Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:22 pm

Lol…might they possibly mean Sung? If so, again: lol…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm

Yeah I don't know anyone who thinks Nguyen is one of the most liberal judges on CA9. The Biden appointees generally seem more liberal than Nguyen or any of the Obama appointees (though Holly Thomas has been more conservative than I would've expected from her background), but it still seems too early to tell who among the Biden appointees will be the most liberal.

Nor have I ever heard anything about Bade being a "lightweight" (and by the way, what does that even mean?). On the other hand, I have heard that Koh is still pretty tough to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm
Yeah I don't know anyone who thinks Nguyen is one of the most liberal judges on CA9. The Biden appointees generally seem more liberal than Nguyen or any of the Obama appointees (though Holly Thomas has been more conservative than I would've expected from her background), but it still seems too early to tell who among the Biden appointees will be the most liberal.

Nor have I ever heard anything about Bade being a "lightweight" (and by the way, what does that even mean?). On the other hand, I have heard that Koh is still pretty tough to work for.
I think the poster means “intellectual lightweight.” It’s an odd choice. I’m starting to wonder if there’s someone posting this same epithet about other judges on here in other threads.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Original Nguyen comment is wildly off. Is she less of a snob when it comes to grades and credentials than some of the other judges mentioned? Yes, and that's a good thing. More judges should be like that.

Also - most extreme on either political spectrum isn't a bad thing. From the old guard of the 9th circuit, Fletcher and Reinhardt were some of the most left wing judges in the country and also some of the biggest feeders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I think the poster means “intellectual lightweight.” It’s an odd choice. I’m starting to wonder if there’s someone posting this same epithet about other judges on here in other threads.
In fairness, it was in contrast to "heavy hitters" from a post above, but frankly I'm not sure what "heavy hitters" means either. Like in a certain sense, Bumatay is more of a "heavy hitter" than Bress because Bumatay has a better pulse on the Supreme Court/makes more headlines with his opinions, even though (I gather) most consider Bress to be the sharper judicial mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Original Nguyen comment is wildly off. Is she less of a snob when it comes to grades and credentials than some of the other judges mentioned? Yes, and that's a good thing. More judges should be like that.

Also - most extreme on either political spectrum isn't a bad thing. From the old guard of the 9th circuit, Fletcher and Reinhardt were some of the most left wing judges in the country and also some of the biggest feeders.
True, the original comment just seemed like a warning to prospective clerks that Nguyen was an aggressive left-winger, which just isn't the truth at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:00 pm

Any news on Judge Nelson? Would top 15-20% at T6 have a shot or na

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:00 pm
Yes, for both Judge Nelsons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:00 pm
Yes, for both Judge Nelsons.
If it is Ryan Nelson based on his clerk hiring I assume he's very ideologically conscious?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:30 pm
I'd argue Stras Gruender and Colloton have a lot of cache in the prestige-whore conservative legal circles and that's like 30% of the actives on CA8
Agree with the above, and the prior poster that CA1 has Barron. To bring this back somewhat back on track...who are the current "heavy hitters" on CA9 who aren't senior status? (However you might define that. Obviously there's feeders/semi-feeders, but I'm also thinking in terms of general "prestige" to a typical BigLaw hiring audience.)
Ikuta, Friedland, and Bress are probably the three heaviest hitters on CA9 who are not senior. Collins and Owens are also very well-respected, and Bumatay has a lot of credibility in conservative circles, but those are the ones who come to mind. Many of the senior judges (O'Scannlain, Fletcher, Graber, Thomas, McKeown, Bybee, Hurwitz, and potentially others) are also very well-regarded.
This is a good list. I’d add Koh as a ‘heavy hitter’ contender and Miller to the ‘very well-respected’ list.

