How competitive am I for D. Ct. or COA? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How competitive am I for D. Ct. or COA?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 am

2L with 4.08 after 3 semesters at T50 strong regional school that historically sends <10 grads each year to Article III clerkships and consistently 30% to biglaw. There is a significant alumni pool who have gained clerkships in local COA, usually after a year or two of big law practice. I was 1L big law summer and will continue at the same firm for 2L summer. I've tailored my transcript towards fed doctrinal classes, e.g., First Amendment, admin, evidence, and fed courts. Am I in the running for competitive districts like SDNY, CDCal, NDCal, DDC? What about 9/2/DC COA? It's so hard to tell when people say things like the average interviewee in competitive districts and circuits is top 10% at T6. School doesn't rank so can't say if I'm first or fifth but I'm almost certainly in the top 5 people in my class. I just don't know if >4.0 gpa even is enough to get plucked out of the pile. Decided not to transfer after 4.1 1L year, to my chagrin.
TIA, anon for obvious reasons.

Anonymous User

Re: How competitive am I for D. Ct. or COA?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:39 am

I think it depends on if your school historically places on competitive districts/circuits. For example, Fordham grads can land SDNY/2d Cir with some judges like Judge Chin. And I’ve known of some folks who go from Kansas to the 9th. So, based on my amateur analysis, you might have a shot if your school has ties to those regions/has a placement record there.

It becomes more of an uphill battle if you don’t have a school that’s connected to those regions. I think your best bet is to research judges in those regions/courts, see if they’ve hired clerks from comparable schools in the past, and then go for it.

I will also ask you to consider whether it’s necessary to land on one of those courts as opposed to the “local” COA. Are you just planning to do biglaw or do you have certain aspirations that require you to fixate only on the most competitive courts in the country?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:56 am

Sounds like you are at a place like Tulane or Bama or something.

I think you're are competitive for your local COA. Might could be for other circuits if you apply widely and get someone you match well with, but I wouldn't say it's a for sure thing, by any means.

On paper, you are competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:39 am
I think it depends on if your school historically places on competitive districts/circuits. For example, Fordham grads can land SDNY/2d Cir with some judges like Judge Chin. And I’ve known of some folks who go from Kansas to the 9th. So, based on my amateur analysis, you might have a shot if your school has ties to those regions/has a placement record there.

It becomes more of an uphill battle if you don’t have a school that’s connected to those regions. I think your best bet is to research judges in those regions/courts, see if they’ve hired clerks from comparable schools in the past, and then go for it.

I will also ask you to consider whether it’s necessary to land on one of those courts as opposed to the “local” COA. Are you just planning to do biglaw or do you have certain aspirations that require you to fixate only on the most competitive courts in the country?
Thanks for the input. After considering your comment, I'd agree. I think I meet some minimal threshold to be considered, but actually landing an interview would depend on other soft factors like "fit" and ties with the specific chambers.

I'm planning to do big law for at least the first ~decade of my career, but I've learned that life is fickle and I'd like to have the most flexibility possible down the road as far as big fed, academia, in-house, etc.

Any advice how to check what schools certain chambers hire from other than law schools' individual career offices or just blind searching LinkedIn? Usually public data isn't that granular.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks for the input. After considering your comment, I'd agree. I think I meet some minimal threshold to be considered, but actually landing an interview would depend on other soft factors like "fit" and ties with the specific chambers.

I'm planning to do big law for at least the first ~decade of my career, but I've learned that life is fickle and I'd like to have the most flexibility possible down the road as far as big fed, academia, in-house, etc.

Any advice how to check what schools certain chambers hire from other than law schools' individual career offices or just blind searching LinkedIn? Usually public data isn't that granular.
It's honestly (and unfortunately) pretty inscrutable beyond law school alumni lists (which are all internal). I'd say sorting linkedin is a decent bet, but that isn't going to break out by judge, just by district/circuit, and a lot of people don't specify judge on linkedin.

Probably honestly better to go on the website for clerk heavy or large firms, sort by the district/circuits that you are interested in and then look at the credentials of young associates that clerked there.

---

Also, maybe I'm off base here but I think top 10% at T6 kinda understates the credentials that are competitive across DCC/CA2/CA9 or SDNY/DDC/etc these days. Grades alone are sufficient to be competitive across those courts for like the 1 person who wins Faye at HLS and the 1 person who graduates from Chicago with Highest Honors.

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I went to SLS/UChi/HLS and everyone I know who is clerking on one of those courts was top 10% at graduation with some combo of moot court awards, law review, influential professors calling or other extenuating circumstances (political affiliation, veteran, HYPSM undergrad, DEI, Marshall/Rhodes scholar, famous parents).

