Products liability Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coffeesavesme

New

Products liability

Post by Coffeesavesme » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am

I am an 0L and I am studying for Torts. I am not really investing too much time, just an hour or two a day. It seems like Intentional torts and Negligence are challenging, but really interesting. When I got to Products Liability, I noticed it was an explosion of information. I can't keep it straight. My question is, how hard is products liability when studying it in class?

quiver

Silver

Re: Products liability

Post by quiver » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 am

Coffeesavesme wrote:I am an 0L and I am studying for Torts.
Why are you studying substantively as a 0L? Just wait until law school where you'll learn this stuff in the way your professor wants you to.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 am

quiver wrote:
Why are you studying substantively as a 0L? Just wait until law school where you'll learn this stuff in the way your professor wants you to.
Not to mention specific professors may cover topics extensively that others gloss over. No 0L should be studying substantive topics before classes start. Relax and find better uses for that hour or two a day. You'll thank yourself in the fall when you realize all that time you spent studying as a 0L was time utterly wasted (unless you just enjoy reading about legal theory, in which case knock yourself out. But how someone could find products liability intrinsically interesting is beyond me).

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am

UVA2B wrote:
quiver wrote:
Not to mention specific professors may cover topics extensively that others gloss over. No 0L should be studying substantive topics before classes start. Relax and find better uses for that hour or two a day. You'll thank yourself in the fall when you realize all that time you spent studying as a 0L was time utterly wasted (unless you just enjoy reading about legal theory, in which case knock yourself out. But how someone could find products liability intrinsically interesting is beyond me).
I always find it odd that, in the vast majority of classes, your grade will hinge on a final exam at the end of the semester, but yet 0Ls think that a "head start" in the summer will put them at an advantage. Your grade is a snapshot based on a final exam that is taken at a particular time on a particular day after a months-long semester; substantively studying in the summer will not give you any advantage.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 am

Stop.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Stop.
Agreed. OP, you need to put down whatever hornbook you got your hands on and go out and enjoy life. Drink beer, have sex, read literature, be a human. There's plenty of time to learn torts down the road, and being a well-rounded person is more important to your long-term career development than any BLL you think you can learn right now.

Coffeesavesme

New

Post by Coffeesavesme » Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

I agree. I am not memorizing anything. I just want to know what's coming and get a tiny grasp on the material and way of thinking. Like Many, all of my eggs are in one basket. I will be leaving my career and have to pass. I feel now that I am 34 that I might be a slower learner. Getting a head start seems logical. I am not trying to be nor want to be a gunner. I want to learn, do my classes, and get back out into the real world.

This is not what I expected as an answer, but I thank all of you for answering. I am getting to understand that I need to relax.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:46 pm

It's not even about a waste of your time. Studying this early is likely to have a net negative effect on your grade.

You go into class with what you think is the right idea and you won't be as receptive to what your prof has to say. For 1L law school exams you're taking the prof, not the class.

If you're worried about the payoff to your investment in LS and the employment outcomes 3-4 years from now, you'd be much better off putting your time into studying the LSAT than wasting time on learning the black-letter-law. BLL is easy and you shouldn't worry about grasping the legal elements of various claims of action within the span of a semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”