How badly will taking a lighter spring semester hurt my application? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
wewlad

New

How badly will taking a lighter spring semester hurt my application?

Post by wewlad » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:56 pm

I'm top 5% at a t30 school that punches above its weight with clerkships and have good extracurriculars. I'm honestly feeling pretty burnt out after sinking so much time into school last semester and am strongly tempted to drop my admin law class and just take two classes along with doing a clinic and moot court competition. I do want to take admin next year along with some of the other classic clerkship classes like fed courts (which wasn't offered this semester unfortunately), but it'd really be nice to not take it this semester. I'm mainly just worried that dropping it and taking a less academically rigorous semester would cause judges to look down on my application. Would doing so even be a big factor one way or the other?

The rest of my transcript shows I can handle more rigorous classes. I've gotten As in all but one doctrinal so far, and I booked my conlaw 2 and civpro classes. I do plan on taking academically rigorous courses all throughout 3L, but I'd really like to have a semester where I do more practical skill stuff and spend fewer late nights in the library if it won't hurt me.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”