GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
elmar

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by elmar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:They will encourage crippling levels of caution in your bidding strategy and what markets you target and it's weird because the right answer is to go for as much as you can and cover your bases, not to artificially limit yourself to safeties and secondary markets.
Just to add a different data point, this wasn't true for me. Career services advised me to be more aggressive, not less (and even encouraged me to be more aggressive than collective TLS wisdom would advise). I followed their advice, and it was beneficial. My career services person may be one of the more chill ones, but I think OCS advice can vary a bit based on your individual career counselor. I haven't asked OCS for much at all, but they've been pretty helpful/ had decent advice when I did.
Just one more data point, but I had the same experience being advised to be more, not less aggressive in my bidding. I was even told to apply to places that I didn't just think were a stretch, but that I assumed were essentially a foregone rejection. I guess that just underlines how "aggressive" is a pretty subjective thing to be comparing. I suppose I've had better experiences when I ask specific questions, but when I have general concerns I don't really feel like I get a helpful or complete picture. So "given my profile, is firm X in market Y a problematic place for me to consider?" gets a good and informed response, but "I think I'm interested in practice area A, what should be I thinking about?" gets you vague advice. I had originally hoped they would be experts who knew everything about the industry and I could skip having to do time-consuming online research, but obviously that was not in the cards.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm

I have never set foot in the OCS office; would recommend

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 am

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:26 am

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Are the oral arguments for LRW no big deal or are they legit? Doesn't seem like it will be that bad with 2Ls and 3Ls acting as the judges
Unless you will be judged by gray, usn26, and hand, you'll be fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 am

Was accepted to GULC awhile ago, put it on the back burner because I'm not sure about $$$ + was hoping for some TOP schools (lol @ myself, GPA is not up to par, even as URM) so am adding GULC to the strongly consider list and have a few questions (some which I'm sure have been asked before, honestly, but still):

1. I know the class size is broken down into sections making it more manageable, but from a standpoint of socializing, how does the larger class size seem to impact ability to meet friends and everything like that?
2. Going off of the socializing topic: Do a lot of GULC students tend to go out and everything (when they're not crazy busy, of course)?
3. I read *most* of these pages and saw people talking about aggressively negotiating scholly $$: Could you use an acceptance with no money from a higher-ranked school to negotiate? (Kind of along the lines of, if I'm going to pay xxx, I might as well go to __ for sticker -- obviously not stated that way but still lol)
4. Did anyone choose GULC with more debt over a T20 school with less debt and regret it?
5. What/where would be the closest someone could be to GULC WITHOUT being in DC (so in VA or MD)? (Weird question, I know, but answer me anyway please! Lol)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 am

usn26 wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:Im not very into getting mugged and stabbed so thanks for the info. Is there a specific area that gulc students like to live in DC? Or are people who don't live on campus kind of dispersed? Do most students live on campus in general? Sorry for all the questions I've never been to DC and if there is a place where students tend to live in i'd like to check it out when I visit.

Also you mentioned the metro, does everyone use it like New York?
Just to be clear, it's not like GULC is in the worst part of town. But there are definitely nicer areas, and you simply can't avoid all "danger." It's a big city.

Relatively few people live on campus - Gewirz is a decent sized grouping but definitely in the minority. People live all over, including in VA and MD. This list probably has most of the most common/popular ones, but I'm sure there are others.

As for the metro, I don't really know how to anwer that. It's a decent subway, and a lot of people use it to commute if it makes sense for them. It's usually pretty busy but rarely insanely so in my experience.
Not a current student but am pretty familiar with both DC and NYC. I'd say the metro is popular, but in no way as popular as the NYC subway system. Part of that probably due to the cost (not that the metro is insanely expensive, just that the NYC subway is cheaper). It's also expanding A LOT into Virginia (and maybe Maryland, idk?) so that could lead to more people riding. I'd say that NYC subway is more likely to be packed during "off" hours than the metro system. Depending on where you're headed/which line, metro system will most likely be pretty packed during prime commuting hours. Also, this isn't necessarily related to your question but I'm not sure if they're still doing that SafeTrack or SafeRide or SafeWhatever thing, but if they are, IT. IS. SUCH. A. PAIN. Lol.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 am

brinicolec wrote:5. What/where would be the closest someone could be to GULC WITHOUT being in DC (so in VA or MD)? (Weird question, I know, but answer me anyway please! Lol)
do you mean what is the closest border geographically? you've heard about google maps, right? I'm not gonna measure this for you, but I'd guess it's arlington

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:02 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:55 am

Red Line is easiest for metro bc Judiciary and Union stations are the two that get you closest to GULC. On the red line, Silver Spring is probably a 15 minute metro ride. Silver Spring and Takoma Park (one stop closer) have more affordable living options but are not very exciting places (no real bars or night scene). Other direction on red line, Tenleytown is probably 15 minutes from GULC but Tenleytown, Chevy Chase, and Van Ness next door are not cheap (better than downtown probably though).

