January-January Clerkship and Recruiting Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

January-January Clerkship and Recruiting

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm

Current clerk who recently began a clerkship (Article III judge) that runs January-January instead of the traditional Fall-Fall. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how this might impact post-clerkship recruiting. Not worried about it right this second, but a little worried it will be hard to recruit on the back end. I could always go back to my old firm, where I was for over a year, but I'd like to explore my options a bit.

Anonymous User

Re: January-January Clerkship and Recruiting

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm
Current clerk who recently began a clerkship (Article III judge) that runs January-January instead of the traditional Fall-Fall. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how this might impact post-clerkship recruiting. Not worried about it right this second, but a little worried it will be hard to recruit on the back end. I could always go back to my old firm, where I was for over a year, but I'd like to explore my options a bit.
What recruiting? Do you mean applying for jobs? The January clerks I know did not have trouble getting big law offers with Jan./Feb. start dates. People join and leave firms all year.

But if you're referring to some specific recruiting process I can't speak to that.

Anonymous User

Re: January-January Clerkship and Recruiting

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm
You will be fine. You should reach out to firms you are interested in on the earlier side (March/April) as that's kind of the dead period for law firm recruiting departments. They will have other things on their mind from when summer associates begin (May/June) to when 2L OCI ends (October-ish), and reaching out in October may be too late for some firms.

They may tell you to check back later if you reach out that early, but no harm/no foul. Essentially all of my friends who clerked wished they reached out to firms earlier; nobody wishes they did it later.

You should also check in with your judge on their policy and be mindful of conflicts during your clerkship.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”