Apologies if this comes across harsh, but I think that your chances depend very much on whether you have professors who have relationships with target judges calling on your behalf or if any of the other extenuating circumstances apply. The grades alone are probably not enough to be competitive. I also don't really think that awards from your school are going to move the needle much in your favor because the HYS/T6 applicants are likely to have the same awards from their respective schools and judges are (unfortunately) going to view Stanford Law Review or an Ames finalist more favorably than the equivalent award at a T50.

Also, don't kick yourself for not transferring, your chances are better for not having done it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:59 am

Apply broadly, but I agree that your best shot is with judges who’ve hired from your school before (alums?), and your school should have a list of where previous students have been hired. It’s only your school that matters, not so much whether a judge has hired from similarly ranked schools (for instance I know a COA judge in a state with 2 law schools who hired exclusively from their own T6 alma mater and the 2 local schools. One of those was a T50, but it doesn’t mean they hired from the T50 generally, just from that specific T50).

As someone who graduated from a similar school, your best shot is probably the judges in your district/circuit. This can be a little tough depending on your location in that if you’re in a circuit filled with T14 schools, you have tough local competition, but this is still where judges are going to be most familiar with your school and probably value it most. Not saying don’t apply anywhere else, just that this is the place to focus on, then branch out. Also consider things like UG alma mater or other shared life experiences in looking for judges.

Your local circuit may not contain the particular jdxs that you identified in your OP, but I also think the obsession with “top” clerkships often seen on this site is misplaced (understandable given the way that rankings/prestige works in this profession, but misplaced). All clerkships are valuable. If you’re looking for a feeder, that’s one thing (though I’m sure you know that your shot at SCOTUS is *exceedingly* slim and based more on politics/connections at this point). But clerking at all will materially help keep those other doors open - it doesn’t need to be in any of the jdxs this board considers “top.”

For instance, big fed likes clerkships but isn’t that fussy about which ones. Academia likes clerkships but your success there will be based on writing and publishing, not which judge you clerked for, probably even if you ended up at SCOTUS. I doubt in-house jobs would really even care about clerking since most are looking for corporate skills, not litigation. And if you plan to work in biglaw for at least 10 years, your experiences and connections from those 10 years are going to shape your career much more directly than which clerkship you did 10 years before will. Get the experience because it’s valuable for a litigator, make connections and collect the gold star for the future, and then go see what else happens. Worrying about SDNY or 9/2/DC for what they’ll allow you to do 10+ years in the future is not productive.

(You may get one of those clerkships, who knows! But plenty of people don’t clerk in those places and go on to have stellar careers.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:08 pm

Yeah it’s not about “comparable schools,” it’s about whether a judge has hired from your school. Honestly, a lot of judges/law clerks reviewing applications won’t know what schools are “comparable” once you get outside the T-14 (with maybe the exception of schools in their city/region).

I’d just focus on where you’d like to practice rather than chasing “top” courts - go ahead and apply for sure, but when asking professors to call chambers (for example), I’d focus on your local district/circuit or where you have strong ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:08 pm
Yeah it’s not about “comparable schools,” it’s about whether a judge has hired from your school. Honestly, a lot of judges/law clerks reviewing applications won’t know what schools are “comparable” once you get outside the T-14 (with maybe the exception of schools in their city/region).

I’d just focus on where you’d like to practice rather than chasing “top” courts - go ahead and apply for sure, but when asking professors to call chambers (for example), I’d focus on your local district/circuit or where you have strong ties.
Disagree about comprable schools. I’m clerking for a judge who never hired from my law school but “dips” in the rankings for top individuals all the time—all from various schools. I know if a few judges that do this too (most recently with someone from my law school at the top of the class). The clerk just has to fit the profile.

I agree as to ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:08 pm

Disagree about comprable schools. I’m clerking for a judge who never hired from my law school but “dips” in the rankings for top individuals all the time—all from various schools. I know if a few judges that do this too (most recently with someone from my law school at the top of the class). The clerk just has to fit the profile.

I agree as to ties.
There are always going to be judges who hire for various idiosyncratic reasons. I think this is way less common than judges sticking to particular schools, though. Plus it's really hard to find out which judges do this as opposed to which judges hire from your own school, especially when there's a "profile" involved (if by that you mean anything beyond "top student in single digits of their class").

