Some clerkship questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Some clerkship questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Have a few questions, hoping you guys can help. Thanks in advance for your time.

Is there any general difference in competitiveness between SDNY judges in White Plains vs. Manhattan? Or in EDNY judges in Brooklyn vs. Central Islip?

How important are ties for COA clerkships?

The hiring timeline seems pretty random. For judges filled up for 2017 but not accepting apps for 2018, there's no way to tell when apps will open up, right? I should just keep checking into Oscar every week or so to see if they've started accepting apps?

I'm planning on using my 1L brief as a writing sample. The introduction is pretty strongly worded and potentially alienating, but my LRW professor thought it was compelling. Should I edit this section to be more dispassionate? Or does this depend on the judge?

deuceindc

Bronze

Re: Some clerkship questions

Post by deuceindc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The hiring timeline seems pretty random. For judges filled up for 2017 but not accepting apps for 2018, there's no way to tell when apps will open up, right? I should just keep checking into Oscar every week or so to see if they've started accepting apps?
Yes, or set an email alert.
Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning on using my 1L brief as a writing sample. The introduction is pretty strongly worded and potentially alienating, but my LRW professor thought it was compelling. Should I edit this section to be more dispassionate? Or does this depend on the judge?
You shouldn't use a law school brief as your writing sample.

Those are based on things I've heard from my clerkship advisor. I haven't looked into your first two questions, but gut calls:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there any general difference in competitiveness between SDNY judges in White Plains vs. Manhattan? Or in EDNY judges in Brooklyn vs. Central Islip?
It seems like the competition for district judges is based on their geographic location, not which court they sit in.
Anonymous User wrote:How important are ties for COA clerkships?
Very little at most, and falling sharply with the prestige of the court.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Some clerkship questions

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:57 pm

The thing with clerkship writing samples is that the earlier the hiring goes, the fewer decent samples people are going to have. So if your law school brief is your best writing, then use it. If you have something real-world that you can use, though, that's probably better, if possible (also, you will need to explain the degree of editing by a third-party - judges often want to see something you've written that no one else has edited; I used a moot court competition brief for this purpose, since you can't get help for a competition).

Wrt to the impassioned opening - I can't say whether you should edit it or not. Just keep in mind that writing a brief and writing for a judge are very different. It will be clear that your brief is advocacy rather than judicial writing, so the judge won't expect it to be something it's not. I guess the thing to think about is, if the brief were a real world brief, and was going to be filed with a real court, would you be willing to stand behind that opening? or, would you only submit something like that in the artificial context of a law school class? One thing a judge will probably be thinking about when reading a writing sample is what it shows about your judgment.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”