Wisconsin 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ciceroJD

New

Re: Wisconsin 2L Taking Questions

Post by ciceroJD » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:50 am

Do law students have access to a gym on campus included in their tuition and fees? if so, where is it? how are the facilities? is there a lap pool? how are the hours? is it usually crowded?

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Per the admitted students group on Facebook:
There are 3 gyms on campus (SERF, NAT & SHELL) that you have free access to with weights, basketball, racquetball, pools, ice rink, running tracks, badminton, volleyball, etc....there are also tennis courts and outdoor fields, intramural sports, etc...Law students have the same access to everything as all the other students.
I found more info on this topic here:

http://www.recsports.wisc.edu/

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:57 am

yeah, we get a student id, the SERF is the place.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:58 am

university apartments have few undergrads, it's mostly foriegn exchange families. personally, i passed after touring. i'm kinda glad i did.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Panther- thanks for answering questions.

1. Have you heard anything about Walker pulling back MN reciprocity? I hear a lot of talk about the reciprocity agreements ending.

2. Given madtown's reputation, is it difficult to study sometimes?

3. I've heard the school doesn't give out much in scholarships relative to most others, is this a fair assumption?

4. Do most students who get biglaw go to work in Chicago?

5. Do you (and/or your classmates) hate the gophers?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:34 pm

minnbills wrote:Panther- thanks for answering questions.

1. Have you heard anything about Walker pulling back MN reciprocity? I hear a lot of talk about the reciprocity agreements ending.

2. Given madtown's reputation, is it difficult to study sometimes?

3. I've heard the school doesn't give out much in scholarships relative to most others, is this a fair assumption?

4. Do most students who get biglaw go to work in Chicago?

5. Do you (and/or your classmates) hate the gophers?

Thanks!
1. haven't heard anything, but who knows
2. not if you want to.
3. true.
4. not sure, i know people with biglaw internships (or paid big firm summer jobs) in madison, minneapolis, chicago, milwaukee. there's likely more, but that's all from what i'm privy to. i know a lot of people are interning with judges this summer.
5. I'm from wisconsin, so yes. although there seems to be a lot of wolverines in our school, so that rivalry gets a little more attention.

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 am

Also an UG here, I think I could chip in some thoughts. First, we dropped to 11 in the rankings because we lost a handful of our best offensive linemen that were the driving force behind our running game. Second, the KK blows. Really bad. It is for coasties and frat boys, it's at the asshole of state street. Older students probably go to the nicer bars by the capital. University apartments: I'm not sure about the others, but Eagle heights is a long haul away from campus, you won't have to worry about undergrads stumbling around, none live there. It is lived in mostly by grad students and new faculty, and a great deal by the Chinese community here, I'm not sure why, but true story. I'd live elsewhere if I were you, it's pretty bleak up there. Walker hasn't said anything about pulling reciprocity yet, but our chancellor would put up a pretty big fight to keep that from happening. It can be difficult to study some of the time, but it won't be a big issue in my experience. We usually have to nut up and study sometimes. I'm not sure about the financial aid situation here, or employment after law school (I am just a UG after all). We don't really hate the gophers. We hate OSU and Michigan far more. It's hard to hate the gophers, I'd say the general feeling is more like pity for having such a sad football team. Most likely you will end up living south to southeast of the campus, where most people live, and you'll use the SERF to workout. It's okay, needs some redecorating (which I hear may happen soon), but the facilities are good enough. Madison is a pretty nice place to live on the whole, there's great food, amazing atmosphere in the summer if you stay, and the city has been fairly recession proof thus far (2% unemployment). Only thing that sucks is the weather. It gets cold. Really, really cold.

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Do you know of any law students who work part-time? I am thinking about working maybe 1-2 days a week just so I am not living off of student loans. I did get scholarship money, but I want to be in the least amount of debt possible. But then again if it is a bad idea to work, then I would rather not, because my grades are most important.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 pm

LilyGirl wrote:Do you know of any law students who work part-time? I am thinking about working maybe 1-2 days a week just so I am not living off of student loans. I did get scholarship money, but I want to be in the least amount of debt possible. But then again if it is a bad idea to work, then I would rather not, because my grades are most important.
You aren't going to want to work. You might have a few weeks where you're only putting in 30 hours, but they are far outweighed by your 80 hour weeks. It's really just not worth any extra stress. I think I know one 1L that does any sort of work outside of school related work, and from what I know, it's a rather limited holdover job from before law school.

Then again, I have terrible time management skills, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Technically, it's doable to work maybe Sundays or something. I would not recommend it to anyone though, even if it means taking out more loans. It's not so much about keeping the grades up as much as it is about keeping your sanity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. FWIW, Madison is my tentative #1 choice.

I have one other question. From looking at job placement stats, it seems that Madison actually outplaces Minnesota and some other peer schools. While I don't expect any of you guys to have intimate knowledge of hiring at Minnesota, would you say there's a sentiment that Madison outplaces its ranking?

In general, how would you describe 3Ls' feelings on the job hunt? Are things going better? Are they flat out bad, good etc... Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 pm

tikiman6 wrote:Second, the KK blows. Really bad. It is for coasties and frat boys, it's at the asshole of state street.
the KK is always cool if u a bro. lots of hot sorority girls if u'r into that kinda thing. not asshole of state street. mondays is the asshole of state street and it smells like it too. note: i lived at the KK and mondays for several years.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 am

minnbills wrote:Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. FWIW, Madison is my tentative #1 choice.

I have one other question. From looking at job placement stats, it seems that Madison actually outplaces Minnesota and some other peer schools. While I don't expect any of you guys to have intimate knowledge of hiring at Minnesota, would you say there's a sentiment that Madison outplaces its ranking?

In general, how would you describe 3Ls' feelings on the job hunt? Are things going better? Are they flat out bad, good etc... Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
I just don't think many of us directly compete with students from "better" schools. A lot of our jobs we usually look at are either local (where school name carries it's weight) or jobs that are not something someone from Yale is going to apply to. For example, a graduate of Harvard is usually not going to be gunning for an ADA spot in Wausau or Appleton. Remember that rankings are just generalizations, not fact.

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Last edited by columbia86 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:19 am

if anybody has any UW questions i'm a rising 2L having a slooowwww day at work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”