COA "exit" options Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA "exit" options

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:00 am

What exit options - especially into government - are available after someone does consecutive DC and COA clerkships (assume in more "competitive" district/circuit)? Do most people return to the biglaw firm they summered/worked for prior? Trade up/to different market? What about good government positions like in the DOJ or State for example? Trying to decide if this is the right route for me. Thanks.

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: COA "exit" options

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Trying to figure out... if doing a prestigious COA clerkship is the right route for you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Trying to figure out the likelihood of getting good government positions afterward. This forum mostly talks about returning to firms. What if I want to use the clerkship to enter government.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:26 pm

DOJ honors is only available if you clerk straight out of law school (i.e., you don't spend a year working at a firm). I've heard other agency honors programs are more flexible (e.g., they'll take you if your clerkship ends within three years of graduating), but do your diligence on that. My impression is that COA -> AUSA is rare (if even possible). State agencies also hire clerks.

You'll have to be a bit more specific if you want specific help.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:35 pm

sundance95 wrote:DOJ honors is only available if you clerk straight out of law school (i.e., you don't spend a year working at a firm). I've heard other agency honors programs are more flexible (e.g., they'll take you if your clerkship ends within three years of graduating), but do your diligence on that. My impression is that COA -> AUSA is rare (if even possible). State agencies also hire clerks.

Generally, what's the best way to set yourself up for a AUSA job? Go back to a firm? That's what I've heard but I guess I've been holding out hope that if I do the D. Ct. -> COA clerkships that I might be a special snowflake who gets lucky and ends up with the USAO.(I'm not the OP BTW)

At this juncture, I'm thinking I'd like to avoid biglaw. Maybe that will change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:38 pm

lawman84 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:DOJ honors is only available if you clerk straight out of law school (i.e., you don't spend a year working at a firm). I've heard other agency honors programs are more flexible (e.g., they'll take you if your clerkship ends within three years of graduating), but do your diligence on that. My impression is that COA -> AUSA is rare (if even possible). State agencies also hire clerks.

Generally, what's the best way to set yourself up for a AUSA job? Go back to a firm? That's what I've heard but I guess I've been holding out hope that if I do the D. Ct. -> COA clerkships that I might be a special snowflake who gets lucky and ends up with the USAO.(I'm not the OP BTW)

At this juncture, I'm thinking I'd like to avoid biglaw. Maybe that will change.
The best path (as it's been explained to me) is to go to an office with former AUSAs that has sent attorneys to USAOs, and do your best work.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:44 pm

sundance95 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

The best path (as it's been explained to me) is to go to an office with former AUSAs that has sent attorneys to USAOs, and do your best work.
I guess the good news is that shouldn't be too hard for me if I can even get a COA clerkship. I don't know if you know but how long are you typically expected to stay in biglaw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:45 pm

lawman84 wrote:

If you do the clerkship straight out of school, like someone said, you're eligible to apply through the honors program, though not all offices participate by any means.

I do know of a couple of people who have done DCt --> USAO, but it's rare - they are more likely to hire people with 3-5 years experience. Some offices prefer that experience to be biglaw, others prefer state/military prosecutors. It will depend on the office. Connections are always helpful, either way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:54 pm

What about SEC enforcement? Dep't of State? I really have no bearing on how competitive these positions are in general, and how much a COA, etc. helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

If you do the clerkship straight out of school, like someone said, you're eligible to apply through the honors program, though not all offices participate by any means.

I do know of a couple of people who have done DCt --> USAO, but it's rare - they are more likely to hire people with 3-5 years experience. Some offices prefer that experience to be biglaw, others prefer state/military prosecutors. It will depend on the office. Connections are always helpful, either way.
That's a good point. I forgot about that.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:16 pm

If your goal is government, my guess is that District Court Clerkship + Litigation At A Firm would open up more doors for you than District Court Clerkship + COA Clerkship. But if you're intent on avoiding private practice altogether, then I would do a COA clerkship if for no other reason than that it will increase your connections. Your COA judge, as well as your fellow clerks (and the judge's alumni clerks), will likely have connections in government offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:37 pm

rpupkin wrote:If your goal is government, my guess is that District Court Clerkship + Litigation At A Firm would open up more doors for you than District Court Clerkship + COA Clerkship. But if you're intent on avoiding private practice altogether, then I would do a COA clerkship if for no other reason than that it will increase your connections. Your COA judge, as well as your fellow clerks (and the judge's alumni clerks), will likely have connections in government offices.
Agree with this, especially if you're looking to litigate. COA clerkships can be seen as too removed from the courtroom, and as suggesting you want to write appeals rather than get into the courtroom (at least for some USAOs).

And SEC and State are going to be similar (to the extent I can tell; I don't think I know or have even heard of anyone going to State). The feds just generally tend to prefer experience, unless hiring through an honors program (which are often the only option for entry-level hiring).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Have you considered working for the USDA in some capacity?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about SEC enforcement? Dep't of State? I really have no bearing on how competitive these positions are in general, and how much a COA, etc. helps.
Both pretty competitive. State more so, I think. A fancy COA clerkship is certainly not a guarantee of a State Dep't gig (though it can't hurt).

I also think many of the folks SEC hires have some relevant securities-related work experience, so I don't know that a clerkship alone would get you there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 am

[deleted by post author - wrong forum]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”