2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Is it absolutely out of the question for someone who's accepted a firm offer from SA to be shopping post-clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it absolutely out of the question for someone who's accepted a firm offer from SA to be shopping post-clerkship?
You'll get varying opinions on this but as someone who practiced for several years before currently clerking, and thus having big law experience, I don't think you should really let it stop you. I'd hope you'd have a good reason, and I'd be careful in the same market because legal markets are small, even in the largest cities, but you don't really owe anyone shit, they definitely don't think they owe you shit, and, frankly, it's pretty unlikely they care if you show up at all. But you never know when someone will get vindictive. Usually too busy though.

TL;DR. No, but have a reason, even if it's only $. And obviously some assurance you can get a position in the absurdly rare circumstance you lose the offer for flirting with another firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it absolutely out of the question for someone who's accepted a firm offer from SA to be shopping post-clerkship?
The V10 firm that I summered at told me that if I accepted the post-clerkship offer and subsequently accepted an offer somewhere else all that I would have to do is pay back any money that they had given me up to that point. So you may burn a bridge with that firm, but if you're not going there in the first place it probably doesn't matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 am

Wednesday now. It would be a fine day for an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Just saw that A&P removed their posting for a judicial clerk litigation associate position in DC. There is now a bankruptcy spot.

Anyone have further insight?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm

District court clerk at the top of my class at a T30. No offers yet. Kind of starting to freak out. Thought it would be way easier to land something. Guess the litigation market is just saturated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk at the top of my class at a T30. No offers yet. Kind of starting to freak out. Thought it would be way easier to land something. Guess the litigation market is just saturated.
No interviews either? I think offers after interviews are moving slower this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk at the top of my class at a T30. No offers yet. Kind of starting to freak out. Thought it would be way easier to land something. Guess the litigation market is just saturated.
Can I ask which market you're targeting? It's still (relatively) early in the game unless you're looking exclusively at DC (which, based on earlier posts, just seems like bad news bears).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can I ask which market you're targeting? It's still (relatively) early in the game unless you're looking exclusively at DC (which, based on earlier posts, just seems like bad news bears).
Applied broadly to NY, D.C., Chicago, Atlanta and California. Had two interviews, one in a major market and one in a secondary market. No offers or rejections yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Applied broadly to NY, D.C., Chicago, Atlanta and California. Had two interviews, one in a major market and one in a secondary market. No offers or rejections yet.
I wouldn't give up hope yet. I interviewed at a NY firm two weeks ago exactly and the recruiting director said it would be "weeks" to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn't give up hope yet. I interviewed at a NY firm two weeks ago exactly and the recruiting director said it would be "weeks" to hear back.
I'm not giving up on the callbacks I've had, but am very disappointed that I haven't gotten more interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Weeks, huh? I had DC interviews three weeks ago, so I guess I'll keep on hoping on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Friend in another Chambers just received an offer from a NY V20 so things are definitely grinding along.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Someone tell me it would be obnoxious to check on my status when my interview was three weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Kirkland Chicago ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Mind sharing your stats on the Kirkland ding? And how'd it come?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 am

DJ clerk with an incredibly well-connected, helpful, friendly judge. It's funny how two years ago I got this job and thought I could waltz into my next job. (I didn't SA anywhere cuz I did mediocrely at a mediocre law school my 1L year.)

Starting to freak out a little, especially after hearing today from a friend clerking at CDCA that things aren't falling into his lap either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mind sharing your stats on the Kirkland ding? And how'd it come?
I am the definition of mediocrity, so it may not mean much ITT.

E-mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:07 am

Got a late evening ding from Mayer Brown NY last night. Guess they work even their recruiters hard, maybe it's for the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 am

Skadden NY ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:22 am

I have an offer from a firm in a tiny, but very desirable market. Can I use this as leverage to get firms I've already interviewed with in a major market to expedite their decision about my application? Or will the big market firms not care that I have an offer in an unrelated market?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from a firm in a tiny, but very desirable market. Can I use this as leverage to get firms I've already interviewed with in a major market to expedite their decision about my application? Or will the big market firms not care that I have an offer in an unrelated market?
Might speed things along, but it's unlikely to give you a lot of leverage w/r/t getting an offer. Couldn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 pm

How long can one expect firms to hold offers during this process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Current AIII clerk applying for position at biglaw and similar ilk firms in large markets. My question is this, how many years of credit should I push for at a lock-step firm coming out of the clerkship in fall 2017?

I have a "non-traditional" resume in that I graduated in 2012, worked for a boutique lit shop in a secondary market for 1.5 years, hung my own shingle/consulted for a year, and worked for a 40 lawyer firm for another 1.5 years before clerking. It is likely that most of the big firms will have never even heard of my previous firms, but we did work with and against some of them. My lit experience is solid: managed my cases, discovery, many depositions, arguing motions, directing/crossing witnesses in bench trials, prep for jury trials, etc.

I am assuming that my year of self-employment will not be considered. I am assuming I will get credit for my year of clerking. That leaves me between a second year and a fourth year. Anyone have insight on the grey area?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”