UNC Law student(s) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Judphud

New

Re: UNC Law student(s) taking questions

Post by Judphud » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:03 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Judphud wrote:Can any of the current UNC students comment on motorcycle policy at the law school? I know parking spots are highly limited and essentially off limits to 1Ls. Are there areas where people can park their motorcycles that are not...well...how to say this, real parking spots? I am moving to Durham and will have to commute. At my current job, there's zero parking availability so I get to park my motorcycle on the front patio next to the bicycles. Just wondering whether I can circumvent the 45-60 minute bus ride each way.
I just paid my seat deposit, so it's a done-deal for me.
If the bus ride is that long, you might be able to get a hardship parking pass. You might want to call the school--maybe student services (only because I can't think of who would know specifically about this). Their contact info is here http://www.law.unc.edu/studentlife/stud ... fault.aspx
Thanks for the info...think I might call student services. I planned on applying for the hardship pass, but I didn't want to put all my eggs in that basket as they may just say no for some unknown reason. So should I assume that when you show up to the law school every day, you don't see any collection of motorcycles on the front patio, next to the bicycle ramps, or some other slightly less than legit parking area?

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Judphud wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Judphud wrote:Can any of the current UNC students comment on motorcycle policy at the law school? I know parking spots are highly limited and essentially off limits to 1Ls. Are there areas where people can park their motorcycles that are not...well...how to say this, real parking spots? I am moving to Durham and will have to commute. At my current job, there's zero parking availability so I get to park my motorcycle on the front patio next to the bicycles. Just wondering whether I can circumvent the 45-60 minute bus ride each way.
If the bus ride is that long, you might be able to get a hardship parking pass. You might want to call the school--maybe student services (only because I can't think of who would know specifically about this). Their contact info is here http://www.law.unc.edu/studentlife/stud ... fault.aspx
Thanks for the info...think I might call student services. I planned on applying for the hardship pass, but I didn't want to put all my eggs in that basket as they may just say no for some unknown reason. So should I assume that when you show up to the law school every day, you don't see any collection of motorcycles on the front patio, next to the bicycle ramps, or some other slightly less than legit parking area?
The closest thing I've noticed to a motorcycle is a few mopeds next to the bike rack. Then again, I take the bus, and I'm not the most observant person ever..

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:45 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
Judphud wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
The closest thing I've noticed to a motorcycle is a few mopeds next to the bike rack. Then again, I take the bus, and I'm not the most observant person ever..
There are individual motorcycle parking spots in front of the building, along Ridge Rd. They are about 1/3 the size of a normal parking spot, there are like 6 (maybe more) of them, and they are located directly across from the bus stop on Ridge Rd. There is a 1L who rides her motorcycle to class and has a parking pass. I am not sure if this is considered a "hardship" pass, or if she just has a regular pass. I would talk to someone at the school about a pass or your situation. Also, I have never seen a motorcycle parked next to the bike rack, it would be pretty awkward. I would say as a motorcycle rider you'd be more likely to get a spot since I never see those spots full. Plus, no one has brought this up, but if you have to drive to class, there are two pay lots right near the school. They are the 54 lot, and the parking deck. Both charge $1.50/hour, which is not cheap, but it is an option, albeit not a cheap, everyday option.

Judphud

New

Post by Judphud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks to both of you for the information. This is really helpful since I live out of state and can't really go see the grounds for myself. I will call and ask about a motorcycle pass and perhaps a hardship pass for the winter months. Otherwise, hopefully my motorcycle will blend in the the mopeds near the bike rack :wink:

greenh

New

Post by greenh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm looking for an apartment in the Chapel Hill or Carrboro area for me and my husband. I've heard good things about Berkshire (West) Manor and Laurel Ridge apartment complexes.

Does anyone know anything about either of these apartments? Also, in your experience, do good apartments tend to fill up and/or the prices to soar by the very end of May?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 pm

greenh wrote:I'm looking for an apartment in the Chapel Hill or Carrboro area for me and my husband. I've heard good things about Berkshire (West) Manor and Laurel Ridge apartment complexes.

Does anyone know anything about either of these apartments? Also, in your experience, do good apartments tend to fill up and/or the prices to soar by the very end of May?

