ASU 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ASULAWster

New

ASU 3L Taking Questions

Post by ASULAWster » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello,

I am just starting my 3rd year at ASU Law and would like to answers any questions you might have about ASU Law or the Phoenix legal markets. Let me know if I can help!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Re: ASU 3L Taking Questions

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Does there seem to be big competition from U of A grads for jobs in Phoenix? How about the T14? How did OCI go?

ASULAWster

New

Post by ASULAWster » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes, there is a lot of competition from U of A students for OCI jobs. My feeling is that law firms traditionally looked to U of A before ASU for summer associates, but that trend has changed and it is pretty even now. Most firms have equal number if not a few more students from ASU at the firms.

I took part in OCI in Fall of 2009. My grades were good (top 20%) with journal, moot court, and extra-circular experience. I received 3 interviews and did not land a job through OCI. Most students outside of the top 10% did not receive offers through OCI but landed summer associated positions as the academic year went along (either in big or small firms).

Because there is a strong draw to Phoenix, there is competition from "T14" schools, but if you want to land a legal job in Phoenix, ASU is definitely the place to be. It is such a small legal market that firms really like local law students who have shown a consistent interest in living in Phoenix. Firms also like students who have worked for judges or local offices through ASU's huge externship program. I know that many "T14" law students applied to my summer associate position, but the firm would not even consider those students before interviewing at ASU.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:58 pm

What percentage of students land large firm jobs?

What percentage of students land small firm jobs?

ASULAWster

New

Post by ASULAWster » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:14 pm

I do not know the exact numbers, but would guess that 8%-15% land big firm jobs and 35% - 50% land in small firms. This is strictly a guess based on whom I have talked to. It could be much different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Did you apply/seriously consider any other schools before selecting ASU? If so, why did you pick it?

Is there one thing that stands out about the school now that you are there that you would've never known from reading the brochure and website?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:40 pm

The tiny percentage of students who get jobs at big firms is one thing you won't see on the website or brochure that stands out to me.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 pm

So if half the class has firm jobs both big and small then the other half must enter into public interest? I would guess a large number wash out of law altogether.

ASULAWster

New

Post by ASULAWster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 pm

I apologize for not replying sooner.

I considered a few other schools (Minnesota, Florida, Miami, Wisconsin). I was interested in a large public school. I chose ASU because I really like the Phoenix/Arizona area (recreation, climate, lifestyle), the school was small, the campus had a lot to offer, the staff was friendly, it was a smooth transition (undergrad at ASU), and I knew I could compete with the students there. I am happy with my choice as it really feels like a "school on the rise" and there is always so much happening around it.

As far as the other students, I would say many enter public interest and government work. I don't know that a "fair amount wash out of law altogether." That brings me to another point: most students at ASU are very optimistic and happy about their choice and where they are as people. Not many walk around with their head down going through the halls and libraries.

I promise to reply faster next time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seven889

New

Post by seven889 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks for responding to my PM. I do have another question. How are the employment prospects for older graduates from ASU with more than 5 years of professional experience (e.g. corporate finance)? I'll be in my 30's when I graduate if I apply next year.

ASULAWster

New

Post by ASULAWster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I think students of all ages can be competitive and land jobs as second careers. In fact, I know at least 3 or 4 students/graduates who are working at the firms of their choice who are not the typical law student.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 pm

most students at ASU are very optimistic and happy about their choice and where they are as people. Not many walk around with their head down going through the halls and libraries.
I'm not sure what this means? Life is blissful as long as Sallie Mae is not calling, I guess.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm already aware of what the large firms (ones on NALP) are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale market. Can you please tell me what midsized and smaller ones that you know of that take paying 1L and/or 2L SAs?

My T10 does a good job of informing us as to BIGLAW, but I agree ASU people tend to know more about these sorts of these gigs and they are often quite SWeet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:43 pm

what would you say are the advantages/disadvantages or going to ASU vs UofA?

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm

What is the chance they are moving to a private model soon?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm

mala2 wrote:what would you say are the advantages/disadvantages or going to ASU vs UofA?
I think OP has abandoned the thread.

ASU and U of A are nearly identical from a career standpoint, go to the one that gives you the most money. If same money, go to the one you like best. As far as lifestyle, seriously folks, visit Tempe, visit Tucson - they are VERY different. Everyone on G-d's green earth has a preference one way or another and it won't take you long to figure out what yours is. Its a knee jerk reaction for most.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”