Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:21 pm
Gibbons maybe retiring? This is the only post I found on it, can anyone corroborate?

https://twitter.com/fedjudges/status/16 ... IFpGaoShig
Seems like it's real: https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 023-08-18/

Didn't think Gibbons would go senior under a Dem given her long history in Republican politics, but no complaints. On a similar note, why hasn't Stranch gone senior yet?
Gibbons has had some health issues in recent years, so I wonder if she has reached a point where she has to go senior to get the reduced workload.
She's pretty much recovered from those, I think she just went senior as she wants a Dem replacement given her shift left over the years.
The Reuters article also says that she’s going senior upon confirmation of a successor rather than immediately/on a set date, which seems to suggest it’s not health related. I’m her future clerks will be ok if that’s the case.

Other than Gibbons, are any of the CA6 Republicans moderate/not extremely ideological?
Can confirm first hand it is not health-related, I had heard through the grapevine that she was thinking about going senior for a while and I think she finally decided to do it. Would make sense she would want Biden to appoint a successor given her clerk hiring and opinions these past few years are solidly center-left.

Anyways, Gibbons is unique among the Republican appointees on that Circuit in that I can say she is very much to the left of what one would expect a typical Bush appointee to be. The rest of the Sixth Circuit judges in my opinion closely track their nominating party. Even "mavericks" like Sutton are more like the occasional maverick and are largely predictable.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:44 pm
Can confirm first hand it is not health-related, I had heard through the grapevine that she was thinking about going senior for a while and I think she finally decided to do it. Would make sense she would want Biden to appoint a successor given her clerk hiring and opinions these past few years are solidly center-left.

Anyways, Gibbons is unique among the Republican appointees on that Circuit in that I can say she is very much to the left of what one would expect a typical Bush appointee to be. The rest of the Sixth Circuit judges in my opinion closely track their nominating party. Even "mavericks" like Sutton are more like the occasional maverick and are largely predictable.
Excepting Helene White, for obvious reasons. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:16 pm

If Gibbons goes senior, Griffin would be the most moderate of the conservatives.

Still *pretty conservative*, but not as ideological as the Trump appointees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:16 pm
If Gibbons goes senior, Griffin would be the most moderate of the conservatives.

Really interesting that these judges like Griffin or Richman (5th Cir.) that libs freaked out about are now the moderates on these circuits

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Really interesting that these judges like Griffin or Richman (5th Cir.) that libs freaked out about are now the moderates on these circuits
That's less because they're moderate and more a commentary on how far to the right the Trump appointees are. Although, I would hesitate to lump the Trump appointees on the Sixth with the Trump appointees on the Fifth. The people on the Sixth, in the aggregate, are more serious jurists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:41 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:20 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's less because they're moderate and more a commentary on how far to the right the Trump appointees are. Although, I would hesitate to lump the Trump appointees on the Sixth with the Trump appointees on the Fifth. The people on the Sixth, in the aggregate, are more serious jurists.
I know you qualified this by stating you are considering them in the aggregate but referring to Bush as a serious jurist after his online antics is just so wild

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:41 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know you qualified this by stating you are considering them in the aggregate but referring to Bush as a serious jurist after his online antics is just so wild
Bush’s online posts are truly horrendous, but I’ve been surprised to see him voting with more liberals (even sometimes over a conservative dissent) in recent cases. Maybe he’s not too invested in outcomes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bush’s online posts are truly horrendous, but I’ve been surprised to see him voting with more liberals (even sometimes over a conservative dissent) in recent cases. Maybe he’s not too invested in outcomes?
I've also noticed that Nalbandian, who is still very conservative, has agreed with a "liberal" outcome in a few cases where other conservatives have dissented. It seems to me that other than Thapar, the CA6 conservatives aren't blatantly auditioning for SCOTUS the same way Oldham and Ho on CA5 (for example) are, which seems to lead them break away from Fed Soc dogma on occasion.

Who's likely to replace Gibbons?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've also noticed that Nalbandian, who is still very conservative, has agreed with a "liberal" outcome in a few cases where other conservatives have dissented. It seems to me that other than Thapar, the CA6 conservatives aren't blatantly auditioning for SCOTUS the same way Oldham and Ho on CA5 (for example) are, which seems to lead them break away from Fed Soc dogma on occasion.