Thanks.
I don't know about either of those, sorry. :/ One of my big priorities is convenience, so I would say that wherever you're looking, make sure there's a bus that goes directly to South Rd or Ridge Rd. I know several people who live in Chapel Hill and still have to commute 40-60 minutes between school and their apartments just because they have to walk a long way to a bus stop and/or change buses.

derdolmetscher

New

Post by derdolmetscher » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:35 am

Could you provide some insight on cell phone performance in the UNC law building and on UNC campus in general? Based on your experiences and what you know from others, do you get better service with Verizon, AT&T etc?

Currently, I work at a major airport. Tens of thousands of people in a small area is bad. What does everyone do at the airport? They talk on the phone, use their iPhones to surf the web, and use their iPads. We have free wifi, but it's like it doesn't even help. Consequently, trying to use my iPhone to surf the web or even to talk can become almost unbearable at peak times of the day. Is this a problem on UNC campus? Lastly, Is the UNC wifi speed and signal adequate?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:52 am

derdolmetscher wrote:Could you provide some insight on cell phone performance in the UNC law building and on UNC campus in general? Based on your experiences and what you know from others, do you get better service with Verizon, AT&T etc?

Currently, I work at a major airport. Tens of thousands of people in a small area is bad. What does everyone do at the airport? They talk on the phone, use their iPhones to surf the web, and use their iPads. We have free wifi, but it's like it doesn't even help. Consequently, trying to use my iPhone to surf the web or even to talk can become almost unbearable at peak times of the day. Is this a problem on UNC campus? Lastly, Is the UNC wifi speed and signal adequate?

I have AT&T. I've never had any problem with my iPhone on campus or anyplace in Chapel Hill. My husband has Verizon and gets good service in Chapel Hill, but better service than I get with AT&T in surrounding areas (Raleigh/Durham). The WiFi on campus is great. It's almost always up (I can only think of twice it went down and it was for a period of 5-10 minutes on those occasions). WiFi is even functional in the sub-basement -- not sure how they manage that, but it works everywhere in and around the LS building. I don't consider cell service or WiFi access to be a problem at all. Not even anything worth thinking about, really.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:41 pm

skw wrote:
derdolmetscher wrote:Could you provide some insight on cell phone performance in the UNC law building and on UNC campus in general? Based on your experiences and what you know from others, do you get better service with Verizon, AT&T etc?

I have AT&T. I've never had any problem with my iPhone on campus or anyplace in Chapel Hill. My husband has Verizon and gets good service in Chapel Hill, but better service than I get with AT&T in surrounding areas (Raleigh/Durham). The WiFi on campus is great. It's almost always up (I can only think of twice it went down and it was for a period of 5-10 minutes on those occasions). WiFi is even functional in the sub-basement -- not sure how they manage that, but it works everywhere in and around the LS building. I don't consider cell service or WiFi access to be a problem at all. Not even anything worth thinking about, really.
I have Verizon and I can attest to the same as skw. I have also heard from others that Verizon gets better service when you are out in the surrounding areas. Both get excellent service in town, and wi-fi in the law school and on-campus is just fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:10 am

Judphud wrote:Thanks to both of you for the information. This is really helpful since I live out of state and can't really go see the grounds for myself. I will call and ask about a motorcycle pass and perhaps a hardship pass for the winter months. Otherwise, hopefully my motorcycle will blend in the the mopeds near the bike rack :wink:
Unfortunately you'll need a parking pass for a motorcycle. Mopeds do not need one. If I was allowed to pull up to the curb on a motorcycle, you better bet I'd be riding one to school every day. In my opinion, I think the pass is worth the money. You'll save a lot of time and hassle.

Judphud

New

Post by Judphud » Mon May 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Do all the classrooms have electrical outlets next to each seat or should I fork over the cash for a new computer with a long lasting battery?

el William

New

Post by el William » Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Judphud wrote:Do all the classrooms have electrical outlets next to each seat or should I fork over the cash for a new computer with a long lasting battery?

Good question. I am interested in this too.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Mon May 14, 2012 5:31 pm

el William wrote:
Judphud wrote:Do all the classrooms have electrical outlets next to each seat or should I fork over the cash for a new computer with a long lasting battery?

