Clerkship w/ no geographic ties Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship w/ no geographic ties

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:58 pm

2L, #1 at T50, law review e-board, RA for prof, two federal govt internships this summer at DOJ and Congress. My school does not have a good clerkship program, and our advisor is very new at this.

I am Midwest born and raised but hoping to be on the East Coast (preferably mid-Atlantic) for family reasons. I've been told I'd be competitive for the in-state district courts but I really have no desire to stay here. Am I competitive for a district court or COA in areas with no previous geographic ties?

[If this is the wrong board please tell me where this would go. I believe a moderator deleted my first attempt at posting this for being in the "wrong forum." Not sure where else a question about judicial clerkships would go].

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship w/ no geographic ties

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:57 pm

You can try, but your odds aren’t phenomenal. Fed Soc will help for sure. An offer to work in your desired market might help, as would applying to alums of your school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

If you have a family reason for wanting to be on the East Coast, is that not a tie to that region? Either way, it can’t hurt to apply. But I was in a similar situation to you and found more traction in judicial districts in the states surrounding my law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm

I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility, so you might as well apply to all the judges you'd be willing to work for and see what happens - being #1 in your class definitely helps, and there are judges who don't care much about geographic ties. I think the judges in major metro areas on the East Coast might be tough (as they are for anyone), but judges in less in-demand locations (and who went to non-T14 schools themselves) are more likely to consider your app. Definitely ask if any of your professors are willing to call chambers and emphasize why you want to clerk for a specific judge in your cover letter.

Also, you know you're not stuck forever in the state you clerk in, right? I'd apply for the district/circuit judges in your state if your personal circumstances permit you to stay another year or two (though I get that sometimes that's not possible). You'd probably be a very competitive candidate with those judges, and I know a lot of who clerked in like Ohio or Indiana and then moved to NY/DC/etc. afterwards.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

It's possible. Just apply broadly to wherever you're willing to live. I had a fairly similar profile and landed a solid number of interviews spread out across the country. I wasn't overly picky about geography, but I got plenty of interviews outside my state and school's region. My two clerkships (D. Ct. and COA) were nowhere near my law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm
If you have a family reason for wanting to be on the East Coast, is that not a tie to that region? Either way, it can’t hurt to apply. But I was in a similar situation to you and found more traction in judicial districts in the states surrounding my law school.
I agree that a family reason to be in the area is a tie. My experience has been that people with similar stats to yours have been more successful within the circuit where their law school is located. That said, it’s all a crap shoot - apply broadly (and talk to your profs).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:48 am

#1 in class at a good law school will get you looks at all but the most competitive districts. Shoot your shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”