2023-2024 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2023-2024 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm

A few data points
-dinged by susman within days of applying
-dinged by Bartlit quickly

Invited to interview
-PW DC
-Quinn NY

Silence
-Kellogg (been ~month)
-Kramer DC (been 3 weeks)
-Skadden DC (I filled out their employment form they sent after my email but no human contact)
-w&c
-wlrk (after sending email they asked me to fill out their application form)
-HH
-Selendy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:58 pm
Any movement with Arnold and Porter? The January posting was taken down.
Replying to my own question. Just got rejected for Boston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Also just got rejected for the LA office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not surprised that I got rejected. Magistrate clerkship, 3.2 gpa at t30, one year biglaw non staff but non associate level experience at v70

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not surprised that I got rejected. Magistrate clerkship, 3.2 gpa at t30, one year biglaw non staff but non associate level experience at v70
Did you all apply online? I applied by email (must have been before the post went up). Haven’t heard anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you all apply online? I applied by email (must have been before the post went up). Haven’t heard anything.
Applied January 8 to "litigation associate with judicial clerkship experience - Junior to Mid-Level "

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:20 pm
I have seen a lot of people warning against Kaplan Hecker, but I haven’t seen many concrete reasons (other than Robbie Kaplan is potentially difficult to work with or otherwise problematic, but these too aren’t specific). Is there anything more specific that people can speak on?
The warnings are worth listening to. Robbie Kaplan herself is definitely quite difficult, but the issues go way beyond that. Many people at the firm are incredibly abusive and deceitful, hours can be incredibly challening, the associates are very catty and overly competitive, some of the political / impact stuff can get really sketchy (like in terms of client relationships, ethics etc -- I'm assuming anyone seriously considering KHF knows the general politics of the firm). I guess the way I'd put it is imagine a firm full of like ACS e-board types who act like they're still in law school running for ACS president, or competing for law review etc. It's just a very challenging and immature environment for a law firm. And Robbie Kaplan herself, well ... most of the stories are true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:47 pm

Ding from Quinn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:15 pm

I know it's early in the process, but I'm feeling absolutely defeated. I'm targeting DC and so far I've been dinged at: McDermott, PW, Arnold & Porter, and W&C. Otherwise ghosted.

I have friends at some of those firms who pulled for me and still nothing. Thought something could be wrong with my app materials but I had several trusted friends and advisors review them. Guess there's not much left to do but continue to network and hope for the best.

Stats:
T-20; 3.85 GPA; Order of the Coif; Order of Barristers
D. Ct. clerkship, SSC clerkship, and current Cir. clerkship with a well-respected judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:15 pm
I know it's early in the process, but I'm feeling absolutely defeated. I'm targeting DC and so far I've been dinged at: McDermott, PW, Arnold & Porter, and W&C. Otherwise ghosted.

I have friends at some of those firms who pulled for me and still nothing. Thought something could be wrong with my app materials but I had several trusted friends and advisors review them. Guess there's not much left to do but continue to network and hope for the best.

Stats:
D. Ct. clerkship, SSC clerkship, and current Cir. clerkship with a well-respected judge.
Wow. This is ridiculous. You should have received multiple interview offers with those credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
Wow. This is ridiculous. You should have received multiple interview offers with those credentials.
And like most on here was on exec board on our flagship L. Rev. and published. I thought I'd at least be competitive, but guess I gotta be patient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
And like most on here was on exec board on our flagship L. Rev. and published. I thought I'd at least be competitive, but guess I gotta be patient.
Do you have prior biglaw experience, even as a summer? I'm no expert, but I can see firms thinking that you will be very expensive to hire since you have at least two class years of credit, without much big law experience. Those firms also might expect you to go to a boutique or even more prestigious firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
Do you have prior biglaw experience, even as a summer? I'm no expert, but I can see firms thinking that you will be very expensive to hire since you have at least two class years of credit, without much big law experience. Those firms also might expect you to go to a boutique or even more prestigious firm.
This is what I’m thinking is going on. But yes, summered at a big law firm in a different market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
This is what I’m thinking is going on. But yes, summered at a big law firm in a different market.
If you don't have it on your resume already, I would suggest indicating that you received an offer from your summer firm (if you did in fact receive an offer).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
If you don't have it on your resume already, I would suggest indicating that you received an offer from your summer firm (if you did in fact receive an offer).
I did and yup it’s on there. Debating whether to indicate that I’d accept lower class credit but don't want to sell myself short.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
I did and yup it’s on there. Debating whether to indicate that I’d accept lower class credit but don't want to sell myself short.
Was told by multiple friends at different firms that this was a big concern for some firms where I applied. It sucks because the reason I’m so senior is because of two clerkships… I thought two clerkships (D. Ct. and CoA) was supposed to be a plus.

