Transfer student wanting to clerk Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Transfer student wanting to clerk

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:34 am

Hello,

I at transferring from a T30 to a MVP. I am transferring in hopes of clerking. I do not want to clerk right after school, so not going to follow the plan. I hope to clerk 2-3 years down the line. I am open to most geographical locations. Will prefer to clerk at a COA but willing to do district courts.

My current school has a really bad clerkship program maybe 3% (I am far from 3%), although we do get a lot of people into BL. Should I not transfer if I want to clerk? Do I have a shot at clerking? Any suggestions to maximize my chances will be great.

Thank you

Anonymous User

Re: Transfer student wanting to clerk

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:52 am

Bad idea. Only one of those schools great for clerkships is UVA and they don't take transfers. Go visit the Penn Clerkships thread. Many students who get COA here get it because of a certain faculty member's placement (very limited reach to only a few judges), federalist society (Porter, Hardiman, Bibas, Matey on 3), or the student's own personal/family connection. There are of course others that get COA, but it's not chiefly because of school/faculty support. School doesn't help much with district either and the main thing that will get you those is work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am

Penn anon, what about people who clerk a few years down the line (or who aren't looking to stay in the northeast)? Also, you may be pissed about P's clerkship placement, but 10.3% is quite a bit more than 3%, so you may think it sucks AND it can still be an improvement over the OP's current school.

That said, OP, you do have to think carefully about what you want, and recognize that transferring isn't going to let you waltz into a clerkship with ease. I do think having a different school name on your resume could help with a clerking application down the road, though it's very hard to quantify how much. But think about whether that improved chance is really worth it. It's not clear what your current grades/rank are (except not top 3%), so it seems like you're not high enough up in your current school to be comfortably competitive out of that school (sometimes you get someone who's like the #1 or 2 student at their school considering a transfer, but they will probably be competitive for a clerkship out of their current school if it's a T30 and it's not always worth risking that). What if you go to Penn and end up median? How will you feel about that? What are you currently paying for your degree? Would Penn cost more? How much more do you want to spend? What relationships do you currently have with which professors, and are you comfortable building new relationships in 2 years elsewhere? Have you talked to the clerkship office and/or professors who clerked (preferably recently hired ones) at your current school to get a better sense of what's realistic coming from there? How about OCI/permanent employment - what difference do you think a transfer would make?

There are ways to improve your shot at clerking if you don't come from a traditional clerking powerhouse, primarily 1) work a couple of years and then apply (though probably best for DCt); 2) do multiple clerkships, starting with the best one you can get and working your way up; 3) apply very broadly, and 4) (sort of counter to #3) really develop and work connections (often but not exclusively through your school). I went to a very-not-powerhouse school (our federal clerkship rate immediately post-grad is worse than yours), but do know multiple people who did federal clerkships, including COA, after clerking elsewhere first (including in state clerkships), usually in the same/similar jurisdiction where they started (judicial networks are particularly strong locally).

If transferring isn't going to change your cost of attendance at all and you'd be interested in transferring even if you don't get a clerkship, I doubt it would be a bad move. If it's going to cost you more and your only reason for wanting to move is to clerk (especially for COA), it's a much closer call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am
Penn anon, what about people who clerk a few years down the line (or who aren't looking to stay in the northeast)? Also, you may be pissed about P's clerkship placement, but 10.3% is quite a bit more than 3%, so you may think it sucks AND it can still be an improvement over the OP's current school.

That said, OP, you do have to think carefully about what you want, and recognize that transferring isn't going to let you waltz into a clerkship with ease. I do think having a different school name on your resume could help with a clerking application down the road, though it's very hard to quantify how much. But think about whether that improved chance is really worth it. It's not clear what your current grades/rank are (except not top 3%), so it seems like you're not high enough up in your current school to be comfortably competitive out of that school (sometimes you get someone who's like the #1 or 2 student at their school considering a transfer, but they will probably be competitive for a clerkship out of their current school if it's a T30 and it's not always worth risking that). What if you go to Penn and end up median? How will you feel about that? What are you currently paying for your degree? Would Penn cost more? How much more do you want to spend? What relationships do you currently have with which professors, and are you comfortable building new relationships in 2 years elsewhere? Have you talked to the clerkship office and/or professors who clerked (preferably recently hired ones) at your current school to get a better sense of what's realistic coming from there? How about OCI/permanent employment - what difference do you think a transfer would make?

There are ways to improve your shot at clerking if you don't come from a traditional clerking powerhouse, primarily 1) work a couple of years and then apply (though probably best for DCt); 2) do multiple clerkships, starting with the best one you can get and working your way up; 3) apply very broadly, and 4) (sort of counter to #3) really develop and work connections (often but not exclusively through your school). I went to a very-not-powerhouse school (our federal clerkship rate immediately post-grad is worse than yours), but do know multiple people who did federal clerkships, including COA, after clerking elsewhere first (including in state clerkships), usually in the same/similar jurisdiction where they started (judicial networks are particularly strong locally).

