Is the D.C. Circuit really that prestigious? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dweiss1112

New

Is the D.C. Circuit really that prestigious?

Post by dweiss1112 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:17 am

1L here. General sense is that all clerkships are prestigious, with appellate being more desirable than district. But what's with all the fuss about the D.C. Circuit? Is it really any more prestigious than any other circuit court?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:40 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Re: Is the D.C. Circuit really that prestigious?

Post by hdunlop » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:16 am

No.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:31 pm

dweiss1112 wrote:1L here. General sense is that all clerkships are prestigious, with appellate being more desirable than district. But what's with all the fuss about the D.C. Circuit? Is it really any more prestigious than any other circuit court?
If your appellate judge goes onto the Supreme Court that's a pretty big deal. More justices come from DC Circuit than the others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:34 pm

That last sentence should answer your question p well. All are prestigious. Some are more prestigious than others. But don't "choose" to the limited extent you can based on prestige other than, if you have a shot, apply.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 pm

dweiss1112 wrote:General sense is that all clerkships are prestigious, with appellate being more desirable than district.
Well, sure, but I think that's only really true if one wants to do appellate work. If you want to be a regular old litigator, there's probably pretty diminishing returns to doing a COA clerkship, and it's going to cost you a lot of money.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:22 pm

The DC Cir is considered more "prestigious" and "important" because it handles so many newsworthy cases given that so much of its docket is challenging federal laws/federal government actions that affect the entire country.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
dweiss1112 wrote:General sense is that all clerkships are prestigious, with appellate being more desirable than district.
Well, sure, but I think that's only really true if one wants to do appellate work.
Not true

Traynor Brah wrote:If you want to be a regular old litigator, there's probably pretty diminishing returns to doing a COA clerkship, and it's going to cost you a lot of money.
Maybe true if you mean you have to do two clerkships

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 pm

I clerked for the 9th Circuit. My buddies on the DC Circuit worked on way fewer habeas, 1983, and immigration cases, but they had way more admin law cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat. Something about less prisons and miles of international border, but more administrative agencies. I didn't love admin cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat, but I absolutely hated habeas, 1983, and immigration cases. So I think the DC Circuit's docket is decidedly > the 9th Circuit's docket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I clerked for the 9th Circuit. My buddies on the DC Circuit worked on way fewer habeas, 1983, and immigration cases, but they had way more admin law cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat. Something about less prisons and miles of international border, but more administrative agencies. I didn't love admin cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat, but I absolutely hated habeas, 1983, and immigration cases. So I think the DC Circuit's docket is decidedly > the 9th Circuit's docket.
I clerk for a D.Ct. in the 9th and the amount of habeas and 1983 cases we see is astounding. So is the amount of 1983/habeas opinions the 9th churns out on what seems to be a weekly basis. My friend who clerked at the D.C. district court says a year there was enough for her to never want to see another FOIA case.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I clerked for the 9th Circuit. My buddies on the DC Circuit worked on way fewer habeas, 1983, and immigration cases, but they had way more admin law cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat. Something about less prisons and miles of international border, but more administrative agencies. I didn't love admin cases dealing with protecting tortoise breeding habitat, but I absolutely hated habeas, 1983, and immigration cases. So I think the DC Circuit's docket is decidedly > the 9th Circuit's docket.
The DC Circuit is also decidedly less busy than the Ninth Circuit.

2012LawGrad

New

Post by 2012LawGrad » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Saw thread title, thought "90% chance of 1L," clicked, and first sentence confirmed it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”