GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MrSam

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:48 am

Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 am

MrSam wrote:Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.
Yeah, you can use the main campus facilities with your ID.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

However, it'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there

pardon me I mean the law center

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 am

Hand wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Also, if my experience is representative, you will get sick literally every single time you step foot in the undergrad library.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:30 am

Hand wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote: It'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there
Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)
Is the GUTS bus that bad?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am

usn26 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
I've never taken it but I assume that it does not go nearly as often as one would like, plus I assume it's slow as shit given the horrendous traffic you'll sit in while crossing downtown

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am

Hand wrote:
usn26 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
I've never taken it but I assume that it does not go nearly as often as one would like, plus I assume it's slow as shit given the horrendous traffic you'll sit in while crossing downtown
ITT: GULC students answer questions that no one asked

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:28 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Gray wrote:Circulator goes basically straight from Georgetown to the law school. It's not fast but it's frequent, cheap and direct enough that you could rely on it.
Yea, I've taken the circulator a bunch from Georgetown back to campus, and it isn't terrible. I'd bet it's on par with taking the metro.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I'm used to Los Angeles traffic, I can't imagine it being much worse than that.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:36 pm

MrSam wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
Traffic is obviously bad, but I think the bigger issue is parking. I haven't lived in Georgetown, but I'm willing to bet parking is pretty brutal as it's all street parking for the most part.

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:47 pm

One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 pm

trramic wrote:One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.
none it the outline bank sorry pal

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
trramic wrote:One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.
none it the outline bank sorry pal
Damn - thanks for checking

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Anyone take banking regulation or consumer finance and have outlines?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

MrSam wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I live over there and drive to school. The drive isn't bad at all. 15-20 mins during non-rush hour / 25-40 mins during rush hour. Street parking over there will be annoying and time consuming tho.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm

de minimis wrote:
I live over there and drive to school. The drive isn't bad at all. 15-20 mins during non-rush hour / 25-40 mins during rush hour. Street parking over there will be annoying and time consuming tho.
Just remember that rush hour is 6-11, 11:30-1:30, and 2:30-7:30.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Question: if I am interested in trying to clerk/intern for a judge, non-profit, or something on Capitol Hill (e.g., House/Senate Judiciary Committee) in the Fall, should I be getting on those applications ASAP?

Asking because it's Spring Break and this is probably my last period of semi-free time until June. I'm not sure if it'll be too late to apply at that point (I've noticed that Fall applications have closed already for certain Senate members).

Also, when will 1Ls have some idea of what our 2L Fall schedule is going to look like (lots of apps ask about "availability"... not sure how I can answer that question at this point)? And is it feasible to juggle a journal, classes, and an internship in Fall of 2L semester?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cth77

New

Post by cth77 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 pm

cth77 wrote:Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.
from what I can tell it's indeed a huge time commitment

you're effectively being a TA but paying for the privilege instead of getting paid, and I have no idea why anyone would be impressed with that, although it does give you something tangible you can point to when you're touting your superior writing skills

I didn't do it and those who did seem to mostly regret their decision

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

cth77 wrote:Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.
Anecdotally, I've heard it will make your legal writing much better. If you want to clerk, judges may appreciate it. If you're going into lit, certain employers may value it. That said, I have also heard that its a ton of work and who knows if the bump is worth it.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm

my impression is that it makes your writing requirement relatively easier. for people like me it would have been nice to have a defined topic and body of law applicable to that topic. other than that generally seems not worth the time tho

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”