How would you indicate you’d be willing to take lower class credit to a firm who hasn’t responded to your application? Or would that be a conversation for the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:22 am

Dinged by Williams and Connolly.
Applied about a month ago and interviewed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm
A few data points

Invited to interview
-PW DC
-Quinn NY

Silence
-Kellogg (been ~month)
-Skadden DC (I filled out their employment form they sent after my email but no human contact)
-w&c
-HH
-Selendy
Sorry to hear about the dings and silence :/

When you applied to Bartlit Beck, did you do so by just sending an email to Cindy?
I found it strange there was no employment application portal. Just saw instructions to reach out to her.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:08 pm
Fwiw my understanding is that the Susman offices largely run separate hiring processes.
This is correct to an extent. Each office chooses who they want to interview and who they want to put up for a vote. But interviews and votes are conducted across all four offices--i.e. a candidate for Seattle will get an interview from the Seattle office and will be put up for a vote by the Seattle office, but will be interviewed by attorneys in all four offices, and all four offices vote on his/her candidacy.
Wow that sounds like it takes forever then? lol
Not at all. We're still interviewing everybody remotely. Folks from each office participate in the interviewing process, but its not four separate full-day interviews.
Oh I see, I thought you meant that everyone in the firm across four offices was voting on these people rather than just the interviewers
Everyone at the firm votes on whether to give an offer--from the Managing Partners down to the newest associate--but the vote is done based on feedback from the interviewers.
Do you have a sense for how many (or what percentage) of spots remain for each office? Is it too late to apply at this point?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:00 pm
A few data points

Invited to interview
-PW DC
-Quinn NY

Silence
-Kellogg (been ~month)
-w&c
-HH
-Selendy
If you don't mind sharing, when did you apply to Quinn and when were you invited to interview? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:08 pm
Fwiw my understanding is that the Susman offices largely run separate hiring processes.
This is correct to an extent. Each office chooses who they want to interview and who they want to put up for a vote. But interviews and votes are conducted across all four offices--i.e. a candidate for Seattle will get an interview from the Seattle office and will be put up for a vote by the Seattle office, but will be interviewed by attorneys in all four offices, and all four offices vote on his/her candidacy.
Not at all. We're still interviewing everybody remotely. Folks from each office participate in the interviewing process, but its not four separate full-day interviews.
Oh I see, I thought you meant that everyone in the firm across four offices was voting on these people rather than just the interviewers
Everyone at the firm votes on whether to give an offer--from the Managing Partners down to the newest associate--but the vote is done based on feedback from the interviewers.
Do you have a sense for how many (or what percentage) of spots remain for each office? Is it too late to apply at this point?
I don't know specifics (i'm not on the employment committee), but I do know that we're still actively interviewing. If you're interested in applying for Fall 2024 I would do so ASAP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know specifics (i'm not on the employment committee), but I do know that we're still actively interviewing. If you're interested in applying for Fall 2024 I would do so ASAP.
Any chance you have any insight into timeline? Like how quickly does SG move?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any chance you have any insight into timeline? Like how quickly does SG move?

two - three weeks at some SG offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
This really is ridiculous. I'm getting passed up by these firms too, but my stats are nowhere as awesome as yours (low GPA and regional school). Honestly assumed interviews and screeners were going to candidates like you. Really goes to show how bad this market is. Why is it so incredibly difficult to get any bites this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats:
This really is ridiculous. I'm getting passed up by these firms too, but my stats are nowhere as awesome as yours (low GPA and regional school). Honestly assumed interviews and screeners were going to candidates like you. Really goes to show how bad this market is. Why is it so incredibly difficult to get any bites this year?
Got dinged from another firm today where my D. Ct. judge worked and has friends who are partners there. My judge called to recommend me and they told my judge that people in our positions are considered "too expensive" to hire--at least this year.

I'm not sure how to relay to firms I've already applied to that I'm flexible on class year credit. But I think for new applications I may add something to my cover letter. Blows my mind though. I was told that multiple clerkships are beloved by firms and I guess that's not the full story in today's market. Fingers crossed for you. Just keep plugging away. I had a friend go through a similar situation last year and only got one interview. But that's all he needed as he is now making an ungodly amount of money at that firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”