Penn Clerkship Discussion/Movement Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Penn Clerkship Discussion/Movement

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:24 pm

It's refreshing to see middle-of-the-road voices here as opposed to the radical leftist law school echo chamber.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:24 pm
It's refreshing to see middle-of-the-road voices here as opposed to the radical leftist law school echo chamber.
I’m left-of-center but even I’m unhappy with the excess of DEI in law school. It’s so beyond what I experienced in college at another elite school, but maybe it’s just a law school/firm thing that there’s always a diversity set-aside. I’d never share that opinion offline, though. I think a lot of liberals quietly agree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:15 am
I don't think it's an issue of faculty not being connected as much as an issue of laziness and not caring about the students.

Fairfax was KBJ's roommate, but when asked by a student for advice on getting a clerkship with her, Fairfax demurred and said she didn't want to use favors or something to that effect.
This post reeks of entitlement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think it's an issue of faculty not being connected as much as an issue of laziness and not caring about the students.

Fairfax was KBJ's roommate, but when asked by a student for advice on getting a clerkship with her, Fairfax demurred and said she didn't want to use favors or something to that effect.
This post reeks of entitlement.
Lol yeah. This is an absurd complaint. Profs should absolutely preserve their credibility with SCOTUS justices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm

Maybe the student was just asking for advice on how to get hired by KBJ rather than "call her for me now and get me a SCOTUS clerkship lined up for 2025!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm
Maybe the student was just asking for advice on how to get hired by KBJ rather than "call her for me now and get me a SCOTUS clerkship lined up for 2025!"
Even that is inappropriate. Focus on getting good grades and maybe come back to Fairfax when you already have an elite circuit court clerkship. They’re close *personal* friends, it’s well within her right to refuse to sully that, especially before someone is a credible candidate. So entitled to call that “lazy.” The only scenario where I’d understand criticism is one where a student already had an interview with KBJ and Fairfax declined to speak with the student. Even then, I’d understand her desire to protect her personal friendships. This isn’t like Yoo or someone else who has *professional* connections to people in that world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:36 pm

What does Yoo do for applicants?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:36 pm
Very little

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:36 pm
Previous poster here. He just comes to mind as someone who knows people around SCOTUS (worked with Roberts, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:07 pm

How does someone become a Littleton? Is it hard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The faculty as a whole is objectively far less connected than most of the schools who clean up on clerkships. HYS and Chicago are leagues ahead. The absence of a high-end appellate clinic also really hurts the elite clerkship applicants from Penn. A Supreme Court clinic is something Penn should be prioritizing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

The faculty as a whole is objectively far less connected than most of the schools who clean up on clerkships. HYS and Chicago are leagues ahead. The absence of a high-end appellate clinic also really hurts the elite clerkship applicants from Penn. A Supreme Court clinic is something Penn should be prioritizing.
Harvard and Yale have the best students and Chicago is alone out of the top schools in not treating 6/9 of the justices like lepers and actually hires professors those justices trust.

Given that UPenn is absolutely not moving in a direction that would enable any type of feeding to them, they are always going to struggle, Supreme Court clinic or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:29 am

But is the faculty connected with anyone outside of CA3? It's the same issue with New York clerkships.

Imo, clerking should be a near-prereq for hiring. I don't get how the school is literally hiring non-lawyers to teach core classes over people with major clerkships on CA2/9/SDNY/ND Cal/EDVA/DDC/CADC who can help place students beyond EDPA and flyover districts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:07 pm
There's an application process in the beginning of the spring of your 2L year. IIRC, application consists of a writing sample (think motion for summary judgment) and an interview process. I think the vast majority of folks who apply get it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
There's an application process in the beginning of the spring of your 2L year. IIRC, application consists of a writing sample (think motion for summary judgment) and an interview process. I think the vast majority of folks who apply get it.
Probably bad use of time if trying to optimize for clerkships. It’s ungraded and arguably more work than the credits indicate. Better to rack up A’s in doctrinals

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Plenty of ‘24 students were rejected. Process seems random, though. You interview with LPS faculty and current Littletons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:29 am
But is the faculty connected with anyone outside of CA3? It's the same issue with New York clerkships.

Imo, clerking should be a near-prereq for hiring. I don't get how the school is literally hiring non-lawyers to teach core classes over people with major clerkships on CA2/9/SDNY/ND Cal/EDVA/DDC/CADC who can help place students beyond EDPA and flyover districts.
True. Maybe I’m just old school but I hate that we have non-lawyers (and those who view law as their secondary terminal degree vs their PhD) teaching major classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Probably bad use of time if trying to optimize for clerkships. It’s ungraded and arguably more work than the credits indicate. Better to rack up A’s in doctrinals
Well known that it's just Jessica Simon's choice at the end of the day, and she just screens for LPS honors and general grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:19 am

Anyone else disappointed about the fall class offerings? Fed courts hasn't been offered in two semesters now, and they only added one evidence section with a retired adjunct as an afterthought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:19 am
Anyone else disappointed about the fall class offerings? Fed courts hasn't been offered in two semesters now, and they only added one evidence section with a retired adjunct as an afterthought.
Consider corps and antitrust

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I’m still mad they have Amy Wax teach the only section of remedies

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
And the curve is apparently brutal haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
And the curve is apparently brutal haha
Wait seriously???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:16 pm

What % of Penn students try to clerk? We have a large transactional contingency, so is it 20% of students gunning for it? Higher? Lower?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:17 pm

How were Mayson and/or Ferzan for evidence last year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”