Article editor on secondary journal worth it? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Article editor on secondary journal worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:59 pm

Thinking about applying for this position with a secondary journal I'm already involved in. Will the resume line make up for the time commitment? Or would I be better off taking that time and putting it into my classes?

Anonymous User

Re: Article editor on secondary journal worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:27 pm

If you want to do the Articles Editor position because you genuinely are interested in the position, then do it. If not and the only rationale is for a resume boost, then don't. It won't help that much if you do it or hurt that much if you don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:59 pm
Thinking about applying for this position with a secondary journal I'm already involved in. Will the resume line make up for the time commitment? Or would I be better off taking that time and putting it into my classes?
Matters if the journal is JLPP or similar; irrelevant otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
My judge would've liked seeing it regardless of the secondary journal, but I think it's very unlikely to be material to the application. As a clerk who flagged applications, I didn't value any secondary journals more than others. Is JLPP a fedsoc thing or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
My judge would've liked seeing it regardless of the secondary journal, but I think it's very unlikely to be material to the application. As a clerk who flagged applications, I didn't value any secondary journals more than others. Is JLPP a fedsoc thing or something?
Yeah its Harvard's conservative journal, but you are able to join it as a student from other law schools as well. Georgetown and a few other schools have something similar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:53 am

Can’t speak to conservative judges, but in doing clerk hiring for two Dem appointees (one more liberal, one pretty moderate), I don’t think editorial position on a secondary journal is something that makes much of a difference - the ones who care about academia/journal-related things will be snooty and wonder why you’re not on law review or at least EIC of your secondary, and the ones who don’t care won’t think much of it.

Caveat is that every judge is different and perhaps there are judges who really value being on the editorial board of a secondary vs. just being a staff member. My guess is that there aren’t enough of those judges to be worth the extra work that comes with being an articles editor, so I’d personally only do it if you don’t mind the work itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”