Clerkship Sample: nothing from LS; Firm won't let me

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 329135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Clerkship Sample: nothing from LS; Firm won't let me

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 am

I did no substantial written work product in law school and my big law firm won't let me use any of my work as a sample. It seems my only option is to draft something from scratch. I was thinking an MSJ. The obvious flaw is that I get to invent my own facts.

Any guidance would be appreciated (how difficult should I make my law, how hairy my facts, what type of writing)?


Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Clerkship Sample: nothing from LS; Firm won't let me

Postby ExperssioUnius » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 am

Three options come to mind to avoid having to create your own facts:

(1) Contact your law school's moot court board and see if they'll give you a copy of a recent moot court case. Alternatively, there are usually some moot court style questions floating around online or available for purchase.

(2) Log into Pacer, find a case with a recently filed and pending motion for SMJ and draft an mock opinion based on the briefs. You also could likely find these materials through Bloomberg

(3) Draft an appellate opinion based on a set of appellate briefs. I think there are a few circuits and state supreme courts, and certainly the Supreme Court, that make the briefs publicly available for free. If you want to find something lower profile, you could always use some cert petitions and pretend they are briefs for an appeal.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.