Anyone have an experience with bad co-clerks, but great judge? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Anyone have an experience with bad co-clerks, but great judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:40 pm

Hearing this is pretty common.

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone have an experience with bad co-clerks, but great judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:40 pm
Hearing this is pretty common.
Are the bad co-clerks in the room with us?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:21 pm

Yes, I have heard of this happening. The reverse (bad judge, good co-clerks) is more common though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:53 pm

Sort of. I worked with a career clerk with an, umm, unique personality and everyone in chambers had worked together for at least 10 years and there were some significant personality conflicts that developed over that time. So at times it was definitely kind of awkward/eggshell-y. Thankfully nothing bad was really directed at me - I think the term clerk was seen as a neutral party - and sometimes it was entertaining, though just as often it was uncomfortable. Also everyone in chambers was very good at their jobs, the tensions were purely personal, so when in doubt we could all fall back on work and things would ease up.

The judge hated having to deal with any of this, so didn't unless they had to, and tbf the staff tried to keep any tensions away from the judge. They did have to arbitrate one blow up while I was there though.

So thankfully, not any of the classic bad experiences where you have a co-clerk or clerks who are mean, rude, condescending, needy, just plain bad at the work, or some combo of the above. Nor did I ever have to go to the judge to get help with dealing with any of it, which some people have grappled with. Just a little more than your run of the mill office conflicts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:21 am

My judge was wonderful: they have a reputation for being incredibly kind. My co-clerk gave me the silent treatment for months at a time, lied and manipulated, avoided work they didn’t want to do (bluebook), and took credit for projects I started or had to maintain once they no longer thought it served them—a true covert narcissist. It was torture, and I was suicidal the whole year and regret clerking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”