying hard for the October LSAT. If you really want to go to law school, this is your only logical choice.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 pm

don't do this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”