In any case, I don't think this should stop the OP from applying everywhere they're at all willing to work, and they may run across someone like your judge, in which case, great! But if they have to focus at all, I'd start with who's hired from their school first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:36 pm

OP - thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I'll stay vague to mitigate doxxing, but I am interested in a niche area of litigation. School is located in nationally competitive district. Not interested in feeders for the sake of SCOTUS as I know that is essentially off the table.

I agree with the previous sentiment that emphasis on most competitive courts is largely misplaced absent desire for SCOTUS. The marginal gain in "prestige" doesn't really outweigh the effort (likely in vain) to achieve it if I can already get some art. III district court clerkship. And not even in a flyover district (DNJ, SDCal, Tex, etc.)

"Get the experience because it’s valuable for a litigator, make connections and collect the gold star for the future, and then go see what else happens. Worrying about SDNY or 9/2/DC for what they’ll allow you to do 10+ years in the future is not productive." - Completely agree with this. Thanks. It's so easy to get sucked into the prestige cesspool that is this profession and lose sight of more important goals for me, like starting a family, maintaining a healthy relationship with my family and partner, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:28 pm

Pretty confident that you can get a Dct gig. Maybe not in the most competitive areas, but if you send in apps (go for paper apps for off plan judges now if you can) to a wide range of spots I would say you have a pretty great shot. I think TLS likes to make clerkships seems more unobtainable than they are. But that would have probably gotten you a interview with my Dct Judge. And once you land that job it will be pretty easy to get a COA gig.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:26 am
Also, maybe I'm off base here but I think top 10% at T6 kinda understates the credentials that are competitive across DCC/CA2/CA9 or SDNY/DDC/etc these days. Grades alone are sufficient to be competitive across those courts for like the 1 person who wins Faye at HLS and the 1 person who graduates from Chicago with Highest Honors.

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I went to SLS/UChi/HLS and everyone I know who is clerking on one of those courts was top 10% at graduation with some combo of moot court awards, law review, influential professors calling or other extenuating circumstances (political affiliation, veteran, HYPSM undergrad, DEI, Marshall/Rhodes scholar, famous parents).
I just want to add a second data point because I think this forum can really lean too hard into how impossible some of this stuff to get is and it just reinforces the prestige circlejerk. I go to a low T14 way beneath SLS, HLS, etc. in the rankings and I know of at least four people from my school who have gotten either SDNY or DDC who are not the kinds of all-stars this poster is talking about. They are all great and very capable, but in various combinations they are (1) not in the 10%, much less have GPAs above 4.0, (2) not on law review, (3) not from fancy undergrads, and (4) not DEI. None of them are Rhodes scholars, children of judges, or Navy SEALs.

What they all had in common was being in the right place at the right time -- getting their application in front of the right judge and finding a way to get pulled from the pile. OP, if you really want this stuff, that is what you need to find a way to do.

Even on SDNY and DDC, I think there are only a few judges who will only hire the top person at Yale or whatever (maybe Boasberg, etc.). There are a non-negligible amount that will hire a way broader range than the Internet might lead you to believe. The hard part is getting them to notice you because of just how many qualified candidates there are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I just want to add a second data point because I think this forum can really lean too hard into how impossible some of this stuff to get is and it just reinforces the prestige circlejerk. I go to a low T14 way beneath SLS, HLS, etc. in the rankings and I know of at least four people from my school who have gotten either SDNY or DDC who are not the kinds of all-stars this poster is talking about. They are all great and very capable, but in various combinations they are (1) not in the 10%, much less have GPAs above 4.0, (2) not on law review, (3) not from fancy undergrads, and (4) not DEI. None of them are Rhodes scholars, children of judges, or Navy SEALs.

What they all had in common was being in the right place at the right time -- getting their application in front of the right judge and finding a way to get pulled from the pile. OP, if you really want this stuff, that is what you need to find a way to do.

Even on SDNY and DDC, I think there are only a few judges who will only hire the top person at Yale or whatever (maybe Boasberg, etc.). There are a non-negligible amount that will hire a way broader range than the Internet might lead you to believe. The hard part is getting them to notice you because of just how many qualified candidates there are.
I sort of agree with this re grades and all those other things not being the end all be all. However, I do not agree that this is a product of being a right place at the right time. (Like most of life) It's about connections if you have a good relationship with a professor, some nepotism, or just general networking you can get your application in front of a judge. Hell I know someone who was median at a T14 and went up to a Circuit judge at a CLE event and was able to do an elevator pitch into getting a job. She is very smooth and good at this kind of thing though (if I tried to do this I would probably get laughed at). For OP, I suspect you have some superstar professors at your school. I'd try to get an in with them and see if they will rec you to someone. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I sort of agree with this re grades and all those other things not being the end all be all. However, I do not agree that this is a product of being a right place at the right time. (Like most of life) It's about connections if you have a good relationship with a professor, some nepotism, or just general networking you can get your application in front of a judge. Hell I know someone who was median at a T14 and went up to a Circuit judge at a CLE event and was able to do an elevator pitch into getting a job. She is very smooth and good at this kind of thing though (if I tried to do this I would probably get laughed at). For OP, I suspect you have some superstar professors at your school. I'd try to get an in with them and see if they will rec you to someone. Sometimes that is all it takes.
I don't think you two are disagreeing? I assumed that "being in the right place at the right time" meant having the right connections to get your application pulled from the pile.

