Let's Talk 3rd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 3rd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:07 am
Anybody else apply to Chung? Not sure what to expect timing-wise (understanding the app just closed yesterday and she is sitting next week). The position on OSCAR changed to expired and it says she’s not hiring, but I think that’s a function of the application window closing.
I applied but haven’t heard anything.
I also applied but haven’t heard. Has anyone heard of her moving on apps?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:07 pm

Maybe we’re the only 3 who managed to apply in the 3 weeks the posting was available! :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 pm

What are folks thoughts on Kent Jordan? Is he hiring for 2025?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 pm
What are folks thoughts on Kent Jordan? Is he hiring for 2025?
Not a KAJ clerk but friends with current and former clerks. Good chambers culture, excellent Delaware connections. If you want to live in DE / Philly long-term, a great choice. Is interested in patents even though he'll never see those cases on appeal; an application with a demonstrated interest in patent would be appealing, I'd think. No idea if he's open in 2025.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:37 am
Shwartz can be pretty intense, abrasive and demanding. Terrible hours -- 12 hour days are the norm. I'd avoid clerking for her.
Did you clerk for her or know someone who did?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:37 am
Shwartz can be pretty intense, abrasive and demanding. Terrible hours -- 12 hour days are the norm. I'd avoid clerking for her.
Did you clerk for her or know someone who did?
I've heard this to. She's in the rare genre of judges where former clerks have said negative things which is a huge red flag. Normally for me if a clerk is neutral or meh on a judge that is a red flag, but when the clerk tells me he did not have a good time I know to run away. Would only clerk for her if you desperately need a COA clerkship for some reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:14 am

has Krause started to interview for her listing from January? would loveee to know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 pm
I've heard this to. She's in the rare genre of judges where former clerks have said negative things which is a huge red flag. Normally for me if a clerk is neutral or meh on a judge that is a red flag, but when the clerk tells me he did not have a good time I know to run away. Would only clerk for her if you desperately need a COA clerkship for some reason.
We sat with PS several times, and I did not hear anything like that. More precisely, we gathered she was demanding, comparable with CAK, but not unreasonably so. For instance, she used to expect that NPOs would be ready on the submission day, which required circulation weeks earlier. Her clerks tended to put in longer hours than the rest of us on the somewhat-languid Third. But never did I get "bad boss" vibes rather than "kinda demanding but eh" vibes.

Not saying you're wrong; maybe she's gotten worse or maybe the people I know had OK years regardless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
We sat with PS several times, and I did not hear anything like that. More precisely, we gathered she was demanding, comparable with CAK, but not unreasonably so. For instance, she used to expect that NPOs would be ready on the submission day, which required circulation weeks earlier. Her clerks tended to put in longer hours than the rest of us on the somewhat-languid Third. But never did I get "bad boss" vibes rather than "kinda demanding but eh" vibes.

Not saying you're wrong; maybe she's gotten worse or maybe the people I know had OK years regardless.
Clerked on CA3, didn't sit with PS but agree with the above. My perception was that the clerks' hours were long because PS's process is exceptionally thorough for all cases, whether argued or submitted, published or unpublished opinion (e.g., at least in my year, they did full-blown bench memos for every case). Relatedly, it's not like the clerks are burning the midnight oil while PS coasts; she works quite hard herself. And despite the hours her clerks seemed to genuinely like and respect her. By no means a lifestyle clerkship, but don't think it's a categorical "avoid" like some of the other judges with multiple horror stories on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Recent CA3 clerk. I have no idea what it's like in PS's chambers, but I find myself confused by this post because CAK and PS put out dramatically different work product. CAK's work is generally excellent and clearly had a lot of effort put into it. She also is one of the bigger contributors to Circuit citizenship stuff - PFRs, comments on circulated opinions, etc. Not so much with PS - in fact, I found sitting with her a difficult experience, largely because it seemed like her work was not good. She felt actively hostile to oral argument and committed to affirming every case through a NPO. There were a few cases where we took a different view on an issue and tried to discuss it with her; she just wouldn't engage with us. All that to say: if her clerks are locked in chambers, I'm not sure what they're doing there.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Yes, they put out very different work product. PS seemed to aim for speedy resolutions, as you suggest; CAK swung for the fences. Both PS's clerks and CAK's clerks seemed to put in longer hours than the rest of us (and us=people with active circuit judges, not seniors). Perhaps both goals consumed a ton of time, albeit for different outcomes.

Agreed with PS seeming mildly hostile to oral argument. We suspected that she circulated NPOs so early to head off argument. We never had the privilege of being on a panel with both her and Ambro, but that must be a trip (Ambro seemed to love asking for argument).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Recent CA3 clerk. I have no idea what it's like in PS's chambers, but I find myself confused by this post because CAK and PS put out dramatically different work product. CAK's work is generally excellent and clearly had a lot of effort put into it. She also is one of the bigger contributors to Circuit citizenship stuff - PFRs, comments on circulated opinions, etc. Not so much with PS - in fact, I found sitting with her a difficult experience, largely because it seemed like her work was not good. She felt actively hostile to oral argument and committed to affirming every case through a NPO. There were a few cases where we took a different view on an issue and tried to discuss it with her; she just wouldn't engage with us. All that to say: if her clerks are locked in chambers, I'm not sure what they're doing there.
Another former CA3 clerk here: they do full bench memos on every case, even NPO affirms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:42 am

Anyone know what kind of grades are needed for Judge Wolson EDPA/ general hiring preferences?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 am

Anyone know anything about Phipps and what kind of grades are needed? Does he hire from t6? (penn/nyu)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 am
Anyone know anything about Phipps and what kind of grades are needed? Does he hire from t6? (penn/nyu)
Yes he hires at NYU I know one person who interviewed with magna grades. Said person wasn't fed soc. No idea re Penn.

thegamer123

New

Post by thegamer123 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes he hires at NYU I know one person who interviewed with magna grades. Said person wasn't fed soc. No idea re Penn.
Any kind of special reference? Or just submitted with high grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:57 pm

thegamer123 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Any kind of special reference? Or just submitted with high grades?
No idea. Highly doubt this person had a personal connection. He didn't get it in though, just interviewed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:17 pm

Has Fuentes retired or gone inactive? He hasn't hired yet for 2024 and the CA3 calendar shows no sittings for months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:39 pm

He usually hires very close to the start date and generally takes current district clerks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”