A Career in International Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma'94

New

A Career in International Law

Post by Emma'94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Hello All,

I'm planning on starting law school this fall and I'm at a standstill with regards to which school I should attend. As a splitter and based on location preferences, these are the top 3 options I'm considering and how much I'd end up paying: UVA (sticker, 230k), GW (180k, but I'm hoping they'll increase my scholarship money), BU (120k, also hoping they'll increase my scholarship).

My ultimate goal is being able to pursue a career in international humanitarian or criminal law, or being able to work at a federal agency as a legal advisor or representative. My logic was that I'd go into big law for a couple of years, in order to pay off student debt, and make that transition later on.

I've done an extensive amount of research on this and am still completely confused as to how I do this. The dilemma I'm running into is reading/realizing that many of the attorneies who occupy these positions have gone to top law schools. At the same time, it seems as though the best way to get your foot in the door with the type of agencies I'd want to work for all involve fellowships, clerkships, honors programs for state departments, etc, right out of law school, where a high salary is not part of the equation. My confusion, then, is how I'm expected to pay off student loans. So, two questions: 1) If my ultimate, idealist, dream-big goal is to work somewhere like the UN, USAID, the IMF, is UVA the only option here?, 2) What pathways can I take that would allow me to pay off the debt? How do I make that transition from big law to international public interest law?

Thank you for any responses in advance :) I'd also appreciate any reading material that would help me answer this!

Emma'94

New

A Career in International Law

Post by Emma'94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Hello All,

I'm planning on starting law school this fall and I'm at a standstill with regards to which school I should attend. As a splitter and based on location preferences, these are the top 3 options I'm considering and how much I'd end up paying: UVA (sticker, 230k), GW (180k, but I'm hoping they'll increase my scholarship money), BU (120k, also hoping they'll increase my scholarship).

My ultimate goal is being able to pursue a career in international humanitarian or criminal law, or being able to work at a federal agency as a legal advisor or representative. My logic was that I'd go into big law for a couple of years, in order to pay off student debt, and make that transition later on.

I've done an extensive amount of research on this and am still completely confused as to how I do this. The dilemma I'm running into is reading/realizing that many of the attorneies who occupy these positions have gone to top law schools. At the same time, it seems as though the best way to get your foot in the door with the type of agencies I'd want to work for all involve fellowships, clerkships, honors programs for state departments, etc, right out of law school, where a high salary is not part of the equation. My confusion, then, is how I'm expected to pay off student loans. So, two questions: 1) If my ultimate, idealist, dream-big goal is to work somewhere like the UN, USAID, the IMF, is UVA the only option here?, 2) What pathways can I take that would allow me to pay off the debt? How do I make that transition from big law to international public interest law?

Thank you for any responses in advance :) I'd also appreciate any reading material that would help me answer this!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: A Career in International Law

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:26 pm

You'd be relying on stuff like LRAP and PSLF and/or IBR/PAYE/REPAYE

GW and BU don't make much sense with such lofty goals so I would cross them off the list

I think you're seriously underestimating your final debt at repayment. UVA at sticker is probably a lot closer to 300K.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:You'd be relying on stuff like LRAP and PSLF and/or IBR/PAYE/REPAYE

GW and BU don't make much sense with such lofty goals so I would cross them off the list

I think you're seriously underestimating your final debt at repayment. UVA at sticker is probably a lot closer to 300K.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/uva/costs/2014/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 pm

a career in int law is highly unlikely.. if I had to guess like 1 in 20,000

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 pm

This is the third person who thinks they will go to biglaw for a few years save money and then transition into public interest at a high level, presumably using a schools LRAP to repay debt or at least IBR.

It is difficult to do this transition. I don't understand where this plan originates. Someone in the Harvard thread said it was from Reddit.

I did know someone from my firm who went for a temporary thing to Washington with the World Bank because of specific knowledge relating to certain types of project finance ( pre-ITE.) But it was only temporary and I Think he had trouble getting biglaw again. Not sure exactly but he isn't doing either biglaw or public interest law now.

lawadmin

New

Post by lawadmin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Emma'94 wrote:Hello All,

Without outing myself, I work/worked with students with similar ambitions. International criminal law is pretty unicorn-y, especially given that the ICTY/ICTR have transitioned to the MICT, the Hague is run on interns with a smattering of permanent lawyers and the overall competitiveness of these positions. International humanitarian law is similarly difficult, though between NATO and Geneva, you may have (slightly) more opportunities. Overall, the best advice I would give is to have a backup plan that you would be happy with, assuming you don't get the position you wanted.