Also, ranking non-feeder judges is a little silly, but most of the other active judges are well-respected in the circuit and nationwide. The only active judges I’d think twice about clerking for are VanDyke (because of his far-right ideology), Bade (lightweight), and Nguyen (not as far-left as VanDyke is far-right, but would still give me pause).
I agree that most of the judges in the Ninth Circuit are generally well-respected. I think it's also worth thinking about who would be a good boss. Many of the judges in the Ninth Circuit--including both "heavy hitters" and lesser-known judges--are reported to be very tough bosses with difficult personalities. A few are supposed to be really wonderful bosses (I've heard this about Sidney Thomas, Tallman, Bybee, and Lee, but I'm sure there are others).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd argue Stras Gruender and Colloton have a lot of cache in the prestige-whore conservative legal circles and that's like 30% of the actives on CA8
Agree with the above, and the prior poster that CA1 has Barron. To bring this back somewhat back on track...who are the current "heavy hitters" on CA9 who aren't senior status? (However you might define that. Obviously there's feeders/semi-feeders, but I'm also thinking in terms of general "prestige" to a typical BigLaw hiring audience.)
Ikuta, Friedland, and Bress are probably the three heaviest hitters on CA9 who are not senior. Collins and Owens are also very well-respected, and Bumatay has a lot of credibility in conservative circles, but those are the ones who come to mind. Many of the senior judges (O'Scannlain, Fletcher, Graber, Thomas, McKeown, Bybee, Hurwitz, and potentially others) are also very well-regarded.
This is a good list. I’d add Koh as a ‘heavy hitter’ contender and Miller to the ‘very well-respected’ list.

Also, ranking non-feeder judges is a little silly, but most of the other active judges are well-respected in the circuit and nationwide. The only active judges I’d think twice about clerking for are VanDyke (because of his far-right ideology), Bade (lightweight), and Nguyen (not as far-left as VanDyke is far-right, but would still give me pause).
I agree that most of the judges in the Ninth Circuit are generally well-respected. I think it's also worth thinking about who would be a good boss. Many of the judges in the Ninth Circuit--including both "heavy hitters" and lesser-known judges--are reported to be very tough bosses with difficult personalities. A few are supposed to be really wonderful bosses (I've heard this about Sidney Thomas, Tallman, Bybee, and Lee, but I'm sure there are others).
I cannot say enough good things about Judge Friedland. As brilliant as she is kind. Just terrific in all respects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:32 pm

Any info on Judge Zilly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would actually invert that, the circuit has more good bosses than bad, although I 100 percent endorse your list of good bosses as those who are *exceptionally* good.

The "difficult personalities" watch list starts with Berzon, Bea, and Wardlaw. Ikuta is awkward and has long hours but I wouldn't consider her a difficult personality in the way those three are. Not sure on the Biden nominees.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would actually invert that, the circuit has more good bosses than bad, although I 100 percent endorse your list of good bosses as those who are *exceptionally* good.

The "difficult personalities" watch list starts with Berzon, Bea, and Wardlaw. Ikuta is awkward and has long hours but I wouldn't consider her a difficult personality in the way those three are. Not sure on the Biden nominees.
Koh I have heard not great things about as a boss. It’s too bad because I really like her personally based on my interactions with her over the years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm

What's the deal with Thompson's 7-month and 9-month clerkships? Saw that they expired already, but those are weird (and soon)!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm
What's the deal with Thompson's 7-month and 9-month clerkships? Saw that they expired already, but those are weird (and soon)!
All three of her clerks quit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Oh. That's... concerning. Why?

Edit: Wait, she only ever hired for 1-year clerkships it looks like. Does that mean that the 9-monther (who would have started in August) quit in advance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wtf, how bad must that clerkship be? How are chambers even operating?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:43 am

Anyone know anything about how Sanchez is as a boss?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:43 am
I have heard negative things, but no details about why he is a bad boss—but apparently not pleasant. He also recently fired a clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard negative things, but no details about why he is a bad boss—but apparently not pleasant. He also recently fired a clerk.
Yikes, thanks. Any thoughts on Mendoza or Sung?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any details on the firing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any details on the firing?
I don’t have any. People are expectedly tigh-lipped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm

What is with WD Wash. judges and requiring an AO78 form and extremely expansive cover letter compared to basically every other judge in the country? I get that you want to filter candidates but I hardly think either gives you more information (which is why no one else does this)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm
What is with WD Wash. judges and requiring an AO78 form and extremely expansive cover letter compared to basically every other judge in the country? I get that you want to filter candidates but I hardly think either gives you more information (which is why no one else does this)
You'll have to fill out an AO78 if you get the job anyway, might as well get it done now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”