If transferring isn't going to change your cost of attendance at all and you'd be interested in transferring even if you don't get a clerkship, I doubt it would be a bad move. If it's going to cost you more and your only reason for wanting to move is to clerk (especially for COA), it's a much closer call.
I’m not pissed. It’s just not amazing enough for clerkships to justify a transfer. Transferring makes the process more difficult in some ways such as getting strong recommendation letters as you outlined. It would be different if OP was considering transferring to a clerkship powerhouse HYSC. I think clerkship odds alone are not usually a reason to transfer especially outside HYSC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:52 am
Bad idea. Only one of those schools great for clerkships is UVA and they don't take transfers. Go visit the Penn Clerkships thread. Many students who get COA here get it because of a certain faculty member's placement (very limited reach to only a few judges), federalist society (Porter, Hardiman, Bibas, Matey on 3), or the student's own personal/family connection. There are of course others that get COA, but it's not chiefly because of school/faculty support. School doesn't help much with district either and the main thing that will get you those is work experience.
Well what if my goal is to get a district court clerkship? Also, if I am fedsoc does that change anything? I am not active in my current law school chapter as its pretty much a joke and the speakers are less than impressive. I plan on getting more involved. Also, I am not on LR in my current school ( had personal reasons during write on that my school refused to accommodate) so what if I were to make LR in my transfer school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:24 am

OP, I wouldn't recommend it. You're much better off staying at your T-30 and grinding your way to the number 1 student and EiC of LR in your class. Then, if you school is worth any salt at all, they will throw all their weight behind you for a competitive COA.

If you transfer, many schools won't allow transfer students to accumulate enough credits to qualify for latin honors, which is a pre-requisite for any competitive clerkship. It'll also be difficult for you to get LR leadership, as you'll have 1 less year of a network.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:40 am

I’m not pissed. It’s just not amazing enough for clerkships to justify a transfer. Transferring makes the process more difficult in some ways such as getting strong recommendation letters as you outlined. It would be different if OP was considering transferring to a clerkship powerhouse HYSC. I think clerkship odds alone are not usually a reason to transfer especially outside HYSC.
Fair enough, I retract my comment. There are a lot of unhappy people on the Penn threads so I jumped to conclusions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:24 am
OP, I wouldn't recommend it. You're much better off staying at your T-30 and grinding your way to the number 1 student and EiC of LR in your class. Then, if you school is worth any salt at all, they will throw all their weight behind you for a competitive COA.

If you transfer, many schools won't allow transfer students to accumulate enough credits to qualify for latin honors, which is a pre-requisite for any competitive clerkship. It'll also be difficult for you to get LR leadership, as you'll have 1 less year of a network.
Penn does allow for honors/coif for transfer students and LR leadership would be possible, since most of the 2Ls are newly building the necessary relationships with the Board over their 2L year.

However, I agree with the general advice in this thread - if you are transferring only for the possibility of a clerkship, it's a pretty expensive gamble to take. I'm generally of the opinion that if you're willing to grind at MVP you can get a clerkship eventually, especially if you're willing to be flexible about location/clerkship type/judge/timing, but I don't know that I would be willing to accumulate 6 figures of debt on that gamble.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I do not think there is a way for me to get to number 1 and I did not make LR. Wouldn’t being on LR help at MVP help rather than hurt?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

There are definitely shortcomings around clerking as a transfer, but AFAIK, every single T14 allows transfers to graduate coif/latin unless they willfully neglect to take classes at the law school.

The other points are totally fair - it's super hard to build professor relationships, LR is much harder to get onto as a transfer, and judges also have a bit of an anti-transfer bias in hiring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I do not think there is a way for me to get to number 1 and I did not make LR. Wouldn’t being on LR help at MVP help rather than hurt?
Ah, in that case, yeah I would recommend transferring since the path at your current school is effectively shut out. Succeeding at a different school especially as a transfer will be difficult, but at least that path is still open. Best of luck!

Side note regarding Latin Honors, I know at my school, yes it's theoretically possible. But the amount of credits you would have to take in 2 years that other people have 3 years to take is very difficult. Not to mention you have to actually do well in those classes too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Penn does allow for honors/coif for transfer students and LR leadership would be possible, since most of the 2Ls are newly building the necessary relationships with the Board over their 2L year.

However, I agree with the general advice in this thread - if you are transferring only for the possibility of a clerkship, it's a pretty expensive gamble to take. I'm generally of the opinion that if you're willing to grind at MVP you can get a clerkship eventually, especially if you're willing to be flexible about location/clerkship type/judge/timing, but I don't know that I would be willing to accumulate 6 figures of debt on that gamble.
I just do not think there is anyway I can clerk at my current school for the judges I want to clerk for. I am fedsoc and my schools fedsoc is kind of a joke.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah, in that case, yeah I would recommend transferring since the path at your current school is effectively shut out. Succeeding at a different school especially as a transfer will be difficult, but at least that path is still open. Best of luck!