You have two options for this career path. The first is the "international lifer" path, where you work at the organizations during summers and complete an externship during your 2L spring or 3L fall. You should be prepared to take 1-3 positions as a volunteer after graduation to get your foot in the door. You'll likely get your first contract in a remote location (e.g., small regional office of the ICC or a similar position) where you will be able to prove yourself and with good work and a little luck, transition into a permanent role in the Hague. Or you can get extremely lucky and someone goes on maternity leave and you get your first contract. The important point for the "international lifer" path is that you get your foot in the door immediately, and allow luck, networking and competence (in roughly that order) lead you to your permanent position. Jobs at the UN and international organizations are extremely cushy, and if this is what you're going to law school to do, offers the easier to visualize opportunity.

The second is the "transition" path, where you focus on an area of domestic law and then transition into an international role. Working in a district attorney's office, attorney general's office or the U.S. attorney's office is a great path for this, but it is by no means certain. The ad hocs (in their prime) needed a lot of lawyers with serious litigation experience. This is a much more difficult path, and requires even more luck, keeping your pulse on international options and maintaining a good network in Europe. I would recommend doing a semester-long externship for this path as well, so that you can cultivate relationships and start building a network.

Even internships are hard to get. The quality of the applicant pool is outstanding, and the UN and other IOs try to balance languages, diversity, etc. One UN office in Vienna told me that for their four spots each semester, they want one English speaker, one French speaker, and then two interns with either Russian/Chinese/Spanish/another language they have work in. Students write the most tailored personal statements for these positions, and the organizations do not need to bother with anyone who doesn't check off all their boxes. This is the double-edged sword that if you're so specialized for one organization or practice, you hurt yourself for other offices if you do not get the position. Almost everyone has a CV that screams international law, and are among the most impressive student resumes I have seen.

Having said ALL that, I really do not want to discourage you from your goals, and in fact, think that with a lot of advance planning, you can actually put yourself on the right track. But note that it requires extreme dedication, sacrifices that your classmates may not need to make and a lot of luck. You can do everything right and miss an opportunity. So my suggestions:
1. Speak with the international law professors at the schools you are interested in and discuss standard international law tracks at the schools. Ask them for information about recent graduates who transitioned to public international law. Speak to them about their experiences before becoming law professors to assess their books of business, as they will be the ones who get you your foot in the door at these organizations.
2. Speak with the alumni offices at the schools you are interested in and ask for alumni working at the UN and other IOs. Ask if the alumni offices can put you in touch. Schedule a Skype calls/phone calls/meetings before you start 1L and get them thinking about you for your 1L summer.
3. Speak with the career development offices at the schools you are interested in and ask if they have a counselor/counselors with a specialization in public international law positions. Ask what opportunities students have to extern at UN offices in Europe and receive full academic credit and other related questions.

The UN Young Professionals Programme is the entry-level process for getting a job at the UN. I would also ask if any recent graduates have had success with that application process.

Best of luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

Tl;dr you face an uphill battle, but it's not nearly as difficult to get your foot in the door as many on the boards say. The difficult part is getting a permanent position, which usually requires at least some post-grad fellowship/internship or a lot of luck.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 am

I'm essentially asking to be flamed here by a bunch of Very Serious Persons for saying this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that despite the hefty price tag and disappointing slide in overall rankings recently, AU is ranked 5 and 2 in international law and clinical programs, respectively. GW comes in 8 and not in the top 10, respectively, and UVA doesn't appear.

You have to do what is right for you, both location and money-wise. If Biglaw is a must, I get that, too. I can say from experience, however, that international opportunities, particularly at the very agencies and organizations you mentioned, abound and AU has folks in key places throughout those institutions. Best of luck in your pursuits and I hope you exceed your goals!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 am

Catsinthebag wrote:I'm essentially asking to be flamed here by a bunch of Very Serious Persons for saying this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that despite the hefty price tag and disappointing slide in overall rankings recently, AU is ranked 5 and 2 in international law and clinical programs, respectively. GW comes in 8 and not in the top 10, respectively, and UVA doesn't appear.

You have to do what is right for you, both location and money-wise. If Biglaw is a must, I get that, too. I can say from experience, however, that international opportunities, particularly at the very agencies and organizations you mentioned, abound and AU has folks in key places throughout those institutions. Best of luck in your pursuits and I hope you exceed your goals!
AU? As in American? That school should be shut down, not attended by someone who wants to get a job.

You most certainly would not be remiss for not telling someone they should consider one of the very worst law schools in existence. And for reasons that don't matter, no less.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:56 am

Yeah, predictable response and right on time. Of course, you're also wrong, but that's likewise predictable.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:02 am

Catsinthebag wrote:Yeah, predictable response and right on time. Of course, you're also wrong, but that's likewise predictable.
Don't troll the on topics. American is a horrible law school and telling people that they should consider attending it is not funny.

Or troll the on topics if you want I guess but you need to make it more interesting/amusing than "You know what dude, let me tell you all about how good of a school American is!"

