Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

jdapplicant

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Checking in!

Anyone planning on attending the reception at the Sailfish Club in Palm Beach, FL? Feel free to pm

aliciaflorrick

New

Post by aliciaflorrick » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Long time lurker here, new admit. Congrats to all the others!!

Y we no have fb group yet?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:35 am

Checking in:)

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Humble and proud to be checking in here. Columbia has been a dream of mine since I don't even know. That being said, I'm stuck between NYU, Columbia and UChi.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't know if the PIN number they give you in the letter of admissions is custom per person or is generic, but if it's generic, would someone mind PMing me with the number? I only received the admitted students handbook, not the initial blue envelope with letter of admission/the PIN. The admissions office is resending the letter, but I'd like to start planning for financial aid and ASW now. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:16 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:Humble and proud to be checking in here. Columbia has been a dream of mine since I don't even know. That being said, I'm stuck between NYU, Columbia and UChi.
+1 with Penn added in the mix. It's probably going to come down to money but I could picture myself at any of them :?

Regardless, we're all in awesome positions!

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Anyone else get three consecutive identical emails from admit@law.columbia.edu requesting that we fill out a survey?

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Leo wrote:Anyone else get three consecutive identical emails from admit@law.columbia.edu requesting that we fill out a survey?
Yes.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:39 pm

A very unprofessional set of emails. I am considering withdrawing and going elsewhere!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrianG

New

Post by BrianG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:11 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:I don't know if the PIN number they give you in the letter of admissions is custom per person or is generic, but if it's generic, would someone mind PMing me with the number? I only received the admitted students handbook, not the initial blue envelope with letter of admission/the PIN. The admissions office is resending the letter, but I'd like to start planning for financial aid and ASW now. Thanks!
it's a custom PIN tied to your email address :|

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:A very unprofessional set of emails. I am considering withdrawing and going elsewhere!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

aliciaflorrick

New

Post by aliciaflorrick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 pm

jdapplicant wrote:Checking in!

Anyone planning on attending the reception at the Sailfish Club in Palm Beach, FL? Feel free to pm

Where are the receptions listed? Will I be getting info about them in my (e)mail? Or are they somewhere on the ASW I havent come across yet?

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 pm

aliciaflorrick wrote:

Where are the receptions listed? Will I be getting info about them in my (e)mail? Or are they somewhere on the ASW I havent come across yet?
Page 5 of the ASH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 pm

aliciaflorrick wrote:

Also, homepage > visit > off-campus events should take you there.

canes14

New

Post by canes14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Are there a lot of other Florida people here? I'm considering attending the Palm Beach reception, but it's a little bit of a hike for me.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 pm

What exactly do they mean by "Registration" on the ASW program?

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:17 pm

canes14 wrote:Are there a lot of other Florida people here? I'm considering attending the Palm Beach reception, but it's a little bit of a hike for me.
+1

Edit: I might make the trip with two friends of mine from my UG that also want to attend the reception. PMed you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
selden wrote:Has anyone received a non Butler/Hamilton scholarship so far?
i think that stuff doesn't come until later like most of the rest of the t14
Quick question about non-named scholarships. I read on a few places around TLS that Columbia's "merit aid" comes under the moniker of "Need Based Aid." First, is that the consensus? And if so, does that mean in order to receive merit aid that you need to fill out all the stuff for Need Based Grants (which has a deadline of March 1st).

I'm just wondering because coordinating the endless forms required for the Need Based Grants between two divorced parents (whose incomes almost certainly disqualify me from any need based grants) is quite the task especially given a relatively close deadline.

Lastly, hello and congratulations to everyone!! :D :D

theoutpostmhs

Bronze

Post by theoutpostmhs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Balthy wrote:What exactly do they mean by "Registration" on the ASW program?
Wondering the same thing!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:38 pm

theoutpostmhs wrote:
Balthy wrote:What exactly do they mean by "Registration" on the ASW program?
Wondering the same thing!
Asked a friend at CLS and it's just registration for the ASW.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Any idea how Columbia does non-Butler/Hamilton aid?

i.e. Does it exist? And when/how do they notify?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:54 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Any idea how Columbia does non-Butler/Hamilton aid?

Hey! I'm a current 1L and figured I'd chip in.

It exists. I think last year they had us submit certain documents (parents' income tax returns, W-2's, etc.) along with FAFSA/a questionnaire by the start of April. Start gathering that material now if you can. You didn't get any priority if you sent them in before that. You can certainly submit financial aid material after, but that was the first day they claimed to start looking at them.

I ended up receiving $40,000, with a solidly middle-class background (not low-income by any means but not high either). I honestly think that reflected some "merit aid" consideration in my case, although they may claim to do only need-based (if you truly are low-income they're a lot less stingy than you'd think). They will negotiate based on other offers, but seemed to focus primarily on offers made from "comparable schools" - I heard NYU and Chicago were the ones that'd carry any weight, essentially. If you get HYS, then I assume probably got some money coming your way (I didn't apply/get in so I can't say personally how that would've affected it). I do know my UVA/Duke money didn't do much.

I've heard of a solid number getting ~$30,000 and also a good number at or approaching Butler levels (the low-income). When I say "low-income," I don't mean that you make near minimum wage as a legal assistant or some other starting job - I mean that you grew up with your parents making very little money throughout your childhood. The Financial Aid Office does focus on that distinction. Keep in mind too that what I've seen isn't a complete sample size, or even a particularly large one - it's just what I came across personally when I was trying to sort all of this out.

But it does exist and don't count yourself out. Hope this helps and makes things a little more transparent.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm wondering if it's possible they give out need-based aid on top of a merit scholarship. The Butler is awesome, but the rest of the tuition + NYC COL really add up.

Though perhaps negotiating with NYU might help here.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 pm

JVK wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Any idea how Columbia does non-Butler/Hamilton aid?

Hey! I'm a current 1L and figured I'd chip in.

It exists. I think last year they had us submit certain documents (parents' income tax returns, W-2's, etc.) along with FAFSA/a questionnaire by the start of April. Start gathering that material now if you can. You didn't get any priority if you sent them in before that. You can certainly submit financial aid material after, but that was the first day they claimed to start looking at them.

I ended up receiving $40,000, with a solidly middle-class background (not low-income by any means but not high either). I honestly think that reflected some "merit aid" consideration in my case, although they may claim to do only need-based (if you truly are low-income they're a lot less stingy than you'd think). They will negotiate based on other offers, but seemed to focus primarily on offers made from "comparable schools" - I heard NYU and Chicago were the ones that'd carry any weight, essentially. If you get HYS, then I assume probably got some money coming your way (I didn't apply/get in so I can't say personally how that would've affected it). I do know my UVA/Duke money didn't do much.

I've heard of a solid number getting ~$30,000 and also a good number at or approaching Butler levels (the low-income). When I say "low-income," I don't mean that you make near minimum wage as a legal assistant or some other starting job - I mean that you grew up with your parents making very little money throughout your childhood. The Financial Aid Office does focus on that distinction. Keep in mind too that what I've seen isn't a complete sample size, or even a particularly large one - it's just what I came across personally when I was trying to sort all of this out.

But it does exist and don't count yourself out. Hope this helps and makes things a little more transparent.
Thanks for the long response!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks, JVK!

So if CLS doesn't start getting down to business re: awards until April, then a lot of those receiving April 4 exploding scholarship offers from NYU will surely not hear back in time to make a comparison.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”