Oscar Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Oscar

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
quiver wrote:
ph14 wrote:OSCAR is such a joke. Here's how to do it: Have OSCAR (but have the website not be so buggy and difficult) and then (1) let anyone apply at anytime, no limitations (2) upload your transcript instead of manually entering all your grades.
Also, (3) make rec letters work like they did for LSAC (send them in once and simply check boxes for each app) so that recommenders don't have to manually upload a rec for every app and applicants don't have to wait for them to do so.
Oh, god, yes, exactly - this is the STUPIDEST part of OSCAR.
You guys will be happy to know that this is supposed to be fixed in the new version of OSCAR being released. Recommenders will have an option to auto-recommend someone whenever they add that recommender. (This gives them the option to do it without having to do it.)

So happy times to come.

As for (1) and (2)... I see (1) happening soon. Not from any inside knowledge, but just as a matter of pressure with the plan's decimation. I don't think (2) will ever happen.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
quiver wrote:
ph14 wrote:OSCAR is such a joke. Here's how to do it: Have OSCAR (but have the website not be so buggy and difficult) and then (1) let anyone apply at anytime, no limitations (2) upload your transcript instead of manually entering all your grades.
Also, (3) make rec letters work like they did for LSAC (send them in once and simply check boxes for each app) so that recommenders don't have to manually upload a rec for every app and applicants don't have to wait for them to do so.
Oh, god, yes, exactly - this is the STUPIDEST part of OSCAR.
You guys will be happy to know that this is supposed to be fixed in the new version of OSCAR being released. Recommenders will have an option to auto-recommend someone whenever they add that recommender. (This gives them the option to do it without having to do it.)

So happy times to come.

As for (1) and (2)... I see (1) happening soon. Not from any inside knowledge, but just as a matter of pressure with the plan's decimation. I don't think (2) will ever happen.
Wow, really?!? That's great (or, at least it's better). I'm glad OSCAR is moving in the right direction but I'm not sure why they needed 2 full weeks to upgrade during the (now) craziest time of clerkship hiring.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm

And OSCAR is back up and running. Note that they've added a field for judges to indicate whether they are on-plan or off-plan, but anyone's guess as to whether that will actually be used.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:And OSCAR is back up and running. Note that they've added a field for judges to indicate whether they are on-plan or off-plan, but anyone's guess as to whether that will actually be used.
It's being used by some judges - I still get "new clerkship" alerts by e-mail, and they've all said whether the judge is/isn't on the plan (some have said yes, some have said no). I suspect OSCAR won't take the posting if the field is blank. Does this mean judges who say they're following the plan will never hire early, though? No idea.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:And OSCAR is back up and running. Note that they've added a field for judges to indicate whether they are on-plan or off-plan, but anyone's guess as to whether that will actually be used.
It's being used by some judges - I still get "new clerkship" alerts by e-mail, and they've all said whether the judge is/isn't on the plan (some have said yes, some have said no). I suspect OSCAR won't take the posting if the field is blank. Does this mean judges who say they're following the plan will never hire early, though? No idea.
Agreed. I really should have said, "Anyone's guess if it it is accurate for any particular judge."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, it's not like there's an option for, "Following the plan, unless one of my former clerks is your prof and calls up and puts in a good word for you" or the like...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

under new Oscar, 2Ls still can't submit online until June plan date, correct?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Yup.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”