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:03 am

Nice try - go to bed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BernieTrump

Bronze

Post by BernieTrump » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:35 am

Last edited by BernieTrump on Thu May 11, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:55 am

Specialized rankings don't matter. They're not rankings of what a school has to offer students in those specialties - they're rankings by academics of academics and their work, and a given academic's placement of articles into esteemed law reviews almost never has anything to do with getting students employed in a given field.

AU does have a disproportionately high percentage of graduates go into government/public interest, as compared to firms (especially biglaw), with 21% in government and 13% in public interest (however, we don't know what kinds of jobs those are). That said, they still have an employment score of 54.6%. Their public interest score is 33.7%, but 10.4% of that is made up by school-funded jobs. And something to keep in mind is that about the same percentage of the class was unemployed as working in government. It's an incredibly expensive school. And I think from what I've seen here it's one of the only schools that demands you pay back your 1L scholarship money if you transfer.

If AU works for you, that's great. But that doesn't mean it makes sense for someone who wants to do international stuff/government to go to AU over UVA, especially when the OP never mentioned any interest in AU.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:24 am

Transitioning from biglaw to gov't (legal advisor) is not the same as transitioning to public interest (ACLU). The former is not just viable its classic. The latter is nearly impossible.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 am

lawadmin wrote:
Emma'94 wrote:Hello All,

Without outing myself, I work/worked with students with similar ambitions. International criminal law is pretty unicorn-y, especially given that the ICTY/ICTR have transitioned to the MICT, the Hague is run on interns with a smattering of permanent lawyers and the overall competitiveness of these positions. International humanitarian law is similarly difficult, though between NATO and Geneva, you may have (slightly) more opportunities. Overall, the best advice I would give is to have a backup plan that you would be happy with, assuming you don't get the position you wanted.

You have two options for this career path. The first is the "international lifer" path, where you work at the organizations during summers and complete an externship during your 2L spring or 3L fall. You should be prepared to take 1-3 positions as a volunteer after graduation to get your foot in the door. You'll likely get your first contract in a remote location (e.g., small regional office of the ICC or a similar position) where you will be able to prove yourself and with good work and a little luck, transition into a permanent role in the Hague. Or you can get extremely lucky and someone goes on maternity leave and you get your first contract. The important point for the "international lifer" path is that you get your foot in the door immediately, and allow luck, networking and competence (in roughly that order) lead you to your permanent position. Jobs at the UN and international organizations are extremely cushy, and if this is what you're going to law school to do, offers the easier to visualize opportunity.

The second is the "transition" path, where you focus on an area of domestic law and then transition into an international role. Working in a district attorney's office, attorney general's office or the U.S. attorney's office is a great path for this, but it is by no means certain. The ad hocs (in their prime) needed a lot of lawyers with serious litigation experience. This is a much more difficult path, and requires even more luck, keeping your pulse on international options and maintaining a good network in Europe. I would recommend doing a semester-long externship for this path as well, so that you can cultivate relationships and start building a network.

Even internships are hard to get. The quality of the applicant pool is outstanding, and the UN and other IOs try to balance languages, diversity, etc. One UN office in Vienna told me that for their four spots each semester, they want one English speaker, one French speaker, and then two interns with either Russian/Chinese/Spanish/another language they have work in. Students write the most tailored personal statements for these positions, and the organizations do not need to bother with anyone who doesn't check off all their boxes. This is the double-edged sword that if you're so specialized for one organization or practice, you hurt yourself for other offices if you do not get the position. Almost everyone has a CV that screams international law, and are among the most impressive student resumes I have seen.

Having said ALL that, I really do not want to discourage you from your goals, and in fact, think that with a lot of advance planning, you can actually put yourself on the right track. But note that it requires extreme dedication, sacrifices that your classmates may not need to make and a lot of luck. You can do everything right and miss an opportunity. So my suggestions:
1. Speak with the international law professors at the schools you are interested in and discuss standard international law tracks at the schools. Ask them for information about recent graduates who transitioned to public international law. Speak to them about their experiences before becoming law professors to assess their books of business, as they will be the ones who get you your foot in the door at these organizations.
2. Speak with the alumni offices at the schools you are interested in and ask for alumni working at the UN and other IOs. Ask if the alumni offices can put you in touch. Schedule a Skype calls/phone calls/meetings before you start 1L and get them thinking about you for your 1L summer.
3. Speak with the career development offices at the schools you are interested in and ask if they have a counselor/counselors with a specialization in public international law positions. Ask what opportunities students have to extern at UN offices in Europe and receive full academic credit and other related questions.

The UN Young Professionals Programme is the entry-level process for getting a job at the UN. I would also ask if any recent graduates have had success with that application process.