And I agree with both the above. It is, in theory, possible to get pulled from the pile through sheer brilliance - amazing grades and traditional qualifications and glowing LORs, that kind of thing. This is even more likely if you can offer something truly unique and cool (Olympic athlete, best-selling novelist, significant military success - for instance, I know of one clerk who was one of very very few women in a particular military role). Or you just get lucky and something catches they eye of someone reviewing your app - that still happens. But you have a much better shot if you can work some kind of connection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Person you responded to here!

I think we are sorta agreeing - I mean that grades alone are sufficient to be competitive for top clerkship for a very, very limited group of people and are necessary for the vast majority of other credible applicants.

You did a better job explaining the point about distinguishing yourself to get pulled from the pile - the things I listed out were just examples of common ways people seem to get pulled.

Also, are any of those 4 students perhaps fedsoc oriented? That matters enough that it would be a touch disingenuous to use it as an example of how accessible clerkships are for people that lack the typical credentials. It's just not exportable outside that context

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think we are sorta agreeing - I mean that grades alone are sufficient to be competitive for top clerkship for a very, very limited group of people and are necessary for the vast majority of other credible applicants.

You did a better job explaining the point about distinguishing yourself to get pulled from the pile - the things I listed out were just examples of common ways people seem to get pulled.

Also, are any of those 4 students perhaps fedsoc oriented? That matters enough that it would be a touch disingenuous to use it as an example of how accessible clerkships are for people that lack the typical credentials. It's just not exportable outside that context
And I am the person you are responding to also. OK, I agree with what you're saying. A very small group of people can get pulled from the pile on SDNY because they are EIC of Harvard Law Review, and all they have to do is just upload to OSCAR. For everyone else, it's all about getting your application in front of the judge and even fancy judges will often deign to hire people with credentials that are widely achievable. As for Fed Soc, three of the four are not - one I can't say.

When I said "being at the right place at the right time" I didn't mean to denigrate that or make it sound like it's just luck. There is a ton of work, a ton of skill, and a ton of persistence that goes into getting on a judge's radar. The girl who straight up talked her way into a COA clerkship at a CLE event is an extreme example of what I'm talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

And I am the person you are responding to also. OK, I agree with what you're saying. A very small group of people can get pulled from the pile on SDNY because they are EIC of Harvard Law Review, and all they have to do is just upload to OSCAR. For everyone else, it's all about getting your application in front of the judge and even fancy judges will often deign to hire people with credentials that are widely achievable. As for Fed Soc, three of the four are not - one I can't say.

When I said "being at the right place at the right time" I didn't mean to denigrate that or make it sound like it's just luck. There is a ton of work, a ton of skill, and a ton of persistence that goes into getting on a judge's radar. The girl who straight up talked her way into a COA clerkship at a CLE event is an extreme example of what I'm talking about.
Totally - I only went so hard on that because the initial post only really discussed their academic credentials and I was trying to be candid that they would need more than academic credentials to pull this off!

Totally agree with the last point, although I think some of it is closer to "being in the right place at the right time" than persistence. Some of the things that I've seen get people pulled from the pile (like working at the CIA or in construction) are just not things you have a ton of agency in by the time you are applying haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:41 pm

I would concur. This is how people with slightly above median grades get these competitive districts while 2Ls with 3.9+'s at CCN strike out. A lot is about who you know and things are very different from OCI where each firm has 100 spots to fill in their summer class.

If you're a 2L reading this, I would recommend the following:
1) Obviously keep your grades up. A lot of judges definitely screen for grades even if some people with 3.5s are getting hired too.
2) Different judges screen for smaller things like Law Review (and board thereof), Moot Court, published note, etc. but it's impossible to meet everyone's criteria.
3) Most important: network. Professors, people you meet at your firm, externship and clinic supervisors, the whole 9 yards. All it takes is one person to put in a call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”