Bar Trips and Clerking Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
greeksalad

New

Bar Trips and Clerking

Post by greeksalad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am

I suspect the answer may be "it depends on the judge's start date" but does anyone have any thoughts on post-bar trips before beginning their clerkships? I have a 2L SA position lined-up that I hope turns into a post-grad job but have a A3 clerkship beginning August 2017. I suspect I won't have a lot of $$$ to spend after the bar but I'm curious if other clerks have taken traditional post-bar trips either after the bar or after the clerkship.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Bar Trips and Clerking

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:52 am

Totally depends on how much time and money you have. And if you have to move cities to clerk (going to time and money). There's no reason not to take one. The trip is to celebrate/recover from taking the bar, regardless of what you do after, and that's when you need it most.

(Full disclosure: I didn't take one but I really wish I had.)

greeksalad

New

Post by greeksalad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The trip is to celebrate/recover from taking the bar, regardless of what you do after, and that's when you need it most.
Great advice. Did you take any time off after your clerkship to travel before beginning work?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:26 pm

No. I was moving, so I took about 5?weeks to deal with the move and take some time off, but I didn't travel. I needed the distraction after taking the bar way more than after my clerkship.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:36 pm

We have planned a trip after my clerkship, but my next step is still unclear, so it might require us to cancel. With that in mind, our planned trip is a road trip (Colorado, and then Yellowstone) and incurs no penalty for cancellation.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 pm

greeksalad wrote:I suspect the answer may be "it depends on the judge's start date" but does anyone have any thoughts on post-bar trips before beginning their clerkships? I have a 2L SA position lined-up that I hope turns into a post-grad job but have a A3 clerkship beginning August 2017. I suspect I won't have a lot of $$$ to spend after the bar but I'm curious if other clerks have taken traditional post-bar trips either after the bar or after the clerkship.
I did a "prebar" trip and am planning a post clerkship trip. The timing was kind of awful for after the bar for me--took the bar, moved cross country two days after, started clerking two weeks after that. That being said, other than serious FOMO I don't think I suffered in any way or was somehow overly stressed on that timeline. But, do whatever works for you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
greeksalad wrote:I suspect the answer may be "it depends on the judge's start date" but does anyone have any thoughts on post-bar trips before beginning their clerkships? I have a 2L SA position lined-up that I hope turns into a post-grad job but have a A3 clerkship beginning August 2017. I suspect I won't have a lot of $$$ to spend after the bar but I'm curious if other clerks have taken traditional post-bar trips either after the bar or after the clerkship.
I did a "prebar" trip and am planning a post clerkship trip. The timing was kind of awful for after the bar for me--took the bar, moved cross country two days after, started clerking two weeks after that. That being said, other than serious FOMO I don't think I suffered in any way or was somehow overly stressed on that timeline. But, do whatever works for you!
I had about a month between the bar and my clerkship. I took a 10-day trip with friends, and then used the remaining time to move and relax. It worked pretty well for me! Planning another 2-week trip for after my clerkship.

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 am

I took the Bar on a Tuesday/Wednesday. Took Thursday off to recover from a massive hangover. Started my clerkship on Friday.

But, on the back end, I took two months off to go golfing before starting biglaw. Those were the days...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”