Good question. I am interested in this too.
No worries, there are outlets at every seat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Does anyone know of a good Chinese food takeout place in chapel hill?

alawstudentsometime

Bronze

Post by alawstudentsometime » Sun May 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Try Franklin Street. Jade Palace, OR:

http://www.butternutsquashrestaurant.com/

el William

New

Post by el William » Mon May 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Also checkout Tarheel Takeout. They offer delivery from a ton of Chapel Hill restaurants.

FDRSnowball

New

Post by FDRSnowball » Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 am

My parents are coming to Chapel Hill this weekend to help me unpack and whatnot. They want to check out the campus and particularly the law school. Will it be open so we can walk around and check it out? Do they lock buildings like this once classes are done for the semester?

This is probably a dumb question, but I went to a really small school for undergrad and they lock that place up tight once classes are finished.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:18 am

What do most people take to class. . . . . As in; backpack, briefcase, satchel, tote bag?

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:05 pm

FDRSnowball wrote:My parents are coming to Chapel Hill this weekend to help me unpack and whatnot. They want to check out the campus and particularly the law school. Will it be open so we can walk around and check it out? Do they lock buildings like this once classes are done for the semester?

This is probably a dumb question, but I went to a really small school for undergrad and they lock that place up tight once classes are finished.
Whoops, sorry, I haven't signed on in a while and didn't see this until too late! I assume you found it locked.. after hours and on weekends we have to swipe in with our Tar Heel OneCards.
Giantsfan13 wrote:What do most people take to class. . . . . As in; backpack, briefcase, satchel, tote bag?
People just bring normal backpacks...... Please don't show up with a briefcase. You will be labelled a gunner and possibly shunned.

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:27 am

I just got a macbook to use for law school. For those of you familiar with macs, is Pages enough, or do I need to get MS Word. I figured it was best to ask before I went out and got something.

KJHTheLawyer

New

Post by KJHTheLawyer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:20 am

How vigorously is the material covered at UNC Law?
Is it a school that will take all of your time?
What is the enviromet like around School?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:08 pm

KJHTheLawyer wrote:How vigorously is the material covered at UNC Law?
Vigorously, as at any law school. If you hear about a law school that's easy, don't go, it's a scam.
KJHTheLawyer wrote:Is it a school that will take all of your time?

As any law school, yes. Actual time commitment is up to you, though, depending on how efficiently you study and how well you want to do.
KJHTheLawyer wrote:What is the enviromet like around School?
Relatively laid back, for a law school. If you mean the physical environment--the building isn't that great, but the UNC main campus is beautiful and there's lots of stuff to do in Chapel Hill and Carrboro (which is a sort of hippie/hipster town backed up to Chapel Hill).

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Giantsfan13 wrote:I just got a macbook to use for law school. For those of you familiar with macs, is Pages enough, or do I need to get MS Word. I figured it was best to ask before I went out and got something.
Don't get MS Word--not because you don't need it (I don't know if you really do or not, because I don't know how different Pages is), but because if you wait until you get here they'll load it onto your computer for free!

adika86

New

Post by adika86 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Hey - just talked to some friends going to other schools and they are being required to send in medical information (vaccination reports, physicals, etc). Do we need to do this for UNC? Also, related, do we sign up for insurance once we get there?

Let me rephrase the question - what all did you turn in/do over the summer to ensure you were ready for the start of school?

Thanks!

el William

New

Post by el William » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Having read enough TLS to know that most people do not recommend doing much in the way of 0L prep during the summer, I am going to go ahead and ask anyway....

Do you recommend doing any prep work over the summer? I don't expect to learn a lot of substantive info before class starts, but I also feel like my confidence might be a little higher if I am not going into class with no idea what to expect. I was thinking about buying some E&E books used off of Amazon to peruse during the summer. The older editions are available for just a few bucks each and I was thinking it would be alright to browse through these while lounging by the pool. Is it stupid/detrimental to get the older editions? I know I will probably need to buy the new editions once school starts, but I was thinking that the older editions will help me feel more comfortable before school starts and I can make a decision about which new supplements to buy after going to class and seeing what the professors recommend.

tl;dr- should I prep b4 school starts? If so, how?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”