Penn Clerkship Discussion/Movement Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Penn Clerkship Discussion/Movement

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:16 pm
What % of Penn students try to clerk? We have a large transactional contingency, so is it 20% of students gunning for it? Higher? Lower?
Definitely higher

I also wonder how many transactional students chose that path because OCS pushed them toward it/they knew OCI would be much easier

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:16 pm
What % of Penn students try to clerk? We have a large transactional contingency, so is it 20% of students gunning for it? Higher? Lower?
Most lit students are interested in clerking unless they decide they don’t have the grades IMO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:19 am
Anyone else disappointed about the fall class offerings? Fed courts hasn't been offered in two semesters now, and they only added one evidence section with a retired adjunct as an afterthought.
I’m still mad they have Amy Wax teach the only section of remedies
And the curve is apparently brutal haha
Wait seriously???
I heard all B’s!!! Ruthless

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:49 pm

I want to caution the rising 2Ls reading this not to count themselves out of the clerkship process because of grades. And not because the Clerkship Advisor claims you can get a clerkship anywhere, such as a trial court in Alaska or South Dakota. Plenty of median-ish people got clerkships in c/o 2024 - and plenty of top students struck out entirely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:11 pm
Which judges are Wax sympathizers?
Half of the Republican circuit appointees. Maybe more

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:10 pm

How do I get a clerkship with Bibas? I just take his classes (signed up for his fall PR class) and approach him or he approaches me? What grades are needed? how about Scirica?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:49 pm
I want to caution the rising 2Ls reading this not to count themselves out of the clerkship process because of grades. And not because the Clerkship Advisor claims you can get a clerkship anywhere, such as a trial court in Alaska or South Dakota. Plenty of median-ish people got clerkships in c/o 2024 - and plenty of top students struck out entirely.
What’s median at 2L spring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:10 pm
How do I get a clerkship with Bibas? I just take his classes (signed up for his fall PR class) and approach him or he approaches me? What grades are needed? how about Scirica?
Pretty sure he hired his ‘24 students during their 1L summers so you’re probably too late for Bibas. Scirica hires from his seminar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:17 pm
How were Mayson and/or Ferzan for evidence last year
People loved Ferzan. Mayson is less experienced in teaching evidence so not as beloved but still very good. Personally I’d take either over the current two professors slated to teach it this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:05 am
Which recent Penn faculty hires are diversity-based?
Fairfax, McClellan, and most recently Kate Shaw, who runs that embarrassing podcast

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fairfax, McClellan, and most recently Kate Shaw, who runs that embarrassing podcast
Lol at the idea that someone who clerked on the Supreme Court and worked in the white house counsel’s office teaching con law is a diversity hire. Someone from fedsoc unhappy we’re not hiring more men with Econ PhDs and zero practical experience to teach 1L core classes?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol Kate Shaw, who was first in her class at Northwestern and clerked for Stevens, is a diversity hire?

And the two other professors you named are also very qualified for the roles they were hired for. Experienced practitioners teaching classes in their practice areas is exactly what you would want from a professor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Fairfax was a terrible professor for contracts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:33 pm

Ridiculous to lump Kate Shaw into that group. McClellan is very qualified for her position, but the decision to create the ARC clinic in the first place was clearly motivated by DEI concerns above all else. We really just need a more general federal litigation clinic, not one catering so heavily the movement lawyering types. Especially now that the appellate advocacy clinic is gone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:33 pm
Ridiculous to lump Kate Shaw into that group. McClellan is very qualified for her position, but the decision to create the ARC clinic in the first place was clearly motivated by DEI concerns above all else. We really just need a more general federal litigation clinic, not one catering so heavily the movement lawyering types. Especially now that the appellate advocacy clinic is gone.
i am op - shaw is of course not like the others but does not have a significant body of work, mostly blog pieces. I can't imagine her being hired without that silly podcast and her celebrity connections, and I certainly can't imagine the university hiring someone with those credentials on the right if they ran a podcast like that. Agree with the clinic comments tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
i am op - shaw is of course not like the others but does not have a significant body of work, mostly blog pieces. I can't imagine her being hired without that silly podcast and her celebrity connections, and I certainly can't imagine the university hiring someone with those credentials on the right if they ran a podcast like that. Agree with the clinic comments tho
Personally I couldn’t care less about a professor’s body of academic work and would take a professor with actual work experience ten times out of ten. Too many professors with PhDs who haven’t ever practiced law (or in the case of Heaton, can’t!). Or professors like Wolff who are still drawing on anecdotes from their single year of practice. But I’m sure he writes some nice articles read by maybe three other law professors

