1L ABA Policy for Employment Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
potus

Bronze

1L ABA Policy for Employment

Post by potus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the ABA actually enforces or tracks the 1L ABA policy regarding employment -- "A student may not be employed more than 20
hours per week
in any week in which the student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours."

Interestingly, I'm looking to start a PT program (but it's during the day and only PT for one year) and it's 10 credits per term (perhaps <12 class hours). While the school is saying that they would suggest abiding the ABA policy, I'm pretty open to staying on my job (consultant) which is a max 35 hours/week and would bring in $ for living/personal expenses and loan payments.

Just some additional research and it appears that the ABA dropped the work limit? Is this true? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 6w&cad=rja

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: 1L ABA Policy for Employment

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

potus wrote:Hi all,

I'm wondering if the ABA actually enforces or tracks the 1L ABA policy regarding employment -- "A student may not be employed more than 20
hours per week
in any week in which the student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours."

Interestingly, I'm looking to start a PT program (but it's during the day and only PT for one year) and it's 10 credits per term (perhaps <12 class hours). While the school is saying that they would suggest abiding the ABA policy, I'm pretty open to staying on my job (consultant) which is a max 35 hours/week and would bring in $ for living/personal expenses and loan payments.

Just some additional research and it appears that the ABA dropped the work limit? Is this true? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 6w&cad=rja
If you are going for only 10 hours per semester, then even the old rules would not apply.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”