Clerkship Recommenders Post-Law School Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Recommenders Post-Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:32 pm

I graduated three years ago from a T50 and have been working at a boutique litigation firm in a primarily federal practice area in a secondary market since 3L. While it's a long shot, I want to apply for federal clerkships with a district/magistrate judge who require post-law school work experience. (I have no geographic preference in this search.) I have a solid application package put together except for letters of rec. I'm not sure exactly who to approach, as I haven't kept in touch with profs (and, anyways, I've been practicing - pretty independently - for two and a half years, so T50 academic references seem inconsequential) and my firm is small enough that the partners wouldn't be happy if they found out I was looking to leave. I have asked three local practitioners who are familiar with my work through co-counseling on cases and bar association involvement but I'm not sure they'll write letter in a timely fashion. Suggestions?

Jchance

Silver

Re: Clerkship Recommenders Post-Law School

Post by Jchance » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Judges seem to have a more "relaxed" standard for graduate applicants, as they understand that graduates have a harder time getting academic recommendation letters. Just put the local counsels as your 3 references (on cover letter), and say something like recommendation letters available upon request.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”