Adjusting to DCT clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Adjusting to DCT clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:41 pm

Hi, I'm currently in month five of a fed dct clerkship. 2022 grad, did a stint with my school's research office for about a year. I have been trying my best to make the adjustments to the workload since I started but I still receive tons of feedback. My co-clerk (who has much more experience) has been reviewing everything I do and always has hundreds of revisions. There really isn't anything substantive like spelling, grammar, bad reasoning, etc. But I still keep getting revisions on formatting the orders the way my judge wants it.

Will it ever get better? I am doing everything I can to improve--taking notes on all revisions and going over my drafts with the judge and co-clerk. but I still don't seem to get it. I just want to do a better job and not continue to disappoint my judge.

If any of you have any advice for getting the hang of it (and maybe dealing with impostor syndrome) I would love to hear it, or even if you have a similar experience. :)

Anonymous User

Re: Adjusting to DCT clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:41 pm
Hi, I'm currently in month five of a fed dct clerkship. 2022 grad, did a stint with my school's research office for about a year. I have been trying my best to make the adjustments to the workload since I started but I still receive tons of feedback. My co-clerk (who has much more experience) has been reviewing everything I do and always has hundreds of revisions. There really isn't anything substantive like spelling, grammar, bad reasoning, etc. But I still keep getting revisions on formatting the orders the way my judge wants it.

Will it ever get better? I am doing everything I can to improve--taking notes on all revisions and going over my drafts with the judge and co-clerk. but I still don't seem to get it. I just want to do a better job and not continue to disappoint my judge.

If any of you have any advice for getting the hang of it (and maybe dealing with impostor syndrome) I would love to hear it, or even if you have a similar experience. :)
Sometimes the small things are tough to catch, particularly formatting issues if you do not have a secretary as you might have in private practice. It sounds like you are good on big-picture items. I would make a checklist of things to look for. When I clerked at a district court, I had a checklist including things such as: (1) Are the parties correctly named; (2) is the et al. proper; (3) is caption spacing correct (or pleasant); (4) are footnotes in the proper font/size; (5) is there a judgment draft along with the opinion; (6) did I check each id. to ensure still accurate before submitting. These are just some examples, some more substantive and some more granular, but I found a detailed checklist helped.

Anonymous User

Re: Adjusting to DCT clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:44 am

Something else to consider is that they're fine with the work you're doing, they just like things done a certain way, and part of their process is revision. I clerked for one judge where we did at least 2-3 drafts on routine stuff and many more for complicated/significant matters. That was just their process and it wasn't b/c they thought I was doing a bad job. Certainly, over time the number/intensity of revisions probably diminished, but they were never really going to go away because that was how they rolled. I was fine with that b/c I worked in a profession involving writing and lots of revision before I went to law school, but if you've absorbed the unconscious expectation that you should be able to get things "right" instantly, it could feel sort of overwhelming/critical. To be fair, my judge was also willing to discuss/explain every single revision, which helped a lot, but again, it doesn't have to be a reflection on you/your ability.

I realize that they could be presenting these revisions to you as problems - like you haven't caught on to this yet and that's a bad thing because you should be getting this right by now - so if that's the case, ignore me. But I wanted to throw it out there that revisions and corrections aren't always a sign of you doing anything wrong, and your judge may not be disappointed. It's much easier to edit stuff that's already drafted than to start from scratch, so even if your judge decides to change things around a lot, providing the basis for that is important and helpful (even if they don't acknowledge that to you!).

If your judge (and/or co-clerk) is actively expressing disappointment, another thing to consider is whether they're reasonable. I was in a different grad program before law school and one particular prof was notorious for telling their advisees to take approach X, never Y, and then in their next meeting they'd ask, "why on earth would you do X, Y is the only appropriate thing to do in this situation." This is super frustrating and annoying but there's not too much you can do about it except, in this context at least, just let them change their mind and make the changes. Keep in mind that while there are definitely principles of good writing and a lot of people will agree on what makes good legal writing, there are also lots of ways to write and preferences can be very subjective. So you do what your judge wants b/c that's your job, not because they are the last word in writing and you are terrible.

One thing to think about in this regard is whether you're getting the same comments over and over again (in which case there are probably somethings you can/should do about addressing them), or if the comments differ a lot. If the latter, there's probably more an organic, holistic revision process going on that's going to be much harder to predict just by it's nature (not b/c you're bad at this).

One substantive thing, when you say formatting, I agree with the idea of coming up with a checklist. One thing could be to take a bunch of final orders that have all been approved and just building a template for yourself. If by formatting you also mean more like organization of the order, you can do a similar thing - what is the structure that the orders tend to follow, and set up a generic outline as a baseline for when you start. Just keep in mind that each order may require something slightly different, so be prepared to deviate.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”