Questions about California Supreme Court Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Questions about California Supreme Court

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm

I have a few questions about clerking on the California Supreme court.

1) Is it safe to say that, on average, expect the same level of competitiveness as 9th?
2) More specifically, how competitive are Liu or Kruger? And what are they like as bosses?
3) How heavy is the docket compared to COA and what does it look like?
4) My plan long term is to practice in California. I know clerking in in SSC will almost certainly be beneficial for that. But curious how much weight CA SSC holds outside of California? Say, in DC or NY.

Anonymous User

Re: Questions about California Supreme Court

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:04 pm

This is from a NALP state clerkship guide that Berkeley has on its website:

The Justices of the California Supreme Court generally do not hire term law clerks, except in a few rare cases. Justice Cuellar, Justice Kruger, and Justice Liu often hire term law clerks, however, these positions are extremely competitive. The Justices tend to hire clerks with previous clerkship experience - and sometimes hire clerks without a previous clerkship but only those who will bring at least one year of post-graduate practice experince. The Justices tend to hire 2-3 years in advance of the term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm

1) Is it safe to say that, on average, expect the same level of competitiveness as 9th?
2) More specifically, how competitive are Liu or Kruger? And what are they like as bosses?
4) My plan long term is to practice in California. I know clerking in in SSC will almost certainly be beneficial for that. But curious how much weight CA SSC holds outside of California? Say, in DC or NY.
Liu seemed on par with feeders for hiring credentials from my school - LR + top grades + other shit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Try to see if you can get a CA SSC and 9th cir. combination. Best of both worlds and makes you unique. Anecdotally I know a few people who have done SSC and circuit clerkships and it makes them stand up and can be helpful. Prestige of federal circuit plus you can be the go to person on a state because unlikely a ton of other people will have the SSC clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”