Gibbons herself has a very extensive clerk network in the area. Chief Judge of W.D. Tenn. is a former clerk of hers as is the AUSA. Wonder if she will do that classic judge thing where they sort of wink and nod push one of their former clerks forward and say I may be willing to retire if you nominate them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wonder if Judge Camille McMullen is a contender, considering Blackburn and Haggerty pushed her over Mathis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:25 am

Does anyone have insight on Judge Davis? How is she as a boss? And what are her chambers like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:49 am

I think Judge Lipman is a strong contender to fill Judge Gibbons' seat. Not 100%, but I think she's in the running, for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?
I'm looking at judges in NDOH/SDOH/and Michigan, mostly. Calabrese, Barker, Morrison, etc.
Cole and Newman are probably the best conservative-appointed judges to clerk for in SDOH, and both are Trump appointees. Note that Cole is in Cincinnati and Newman is in Dayton—the latter may be less appealing for a lot of folks, even though Cincinnati isn't too far away.

As an aside, Marbley and Sargus are probably the best two liberal-appointed SDOH judges to clerk for, and both sit in Columbus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?
I'm looking at judges in NDOH/SDOH/and Michigan, mostly. Calabrese, Barker, Morrison, etc.
Cole and Newman are probably the best conservative-appointed judges to clerk for in SDOH, and both are Trump appointees. Note that Cole is in Cincinnati and Newman is in Dayton—the latter may be less appealing for a lot of folks, even though Cincinnati isn't too far away.

As an aside, Marbley and Sargus are probably the best two liberal-appointed SDOH judges to clerk for, and both sit in Columbus.
Are you basing this off of how their clerks like them, clerk outcomes, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you basing this off of how their clerks like them, clerk outcomes, etc.?
Both of those things, along with their reputations among practitioners (and judges on the 6th).

Doug Cole was an Easterbrook clerk and former Solicitor General of Ohio; he regularly gets clerks coming off of appellate clerkships. He'd be a strong candidate for a 6th Circuit post, if Republicans retake the White House. Have heard rave reviews from his clerks.

Newman clerked S.D. Ohio/6th and is well-connected and likeable—probably one of the more moderate Trump judges? Have less insight on his clerk outcomes, and don't know if he has any career clerks—which is more common in the district.

Sargus was the U.S. Attorney for S.D. Ohio, and is universally well-regarded from what I've heard from practitioners and 6th Circuit judges—probably more of a centrist/moderate Democrat. Also have less insight on his particular clerk outcomes—may have career clerks at this point.

Marbley is the current chief judge and seems to be a magnet for all the YSH clerks who come to S.D. Ohio. He's also just well-connected in general—he's close with R. Guy Cole (on the 6th), and Bloomekatz (also 6th) was his intern in law school. Like Doug Cole, he seems to get circuit clerks/send some clerks on to circuit clerkships. Obviously, it's too soon to tell right now, but Bloomekatz has feeder potential, and Marbley could be a strong in to an appellate clerkship with her.

In terms of these four as people/bosses/mentors, I've only heard positive things from their clerks and colleagues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:14 pm

Can confirm Newman is well-connected and seems well-liked. He has sent a few of his clerks to COA clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:12 am

What kind of cases does the Sixth get a lot of (relative to other non-DC circuits; I don't mean habeas or criminal appeals or whatever)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:27 pm

Has anyone heard from Judge Bush for 2026?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:27 pm
Has anyone heard from Judge Bush for 2026?
I know he's hired one, but I don't think he's full.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:32 pm

Hired recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:32 pm
Hired recently?
I think within the last month, but may be wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 pm

Anyone heard from Gibbons at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 pm

Any news on who's going to be nominated to replace Gibbons and Stranch? If they wait any longer, will the nominee even get confirmed before 2025?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:22 pm

Received an offer from Gibbons already. She may already be full.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:22 pm

Received an offer from Gibbons already. She may already be full.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”