Pass/Fail for non-BLL class Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Pass/Fail for non-BLL class

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:09 am

I'm hoping to get the thoughts of some current clerks who review applications. I wouldn't P/F any doctrinals because I assume chambers would think the grade was a B+ or below and be frowned upon. Would you give similar scrutiny to P/F-ing an elective history class? My issue is I have particular hard exam schedule with BLL classes this semester and my history elective which was supposedly not curved, is now curved with a bunch of history PhDs. I'd like to save my gpa and P it since I don't think a judge would view it as an important class, but I wanted to confirm whether P/F of an elective is viewed very negatively, like P/F-ing a BLL.

Anonymous User

Re: Pass/Fail for non-BLL class

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:09 am
I'm hoping to get the thoughts of some current clerks who review applications. I wouldn't P/F any doctrinals because I assume chambers would think the grade was a B+ or below and be frowned upon. Would you give similar scrutiny to P/F-ing an elective history class? My issue is I have particular hard exam schedule with BLL classes this semester and my history elective which was supposedly not curved, is now curved with a bunch of history PhDs. I'd like to save my gpa and P it since I don't think a judge would view it as an important class, but I wanted to confirm whether P/F of an elective is viewed very negatively, like P/F-ing a BLL.
It's always hard to know what weird classes are automatically credit/fail or graded, so I wouldn't give it a second look. Depends on how many clerks come from your school and whether they would see it is bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:54 pm

(Assuming not COVID related) Honestly as a current clerk I'd prob give it a minor ding if a non-BLL class. If a BLL class it may be enough to move you out of the pile. I just have too many great candidates to sift through. I can definitely see situations though where an otherwise great transcript would overcome it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:48 am

OP, how is the course listed on your transcript? If it's something like "HIST 109: The Warring States Period of Ancient China," I personally wouldn't hold it against you at all. If it's a history course you're taking because it's cross-listed with law and it shows up as something like "LAW 708: American Constitutional History," it starts to be a bit of a problem, though nothing an otherwise strong transcript can't make up for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:48 am
OP, how is the course listed on your transcript? If it's something like "HIST 109: The Warring States Period of Ancient China," I personally wouldn't hold it against you at all. If it's a history course you're taking because it's cross-listed with law and it shows up as something like "LAW 708: American Constitutional History," it starts to be a bit of a problem, though nothing an otherwise strong transcript can't make up for.
OP here. Good question! It's cross-listed with law and is about American legal history throughout the colonial era. I agree that looks worse than a totally separate class. I've just had some personal issues stack up and distributed more time to studying for my doctrinals than that class. But we'll see, maybe a pass is not needed at all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”