Recommendation from SA partner Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Recommendation from SA partner

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Note that some minor details have been changed for anonymity. I'm a 3L at a second-tier school in a major metropolitan area. Top 5% of my class, law review, all that good stuff. There is a judge still hiring for 2017 in a competitive district (think DDC, ND Ill, SDNY, CD Cal) who is a former partner at my summer associate firm where I am returning in the fall. The closest relationship I have to a partner at my firm is a former alum from my school who is a big champion for students from my school and actively involved in alumni groups and whatnot. I interviewed with him during the recruitment process and did a little bit, but not a ton of work for him this summer. Do you think it would be appropriate to ask him to write a letter of recommendation specifically for this judge?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Re: Recommendation from SA partner

Post by sflyr2016 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 am

This is really interesting. First find out whether your firm supports clerkships. Then try finding out that particular partner's stands on them. If your firm is pro-clerking, and this is guy is too, then I don't see why not. I am sure they have a relationship or common friends, so his rec should carry more weight than a random professor's. Also I think the firm will appreciate you bringing it up now rather than surprising them later. First things first, though, try to figure out whether your firm would even be happy about you clerking because if they wouldn't, then you shouldn't bring it up unless and until you've accepted one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 am

First find out whether your firm supports clerkships. Then try finding out that particular partner's stands on them.
OP here. Firm is absolutely pro clerking. Not sure about this partner. I could email him to set up a time to chat and feel him out on it though. If supportive, could also lead to a natural segue to asking for the letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
First find out whether your firm supports clerkships. Then try finding out that particular partner's stands on them.
OP here. Firm is absolutely pro clerking. Not sure about this partner. I could email him to set up a time to chat and feel him out on it though. If supportive, could also lead to a natural segue to asking for the letter.
Email him asking to chat is fine, but I will say it sounds like the right ask here is for him to make a call on your behalf, not write a letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Email him asking to chat is fine, but I will say it sounds like the right ask here is for him to make a call on your behalf, not write a letter.
OP again. This seems like a both/and not either/or, or do you not want someone to do both?

jessicapoul

New

Post by jessicapoul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:53 am

I think we should have the best partner for SA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”