Best of luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

Tl;dr you face an uphill battle, but it's not nearly as difficult to get your foot in the door as many on the boards say. The difficult part is getting a permanent position, which usually requires at least some post-grad fellowship/internship or a lot of luck.
As you said, OP needs a realistic back up plan. OP is going to owe $300,000 at graduation. The idea she can take a number of unpaid volunteer positions and fight for the only English speaking spot out of 4 total doesn't seem financially viable or at least a reasonable risk to take.

My point to OP is that going to big law and then tranistioning to one of these jobs is virtually impossible.

This is good and thorough advice for OP. I think it shows that getting these positions are extremely difficult right in accordance with the TLS perspective. That is if you consider a "permanent position" that actually pays a salary as a job instead of unpaid internships or fellowships.

OP: I'm not sure any of the schools in your posts are worth attending at that price. How much of a splitter are you? Do you have a second career path in mind that might get you into a humanitarian job?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 am

Oy, OP.

You definitely have undershot sticker at UVA. You're actually looking at a fully financed cost of $300k, not $230k at UVA. Let me be clear, I LOVE UVA and think it's a fine choice for many, but it is simply too expensive at sticker. With even a modest $60k scholarship, it would make sense.

I don't think BU makes a lot of sense. I could see GW making sense, but you'll need much more off the price.

So, naturally we end up back at the retake jamboree. As a splitter, you might as well push your split even further apart and get your LSAT even higher. Maybe then you'll be able to get some discount at UVA.

If you're just not going to do it without retaking, I'd run as many analyses as possible and really think about the implications of the decision on your financial/career freedom, and if you think you can live with it, take UVA. That is a TON of scratch though.

Emma'94

New

Post by Emma'94 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I just wanted to clarify that I completely understand that this is a lofty career goal. I know that the chances of succeeding, and life working out the way I'm hoping it will, are slim. That being said, I'm looking to gather all the information/opinions that I can. So yes, I'm being extraordinarily idealistic. But I haven't taken out my student debt just yet, haha.

Background information to address some questions: I'm graduating from a well-ranked public university in May with a double major in political science and Arabic. My Arabic level is considered proficient, but not fluent. I'm pretty confident that a legal degree is the only way to get where I want to go. My stats are a 3.99 gpa and 162 lsat. Obviously, I know, I know, I know, all the opinions will point to a retake. I did score a 160 my first time. My fear is sitting out this cycle, retaking the LSAT, and either a) receiving the same score, or only increasing my score by a couple of points, b) Not being given the option of UVA another cycle, or receiving less scholarship money from other schools after I've declined their offers. I'm also looking for more advice than just the general "retake."

Given all the opinions on this thread, my follow up question would be choosing between GW and BU. If I choose to take the path of an honors program for a federal agency (I'm assuming GW is the better choice), could GW get me there? How competitive are these programs?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Depending on the agency, you can get into them from GW, but they're extremely competitive just from a numbers standpoint - thousands of people apply and most agencies/individual components hire maybe 12 people at the most. They're worth aiming for but they're not something you can count on.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Proficient in Arabic is not going to cut it. You should not go to law school this year. If you REALLY want to go into this field, postpone law school. Go work abroad for a couple years, preferably somewhere really difficult to show you can handle it. Get fluent in Arabic or some other language. Then apply again.

Why do you want to do this work? What do you think it really involves?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Emma'94 wrote:Background information to address some questions: I'm graduating from a well-ranked public university in May with a double major in political science and Arabic. My Arabic level is considered proficient, but not fluent. I'm pretty confident that a legal degree is the only way to get where I want to go. My stats are a 3.99 gpa and 162 lsat. Obviously, I know, I know, I know, all the opinions will point to a retake. I did score a 160 my first time. My fear is sitting out this cycle, retaking the LSAT, and either a) receiving the same score, or only increasing my score by a couple of points, b) Not being given the option of UVA another cycle, or receiving less scholarship money from other schools after I've declined their offers. I'm also looking for more advice than just the general "retake."
Retake. Seriously. "Retake" as a general response is very frustrating advice, but it really is on point to your specific situation.

170 = H (or $$$$ elsewhere) = very different range of outcomes

And as other posters have hinted, if the LSAT ends up not going better, your odds of "international" work are a lot better through taking a non-legal path than through your current options. Sorry, 'dems the breaks.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Why would you get lower scholarships if you have better numbers?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:46 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Proficient in Arabic is not going to cut it. You should not go to law school this year. If you REALLY want to go into this field, postpone law school. Go work abroad for a couple years, preferably somewhere really difficult to show you can handle it. Get fluent in Arabic or some other language. Then apply again.

Why do you want to do this work? What do you think it really involves?
This is great advice, OP. Why are you in such a flaming hurry to go straight from undergrad to law school?

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 pm

I love International Law :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”