Recommendation letters Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Recommendation letters

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:38 am

what things can I do in order to set myself up to get good rec letters from profs, especially given that most clerkships require three letters? rising 2L

throwawayt14

New

Re: Recommendation letters

Post by throwawayt14 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:38 am
what things can I do in order to set myself up to get good rec letters from profs, especially given that most clerkships require three letters? rising 2L
You may find it surprising that merely doing the bare minimum, such as attending classes regularly, actively participating, occasionally visiting office hours to ask thoughtful questions, and earning a good grade, already sets you apart from more than 99% of your peers. While becoming involved in a professor's research or teaching activities can lead to an outstanding recommendation letter, achieving the latter is accomplished by doing the bare minimum beforehand.

Anonymous User

Re: Recommendation letters

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:02 pm

I agree with the above. Basically, excel in any of RAing for the prof, TAing for the prof, doing an independent research project with the prof, or taking a small writing-focused seminar with the prof, and you can get an excellent LOR from them. But even going to class, paying attention and participating, and getting an excellent grade can get you an extremely good letter, especially if you go to office hours a few times and show interest/thoughtfulness.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”