Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Biden Judicial Nominees Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:09 am
Any word on if Chief Judge Gregory (CA4) is going senior sometime this summer? Might just be reading tea leaves, but his term as chief ends in July and it looks on OSCAR like he's only taking 3 term clerks for 2024 vs. the usual 4 for active judges. Curious who potential VA replacements would be---CA4 is so closely divided ideologically as is and already has one MD vacancy.
8-6 (or 9-6 with the MD vacancy filled) is closely divided? Lol.
Given the incompetence of the new White House Counsel (see the Ramirez nomination to CA5 and the slow pace of nominations in general this year) and the fact that the MD vacancy wasn’t filled before the midterms when Klain/Remus were still around, I wouldn’t be surprised if the MD seat is left open until 2025 and flips R as a result. That would leave CA4 split 8-7, so yes Gregory’s seat may well tip the balance if he goes senior too late and Old Man Joe fails to get it together / nominate a decent replacement.
Most circuits are closer than they appear. The 4th would flip Republican if Judges King (age 85 in 2025) and Gregory (age 73) were replaced by a GOP president. The 9th is also two seats from flipping and has three aging Clinton appointees.

On the other side, Democrats need one seat to tie the 11th and 2 to tie the 6th. The 6th has two Bush appointees who are over 70.

not2spicy4

New

Post by not2spicy4 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any word on if Chief Judge Gregory (CA4) is going senior sometime this summer? Might just be reading tea leaves, but his term as chief ends in July and it looks on OSCAR like he's only taking 3 term clerks for 2024 vs. the usual 4 for active judges. Curious who potential VA replacements would be---CA4 is so closely divided ideologically as is and already has one MD vacancy.
Given the incompetence of the new White House Counsel (see the Ramirez nomination to CA5 and the slow pace of nominations in general this year) and the fact that the MD vacancy wasn’t filled before the midterms when Klain/Remus were still around, I wouldn’t be surprised if the MD seat is left open until 2025 and flips R as a result. That would leave CA4 split 8-7, so yes Gregory’s seat may well tip the balance if he goes senior too late and Old Man Joe fails to get it together / nominate a decent replacement.
Most circuits are closer than they appear. The 4th would flip Republican if Judges King (age 85 in 2025) and Gregory (age 73) were replaced by a GOP president. The 9th is also two seats from flipping and has three aging Clinton appointees.

On the other side, Democrats need one seat to tie the 11th and 2 to tie the 6th. The 6th has two Bush appointees who are over 70.
I think Gregory is 69, not 73, so I wouldn't expect him to go senior anytime soon just based on age alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:49 pm

not2spicy4 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think Gregory is 69, not 73, so I wouldn't expect him to go senior anytime soon just based on age alone.
That's right, he's born in 1953--so that would make him 72 in 2025 (the nearest year that could have a Republican president), not 73.

not2spicy4

New

Post by not2spicy4 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:49 pm
not2spicy4 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's right, he's born in 1953--so that would make him 72 in 2025 (the nearest year that could have a Republican president), not 73.
Ah ok I see why you were using 2025 as the reference point. Still, if he is hiring 4 clerks for 2025 (as his OSCAR post says), that presumably signals an intent not to go senior that year. And from what I've heard through the grapevine, he's not particularly ideological/political, so I guess what I mean to say is that I'm skeptical that he'd time his retirement based on how the election might shake out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:27 pm

Looks like Jeffrey Bryan of the Minnesota Court of Appeals will be nominated to D MN. He looks highly qualified.

https://www.startribune.com/judge-jeffr ... 600284976/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 pm

any guesses who will be nominated to replace Stranch (assuming they get to it, which you'd think they'd want to)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 am

It's obviously going to be NC Solicitor General Ryan Park for the CA4 seat, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 am
It's obviously going to be NC Solicitor General Ryan Park for the CA4 seat, right?
Who knows, iirc Biden hasn’t nominated any state SGs except Heytens even though most people assumed he would. Perfectly possible it goes to an FPD or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Who knows, iirc Biden hasn’t nominated any state SGs except Heytens even though most people assumed he would. Perfectly possible it goes to an FPD or something.
This administration has mostly tried to get Republican blue slips for circuit nominees even those aren’t necessary anymore (with the exception of Tennessee, likely because Blackburn was never going to return a blue slip for anyone), and I’m skeptical that the NC senators would sign off on Ryan Park. Looking at the recent red-state circuit nominees, a white guy with a prosecutor or military background seems more likely.

Of course, if NC senators are unreasonable and the WH gives up on trying to get blue slips, then maybe Park has a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
This administration has mostly tried to get Republican blue slips for circuit nominees even those aren’t necessary anymore (with the exception of Tennessee, likely because Blackburn was never going to return a blue slip for anyone), and I’m skeptical that the NC senators would sign off on Ryan Park. Looking at the recent red-state circuit nominees, a white guy with a prosecutor or military background seems more likely.

Of course, if NC senators are unreasonable and the WH gives up on trying to get blue slips, then maybe Park has a shot.
Yeah that’s another thing, plus Tillis has given some Biden nominees a fair shake and that’s something the White House rewards.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”