SCOTUS Clerkship Movement? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: SCOTUS Clerkship Movement?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:25 pm

Based on last year's timeline, Jackson is potentially onto the next round. Anyone hear anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:53 am
Hearing that the Chief has hired at least one more, I think for '25. NDLS, Thapar/Beaton. Not sure CJR has hired from ND before.
If this is right, I'm like 90% I know them and, if so, good for them. they shockingly dont suck
I think that he 100% knew how to play the game from Day 1 and loved doing it. Everybody at NDLS seemed to know that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hearing that the Chief has hired at least one more, I think for '25. NDLS, Thapar/Beaton. Not sure CJR has hired from ND before.
If this is right, I'm like 90% I know them and, if so, good for them. they shockingly dont suck
I think that he 100% knew how to play the game from Day 1 and loved doing it. Everybody at NDLS seemed to know that.
FYI I've heard of movement recently (not CJJR specifically).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone know of anything from KBJ, EK, or SS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have heard of KBJ and SS interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have heard of KBJ and SS interviews.
How does this work, do they schedule all the interviews at once or is it rolling?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:57 pm

Got dinged by KBJ. Congrats to whoever made it! Anyone know from where she hired?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:57 pm
Got dinged by KBJ. Congrats to whoever made it! Anyone know from where she hired?
no one has reported at my school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:22 pm

SS and KBJ both interviewed last month - SS hired at the time, KBJ this past weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:37 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 pm

New David Lat post. Initial reaction is that Biden appointees are not yet having a major impact on SCOTUS hiring. Heytens fed one, AliKhan fed two (both from the DC Court of Appeals, which is interesting). Jackson really does seem to be hiring from a wider pool.

On the conservative side, three 2024 feeds and two 2025 feeds for Friedrich, who only has three clerks, is nuts but not that new. The one controversial GMU girl got hired by Thomas (predictably). I feel like none of the Trump appointees are really feeding significantly more than the others except for Thapar and Katsas, and maybe Oldham; just a ton of semi-feeders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 pm
New David Lat post. Initial reaction is that Biden appointees are not yet having a major impact on SCOTUS hiring. Heytens fed one, AliKhan fed two (both from the DC Court of Appeals, which is interesting). Jackson really does seem to be hiring from a wider pool.

On the conservative side, three 2024 feeds and two 2025 feeds for Friedrich, who only has three clerks, is nuts but not that new. The one controversial GMU girl got hired by Thomas (predictably). I feel like none of the Trump appointees are really feeding significantly more than the others except for Thapar and Katsas, and maybe Oldham; just a ton of semi-feeders.
Not to bag too hard on Lat because he is probably the best source of legal news, but pretty funny for him to emphasize Hardiman's top-tier credentials by pointing to a bunch of things that would absolutely be influenced by having a conservative semi-feeder and SCOTUS shortlist judge as your father (strong legacy admissions to GULC, job at an "incredibly selective" conservative boutique, clerkships with conservative judges).

Reads like an LSAT question lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I wonder if Hardiman is the first ever evening student to get scotus

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:

To the contrary, most of GULC's recent SCOTUS clerks have been evening students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sparkle Sooknanan (Sotomayor) was also an evening student. It's not common, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The 2 Alikhan hires were DC OSG fellows who already had other feeder clerkships lined up that she then brought with her when she joined the bench as people she trusted (and obviously extremely competent).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not at all. Claire Cahill, another GULC evening student, is currently clerking at SCOTUS. In recent years, GULC evening students seem to outperform the day students not just at SCOTUS but with clerkships and jobs in general.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not at all. Claire Cahill, another GULC evening student, is currently clerking at SCOTUS. In recent years, GULC evening students seem to outperform the day students not just at SCOTUS but with clerkships and jobs in general.
Didn't mean it at all to be dismissive, I was just genuinely curious - that's fascinating. I guess their work experience helps a ton, but surprised it's that marked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It seems like the feeder pecking order for Trump appointees roughly goes:
1) Katsas
2) Friedrich
3) Thapar
4) Oldham
5) Newsom/Bibas
6) lots of semi-feeders

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Didn't mean it at all to be dismissive, I was just genuinely curious - that's fascinating. I guess their work experience helps a ton, but surprised it's that marked.
Self-selection, too. It's not that different from a free ride in Washington, DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm

I am never going to clerk on SCOTUS anyway but out of curiosity, how do you even apply? Is there somewhere the job gets posted, or an address that you mail something to? Or is it really such a small club that you only apply through a process of having some appellate judge you clerked for pass your app on to the justices?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm
I am never going to clerk on SCOTUS anyway but out of curiosity, how do you even apply? Is there somewhere the job gets posted, or an address that you mail something to? Or is it really such a small club that you only apply through a process of having some appellate judge you clerked for pass your app on to the justices?
You mail in an application, but unless you have connections, your odds are basically zero, except with KBJ it looks like.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”