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
She's a visiting professor at Penn, isn't she? She's been a professor at Cardozo for over a decade, which predates Strict Scrutiny. Yes, the school wouldn't have hired someone with those credentials on the right if they had a similar podcast, but I doubt you'd be out here claiming they didn't deserve the job if they did get hired

I think this is a silly conversation, but again, the idea that someone who clerked for Posner and Stevens and has a number of published papers wouldn't get a professor job without a podcast is pretty ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
She's a visiting professor at Penn, isn't she? She's been a professor at Cardozo for over a decade, which predates Strict Scrutiny. Yes, the school wouldn't have hired someone with those credentials on the right if they had a similar podcast, but I doubt you'd be out here claiming they didn't deserve the job if they did get hired

I think this is a silly conversation, but again, the idea that someone who clerked for Posner and Stevens and has a number of published papers wouldn't get a professor job without a podcast is pretty ridiculous.
good faith response - the claim isn't that someone with those credentials isn't eligible for a professorship without a podcast. The broader claim is, for clerkship purposes, Penn is lacking in professor quality/clout. And professors like Fairfax and Shaw, who are smart and capable, are maybe not Penn-level and are leveling up from their universities to Penn, at no clear benefit to Penn students. And it's worth noticing that they share Obama White House connections and a certain brand of outspoken, imprecise liberalism that Penn avoids like the plague on the right, even though those type on the right would help Penn students in the clerkship search. like they do at Notre Dame

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also, she is visiting as a trial run for a full time professorship, so i concede it is premature because they might not ultimately hire her

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

good faith response - the claim isn't that someone with those credentials isn't eligible for a professorship without a podcast. The broader claim is, for clerkship purposes, Penn is lacking in professor quality/clout. And professors like Fairfax and Shaw, who are smart and capable, are maybe not Penn-level and are leveling up from their universities to Penn, at no clear benefit to Penn students. And it's worth noticing that they share Obama White House connections and a certain brand of outspoken, imprecise liberalism that Penn avoids like the plague on the right, even though those type on the right would help Penn students in the clerkship search. like they do at Notre Dame
I do not see evidence that Fairfax or Shaw lack connections/clout. Shaw seems well-connected and we don’t have many liberal professors with clout and her level of name recognition. I don’t know anything about the clerkship committee but Fairfax is on it—does she have connections? Notre Dame has 2-3 times the number of conservative students as we do, so it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Personally I couldn’t care less about a professor’s body of academic work and would take a professor with actual work experience ten times out of ten. Too many professors with PhDs who haven’t ever practiced law (or in the case of Heaton, can’t!). Or professors like Wolff who are still drawing on anecdotes from their single year of practice. But I’m sure he writes some nice articles read by maybe three other law professors
It’s wild. The majority of law professors have no idea how to practice law. Frankly, I think a good chunk of them wouldn’t even know how to properly conduct themselves in an actual professional environment. I always found it so odd that students were intimidated by law professors because I felt like about 2/3 of them were socially inept weirdos with no common sense or practical wisdom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It’s wild. The majority of law professors have no idea how to practice law. Frankly, I think a good chunk of them wouldn’t even know how to properly conduct themselves in an actual professional environment. I always found it so odd that students were intimidated by law professors because I felt like about 2/3 of them were socially inept weirdos with no common sense or practical wisdom.
This is not an issue unique to Penn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:35 am

The question that the Hiring Committee should be asking is: what value does this prospective professor bring to Penn?

For Ossei-Owusu, Heaton, and plenty of others, that answer is none.

The school needs to do a serious re-evaluation of hiring practices. Fairfax herself brings little to the table, and her 1L contracts students will tell you she wasted hours upon hours of class time showing them various music videos with no rational relationship to the course content.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 am

Do the students on the appointments committee make hiring decisions or is it for show?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:35 am
The question that the Hiring Committee should be asking is: what value does this prospective professor bring to Penn?

For Ossei-Owusu, Heaton, and plenty of others, that answer is none.

The school needs to do a serious re-evaluation of hiring practices. Fairfax herself brings little to the table, and her 1L contracts students will tell you she wasted hours upon hours of class time showing them various music videos with no rational relationship to the course content.
Fairfax is on the board of FINRA and instead teaches boring ESG nonsense. Had high hopes for her but have been repeatedly disappointed. Bad panelist too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”