Side note regarding Latin Honors, I know at my school, yes it's theoretically possible. But the amount of credits you would have to take in 2 years that other people have 3 years to take is very difficult. Not to mention you have to actually do well in those classes too.
Do you attend one of the MVPs? Have you seen transfers land clerkships at your school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just do not think there is anyway I can clerk at my current school for the judges I want to clerk for. I am fedsoc and my schools fedsoc is kind of a joke.
Conservative judges don't give a crap about LR leadership anymore. Get on Fed Soc Leadership for 3L and crush your 2L grades. You will be in good shape applying for off-plan clerkships as a 3L if you can do that. You don't really get a bump for just being in Fed Soc though, you need to be on the Board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Conservative judges don't give a crap about LR leadership anymore. Get on Fed Soc Leadership for 3L and crush your 2L grades. You will be in good shape applying for off-plan clerkships as a 3L if you can do that. You don't really get a bump for just being in Fed Soc though, you need to be on the Board.
Disagree on this about FedSoc. E-board def helps with the signalling but the main advantage at my school was getting access to the FedSoc network/application infrastructure, which could be accessed if you paid dues and had a resume that said FedSoc on it, even if it was otherwise politically neutral

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Disagree on this about FedSoc. E-board def helps with the signalling but the main advantage at my school was getting access to the FedSoc network/application infrastructure, which could be accessed if you paid dues and had a resume that said FedSoc on it, even if it was otherwise politically neutral
Agree with the disagreement. I have friends who got major advantages from fedsoc network but kept it discreet at the law school and took it off their resume for non clerk purposes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agree with the disagreement. I have friends who got major advantages from fedsoc network but kept it discreet at the law school and took it off their resume for non clerk purposes.
I’m saying that it’s not going to be helpful for a 2L transfer at P or M to just be in “in Fed Soc” unless this person is a very good proactive networker. I was in Fed Soc at one of these schools recently and I know that neither have particularly good networks that are actually helpful to random 2L members. Virginia is a bit of a different story. But if you are just on board at M or P with decent grades you will be competitive for a COA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I’m saying that it’s not going to be helpful for a 2L transfer at P or M to just be in “in Fed Soc” unless this person is a very good proactive networker. I was in Fed Soc at one of these schools recently and I know that neither have particularly good networks that are actually helpful to random 2L members. Virginia is a bit of a different story. But if you are just on board at M or P with decent grades you will be competitive for a COA.
I think it depends on who is in the club with you. One of the current presidents of fedsoc at my school (P or M) is extremely well connected himself and seems to help other people out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Experience as a HYSC transfer - if you were a transfer with fedsoc on your resume, you were near guaranteed an appellate (but not feeder) clerkship, likely before you even got your first round of grades from the transferee school. Bonus points if you went to a prestigious undergrad or had conservative bona fides, but neither were necessary

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:40 pm
Experience as a HYSC transfer - if you were a transfer with fedsoc on your resume, you were near guaranteed an appellate (but not feeder) clerkship, likely before you even got your first round of grades from the transferee school. Bonus points if you went to a prestigious undergrad or had conservative bona fides, but neither were necessary
OP is not going to be at HYSC and it’s not the same at Penn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fair, was more speaking towards the general "how much fedsoc is enough fedsoc" debate people seemed to be having

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fair, was more speaking towards the general "how much fedsoc is enough fedsoc" debate people seemed to be having
I also think you are spot on. Just being in Fed Soc and having access to the network at HYSC is significantly different than it is at the rest of the T14 with the exception of Virginia probably. It’s really not that helpful or much of a boost at the other schools unless you are actually on the Board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 pm

So if I get on fedsoc board, LR, and do well its worth it to transfer to a MVP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 pm
If you get on Fed Soc board and get good grades during 2L (which isn’t that hard to do) you will have a good chance of getting a COA clerkship if you apply off plan during 3L. I am telling you that LR is not relevant for most conservative judges. My judge didn’t even have it in the initial filtering criteria that the clerks did. Several of my friends who clerked for conservative COA judges have told me the same thing. The selection process is a joke at most of the top schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 pm
If you get on Fed Soc board and get good grades during 2L (which isn’t that hard to do) you will have a good chance of getting a COA clerkship if you apply off plan during 3L. I am telling you that LR is not relevant for most conservative judges. My judge didn’t even have it in the initial filtering criteria that the clerks did. Several of my friends who clerked for conservative COA judges have told me the same thing. The selection process is a joke at most of the top schools.
What about a journal? Should I do any journal or no journal at all?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”