0L's, what are you doing the summer before law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
chizzy

Silver

Re: 0L's, what are you doing the summer before law school?

Post by chizzy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 pm

KatyMarie wrote:Am I the only one who planned to work up until two weeks before law school starts? Is that a really bad idea? I figured it can't take me that long to move and settle in.
i was thinking of doing this too but im afraid i might burn out. im trying to enjoy myself as much as possible before it starts.

Finnick

New

Post by Finnick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm working and reading a lot of prep books (Getting to Maybe, LSC, etc.). Hoping to move to my new city a month or so before school starts to get acquainted with the area.

goldenboy514

Silver

Post by goldenboy514 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:24 pm

chizzy wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:Am I the only one who planned to work up until two weeks before law school starts? Is that a really bad idea? I figured it can't take me that long to move and settle in.
i was thinking of doing this too but im afraid i might burn out. im trying to enjoy myself as much as possible before it starts.
I was gonna work up until the week before but now I'm starting to think ill quit job in early august (1st week maybe?). Assuming school starts last week of August

iskim88

Bronze

Post by iskim88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Learning a language, travelling, working out & reading a lot.

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 pm

i don't think there's necessary a plan better than the other. as long as you can function by orientation. you are fine IMO. do whatever you like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:12 pm

I currently intern at my local DA's office and plan to during the beginning of summer while doing some light law school prep as in reading law School Confidential by Miller and a bunch of TLS articles I have bookmarked on success in law school. Also trying to lose about ten more pounds as I have already lost 12 since August. July and probably the first two weeks of August will be spent doing absolutely nothing except going to the beach and enjoying the last bit of freedom I have.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:17 pm

-Mentoring incoming TFA corps members at institute for 6 weeks.
-Reading 1L of a Ride + Getting to Maybe (0L prep is hotly debated, but I feel like this is a low lift prep that couldn't hurt)
-Traveling (haven't decided where/may depend on finances... leaning DC + hiking backwoods if domestic, hiking Spain if international)
-Desperately rationalizing the impending debt

ETA:
-reading a few novels that aren't written for middle schoolers
-boxing training

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:21 pm

yossarian71 wrote:-Mentoring incoming TFA corps members at institute for 6 weeks.
-Reading 1L of a Ride + Getting to Maybe (0L prep is hotly debated, but I feel like this is a low lift prep that couldn't hurt)
-Traveling (haven't decided where/may depend on finances... leaning DC + hiking backwoods if domestic, hiking Spain if international)

ETA:
-boxing training
You a boxer?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 pm

drawstring wrote: You a boxer?
Nah, messed around a bit in high school. The training seems ideal for a fitness regimen thru summer travel. (Much of it is low equipment). Then, when near a gym, I do want to start sparring. See where that goes. ND has a boxing tourney for the law school. Sounds fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Cool.

I boxed competitively for a number of years and still train a few times a week. Absolutely great way to stay in shape.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Probably quitting work in mid-June and traveling(US)/reading/relaxing for a few months.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Finishing my book, biking across the Great Wall of China, growing long hair and a moustache and learning to break dance.

cberg

New

Post by cberg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38 am

yossarian71 wrote:-Mentoring incoming TFA corps members at institute for 6 weeks.

ETA:
-boxing training

Oh god… I never even want to think about Institute again. I've been hearing my friends complain about law school for the past three years, but I think that if I can survive the hell that was TFA institute I can do just about anything :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 am

goldenboy514 wrote:
chizzy wrote:
I was gonna work up until the week before but now I'm starting to think ill quit job in early august (1st week maybe?). Assuming school starts last week of August
I quit in October. And 10 months doesn't feel like enough.

ParisetMoi

New

Post by ParisetMoi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 am

Honestly I'm thinking of doing the same - though I may stop working three weeks before the start so that I can spend one week with the fam (I have very young siblings) and then two weeks to myself getting used to the area around law school.

I'm hoping working throughout summer won't be too bad - the football world cup will be on so that should bring some excitement and I'm hoping to do a lot of catching up with friends, going to the theatre and other general things I like doing around my hometown before the big move.

trackstar953

New

Post by trackstar953 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 am

Getting married, honeymooning, and then relaxing and packing everything to move to wherever I decide to go to school at.

meb1212

Bronze

Post by meb1212 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 am

Still debating on when to leave my current job. I'd like at least a few weeks off before school starts. Once I'm off, I plan on relaxing, reading Getting to Maybe, and a other couple of books just for fun. Once August comes, I figure it'll be quite while before I get to choose what I want to read...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:40 am

drawstring wrote:Cool.

I boxed competitively for a number of years and still train a few times a week. Absolutely great way to stay in shape.
I currently do boxing/Thai boxing and one thing that actually does bother me about leaving NYC is actually leaving my gym. It sounds dumb, but you really build a repertoire with the people there.

Coprolalia

New

Post by Coprolalia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:39 pm

http://Www.Keybr.com

And

Spritz (android ap)
Last edited by Coprolalia on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Starting my summer break...Wednesday. Travelling to a few places in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, with a lot of netflix binging thrown in, and trying to get to the US by mid-July to find an apartment wherever I end up.

Meanwhile dragging a few books along to get me in a law school state of mind. Although I borrowed a friend's Torts E&E, read 5 pages and was lost. So might just not touch anything after all. Except Getting to Maybe.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 am

I'm working pretty much straight up to the end (although I do have a lot of vacation time saved up so I'm gonna take a bunch of four day weeks during the summer). Besides that, just Reading Getting to Maybe and picking up pennies on the beach to start paying back loans.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 am

I'm likely starting at the end of May, so I'm working till the start of the month, going out west to go backpacking with some friends, visiting another friend up in the Adirondacks, and then mooooving. I'll have about 3 weeks between quitting my job and starting orientation.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am

alex.cm wrote:I'm likely starting at the end of May, so I'm working till the start of the month, going out west to go backpacking with some friends, visiting another friend up in the Adirondacks, and then mooooving. I'll have about 3 weeks between quitting my job and starting orientation.
Where're you going camping?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 am

cotiger wrote:
alex.cm wrote:I'm likely starting at the end of May, so I'm working till the start of the month, going out west to go backpacking with some friends, visiting another friend up in the Adirondacks, and then mooooving. I'll have about 3 weeks between quitting my job and starting orientation.
Where're you going camping?
And can I come?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 am

Getting turned up and burning shit down.

By which I mean I'll be working until about a month out from school, and then taking time off to just chill at home. I'd also love to travel to Europe at some point, but I don't know if that will be financially viable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”