Feeler: MPVB grades for Flyover D.Ct. Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Feeler: MPVB grades for Flyover D.Ct. Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I have a solid amount of pre-LS work experience, all in public interest work.
I just received notice that I comp'd onto the journal of my choice (not LR), and I am on the boards of two pro bono projects.
My grades are solid, but not spectacular (just below top-1/3) at MPVB.
I have really good personal/family ties to four "flyover" districts where I'm really interested in working.
I am a 1L right now, so obviously my grades could change after this semester, but for the sake of this question let's say they hold steady.
Realistically what are my chances at a District Court Clerkship in the more rural districts where I'm interested in working?

Any feedback on chances/soft cutoffs or advice on how to structure my next year to maximize my shot would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Feeler: MPVB grades for Flyover D.Ct. Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm

You could be in for an up-hill climb. Folks with slightly higher grades (think top 25%) will probably have the same idea, and some flyover district judges would take top 5% at a local school over top third at MVPB. Still, it can't hurt to apply when the time comes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Would it help that I went to undergrad at the flagship state school of the state where two of the districts sit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it help that I went to undergrad at the flagship state school of the state where two of the districts sit?
Local connections can be very helpful but generally aren't sufficient. Assuming your GPA stays roughly the same, I think you might have most luck applying as an alum after getting a year or two of work experience under your belt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”