How badly will taking a lighter spring semester hurt my application? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
wewlad

New

How badly will taking a lighter spring semester hurt my application?

Post by wewlad » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:07 pm

I'm top 5% 2L at a top 25 law school that punches above its weight with clerkships and have good extracurriculars (journal, moot). I'm feeling pretty burnt out after last semester and really want to take a lighter semester for my own sanity. I'm strongly tempted to drop my admin law class and just take two classes (including corporations, which I've heard some judges like to see) along with my clinic and moot court competition. I definitely plan on taking admin next year along with all the other classic clerkship classes like fed courts (which wasn't offered this semester unfortunately). Realistically, is this likely to make a big impact with my application? I know it would be better to take admin and do well in it, but I'd really rather spend this semester doing more practical stuff rather than spending all my time in the library if its not going to be a big deal.

The rest of my transcript shows that I can handle rigorous courses. I've gotten an A in all of my 1L doctrinals and I booked both my civpro and conlaw 2 classes. I've also taken environmental law and gotten an A in it, which was really an applied admin law class. I'm mostly looking to clerk in the southeast, so I won't be applying to the most competitive districts.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: How badly will taking a lighter spring semester hurt my application?

Post by talons2250 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:56 pm

If you were at a T14, then I would say just take two doctrinal classes and do well in them. However, the further you go from the T14, the more perfectly perfect you need to be. This is all to say that there is a small chance that it could make a difference, but if that small chance is worth having a saner semester, then go ahead and do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm

As a clerk, if I saw a transcript with just two graded classes that would look a bit weird. Is the clinic also graded or have a component that is graded?

wewlad

New

Post by wewlad » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm
As a clerk, if I saw a transcript with just two graded classes that would look a bit weird. Is the clinic also graded or have a component that is graded?
Yes, the clinic has both a graded portion and a pass/fail portion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:59 pm

wewlad wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm
Yes, the clinic has both a graded portion and a pass/fail portion.
Ok. Honestly not ideal but I wouldn't auto ding you for it. My advice is take it and work really hard—it's only four months. If that is truly not possible, i think you can still get clerkships even if you drop it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:46 pm

Can you take a less intense class? If your school has a legal research or writing class that isn’t too much work, that would look good and be useful - some schools have judicial-opinion-writing classes, often taught by judges themselves. Agree that there’s no need to take 3 doctrinals though, especially if you’re feeling burnt out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”