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 pm

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Hand wrote:
brinicolec wrote:5. What/where would be the closest someone could be to GULC WITHOUT being in DC (so in VA or MD)? (Weird question, I know, but answer me anyway please! Lol)
do you mean what is the closest border geographically? you've heard about google maps, right? I'm not gonna measure this for you, but I'd guess it's arlington
I mean commute-wise, not distance-wise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Gray wrote:The Pentagon City/Crystal City area across the river in VA on the yellow line is doable too. I know a few people who have done that.
I have no idea why I never noticed Pentagon City/Crystal City is partly in VA :shock:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
Hand wrote:
To be fair, even the estimated transit time given on Google Maps isn't a replacement for first-hand knowledge of folks actually living in the DC area. What looks like a reasonable commute on Google Maps may not be, in practice. Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Silver Spring are on my list as possible non-DC-but-still-commutable locations, but again I'm an 0L, so I don't know if those are all realistic. And obviously it depends on what your means of transportation is, what, if any, Metro line(s) you want to be near, and how far away from DC and DC prices you're looking to be, I guess.
Thanks! I'm probably more inclined to pick VA over MD; I'm not really sure why.... lol

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 pm

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Gray wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Gray wrote:The Pentagon City/Crystal City area across the river in VA on the yellow line is doable too. I know a few people who have done that.
I have no idea why I never noticed Pentagon City/Crystal City is partly in VA :shock:
Pretty sure they are 100% in VA but are still considered the DC Metro area.
You're so right. I think they're technically in Arlington...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm

brinicolec wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
Hand wrote:
To be fair, even the estimated transit time given on Google Maps isn't a replacement for first-hand knowledge of folks actually living in the DC area. What looks like a reasonable commute on Google Maps may not be, in practice. Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Silver Spring are on my list as possible non-DC-but-still-commutable locations, but again I'm an 0L, so I don't know if those are all realistic. And obviously it depends on what your means of transportation is, what, if any, Metro line(s) you want to be near, and how far away from DC and DC prices you're looking to be, I guess.
Thanks! I'm probably more inclined to pick VA over MD; I'm not really sure why.... lol
VA has a lot more recent development and more going on in terms of bars, nightlife, culture, etc. It's up and coming.

Maryland around DC are old money places like Potomac and Takoma Park, semi-urban pockets like Rockville, Silver Spring, etc. and the rest is a vast decaying hellhole (such as all of PG county and the desolate shitpile that is everything southeast of DC)

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Why not just join me in Hill East, the undisputed greatest neighborhood in the district

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:07 pm

brinicolec wrote: 5. What/where would be the closest someone could be to GULC WITHOUT being in DC (so in VA or MD)? (Weird question, I know, but answer me anyway please! Lol)
People also do Baltimore, which isn't terrrrrrrible if you live near a MARC stop (I wish I went back to Bmore for 2L/3L, not so much 1L).

Based on your socializing concerns, I'd probably live in the District 1L and go from there 2L/3L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Are the oral arguments for LRW no big deal or are they legit? Doesn't seem like it will be that bad with 2Ls and 3Ls acting as the judges
I was terribly hungover when I was a judge. I can think of a few people who would be dicks as judges, but for the most part no one actually cares and are just throwing out basic questions.

Oh and they have absolutely no bearing on your grade. I completely bombed mine (got specifically called out for being unprepared) and still did well in LRW.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:35 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:Oh and they have absolutely no bearing on your grade. I completely bombed mine (got specifically called out for being unprepared) and still did well in LRW.
This is really the key point.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Gray wrote:
Gray wrote:Has anyone taken that 1 CR scholarly editing course? Is it an As for everyone situation?
BUMP one of you fucks must have been a journal nerd.
No it really is just you here

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”